• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Orbital vs Dual Action Orbital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbital vs Dual Action Orbital

Does anyone know if there is a difference?

I just realized that I have this Makita from about 5 years ago and I fired her up and it oscillates (as it vibrates) and rotates at the same time.
    Anyone try this unit with some 5 inch pads? Ooooooooh sun please come out as I am just ecstatic with curiosity as to what this lil machine can do!

Im hoping its in between a DA and a rotary!

Re: Random Orbital vs Dual Action Orbital

In my experience, whenever devices are labeled as "Random Orbital" or simply "Orbital" they tend to not have any rotation at all - these are usually the 10 inch consumer tools that really don't do much but apply waxes. Most DA Polishers are descended from sanders, as was the Porter Cable 7424, but that's another thread.

Of course, judging by the picture... it doesn't exactly look like something you would want to use to detail with.. it's just awkward looking!

If you're looking for a cross between a rotary and a DA.. well, try the FLEX XC 3401; it is a dual-action polisher that has a "Forced rotation" mechanism that enables the pad to continue spinning under load - similar to a rotary, and also has a wider orbit than a standard DA polisher.

Comment

interesting ... the Megs 110V2 is a dual action orbital so my thinking was the FIRST action was that it oscilates and the SECOND action is that it rotates .... exactly what this machine does.
      Further I did additional research on the net now and found this thread that has machines in different classes ... http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html
      and by the looks of it, this machine is in the arena of the Griots http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...-polisher.html which states it outperforms most DA's .... interesting to say the least.
      As for its looks ... it really doesnt look that much different from a PC or G110 ... it has the FLEX hand rest at the top, oversize hand guard and with the dust collector off it looks industry appropriate

Comment

LOL!

The picture showed the *carrying case* next to it.. but I failed to distinguish the two apart. You're right, it really isn't all that much different. Perhaps tonight is not a good night for me to attempt to be helpful

Try a pad on a test surface. Draw a vertical line up the side of the pad with a permanent marker to see if it in fact maintains some rotation while you apply pressure.

Comment

If its the model you pictured , that machine is designed for woodworking sanding , not automobile detailing, hense the sawdust collection bag attached.

Also read the specs it has a speed range from 4000-12000 opm, making it a sanding machine for carpentry.

Comment

It has a dinky orbit size, too, so not a lot of rotation compared to similar machines with larger strokes.

Still, it is a random orbital, so it creates a motion similar to a Griot's or a Meguiar's G110v2.

About twice the orbit speed (or driveshaft RPM) and 60% less orbit diameter.

A 5" MF disc wold be your best bet for polishing paint. If you polish paint with it, it'll probably shine a spot REAL fast due to the 12k speed, but without ample random rotation, it'll load the buffing pad up with paint residue, and there won't be much rotation, so 'cut' is more like a 'grind'.

A quick & easy read all about stroke size here.
            Okay, maybe not quick or easy. But the diagrams should help!
            Kevin Brown
            NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

The Flex absolutely rocks...and beats the PC hands down.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');