• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Correction/Swirl Removal Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Correction/Swirl Removal Query

I have seen that most of you guys are into paint correction i.e. you remove swirls and other minor defects. My question is that how often should one resort to swirl removal?

I have a 2010 Civic in black color and as per my limited knowledge it has a sensitive/soft paint and in only 10 months of ownership there are ALOT of swirls on my car. I managed to source out a bottle of SwirlX and plan on correcting the swirls on my car but I am concerned about how much clear coat I'll be taking off. I plan on keeping the car for a good 5 years and in my country tempratures can reach upto 45-50C! and my car is parked in the sun. Therefore, maintaing the paint surface in the long run in my utmost priority.

I therefore have the following questions which I would appreciate if you could answer

1)How often do you guys resort to swirl removal? As in how many times a year?
    2)Is it safe and how much clear coat will be taken off with a SwirlX?
    3)Do you guys recommend me to go on with swirl removal considering my situation above?

Thanks

Re: Paint Correction/Swirl Removal Query

1. Well, removing swirls by hand *****. You wont be doing it often.

2. Yes, it is safe. SwirlX is still on the mild side as far as things go. In fact, you may find you prefer Ultimate Compound if removing swirls all over a car by hand.

3. Sure, no reason not to. Just take your time, may have ot focus on a panel or two a day.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

That third question is really up to you. Do you feel like tiring yourself out wokring to get that perfect finish? I promise it can be done but it's not easy. I would do a panel per day (swir; removal and wax) for best results.

OR

Find a cleaner/wax that you like. I'm not sure what is available over there but you could go with a cleaner wax topped with a quality wax. The cleaner/wax will remove imbedded dirt, minor hazing and will hide minor swirls. You could do this step with that orbital you bought. This will be much easier ans sill deliver a great shine.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Removing the swirls will just be for looks.

Using some sort of polish and wax is what will protect it. As mentioned above, something like Cleaner/Wax or ColorX followed by a wax like Nxt 2.0 would be a fine way to protect the paint as much as possible.

Comment

With proper wash/dry technique I think it is very feasible to go a year between polishing with garage parking.

Without, or with harsh climates maybe every 3-6 months.

I personally have managed to stretch 2+ years between polishes on my car, but I now have what would be considered fine swirls.

Realistically though, a light polishing with SwirlX every 3 months or so would be a good routine and remove an incredibly minuscule amount of clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
            That third question is really up to you. Do you feel like tiring yourself out wokring to get that perfect finish? I promise it can be done but it's not easy. I would do a panel per day (swir; removal and wax) for best results.

OR

Find a cleaner/wax that you like. I'm not sure what is available over there but you could go with a cleaner wax topped with a quality wax. The cleaner/wax will remove imbedded dirt, minor hazing and will hide minor swirls. You could do this step with that orbital you bought. This will be much easier ans sill deliver a great shine.
            Is swirl removal a hard and time consuming process? I mean I can easily devote 3-4 hours at a stretch

Mothers Cleaner wax is available but do you think it will serve the purpose i.e. remove the swirls which are quite in number despite the car being only 10 months old?

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Removing the swirls will just be for looks.

Using some sort of polish and wax is what will protect it. As mentioned above, something like Cleaner/Wax or ColorX followed by a wax like Nxt 2.0 would be a fine way to protect the paint as much as possible.
            My car is waxed every 10 days since the last 10 months or so and I have taken every precaution not to subject it to direct sunlight. Issue is that it is a general perception in my country that paint quality on our cars is inferior compared to worldwide models e.g. paint of my 2010 civic would be inferior when compared to 2010 civic in the US or any other country in the world. I don't know how true this is but almost everyone believes it.

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Realistically though, a light polishing with SwirlX every 3 months or so would be a good routine and remove an incredibly minuscule amount of clear.
            This is what I need some reassuring about because I can certainly live with using swirlx every 6 months (as a precaution instead of every 3 months).

Comment

Originally posted by mani1 View Post
              Is swirl removal a hard and time consuming process? I mean I can easily devote 3-4 hours at a stretch

Yes, removing swirls by hand takes a while.

Mothers Cleaner wax is available but do you think it will serve the purpose i.e. remove the swirls which are quite in number despite the car being only 10 months old?

it may be a fine product, esp as we mentioned above using a cleaner/wax for regular maintenance. However I doubt it will do much for the swirls.

My car is waxed every 10 days since the last 10 months or so and I have taken every precaution not to subject it to direct sunlight. Issue is that it is a general perception in my country that paint quality on our cars is inferior compared to worldwide models e.g. paint of my 2010 civic would be inferior when compared to 2010 civic in the US or any other country in the world. I don't know how true this is but almost everyone believes it.

Everyone here believes their factory paint quality is bad also....

If you are waxing your car often, you are also washing it every 10 days? Maybe you can tell us more about how you wash, since there is a chance the washing process could be causing the swirls.

This is what I need some reassuring about because I can certainly live with using swirlx every 6 months (as a precaution instead of every 3 months).

You can certainly use SwirlX every 3-6 months. As mentioned above, if you are fixing swirls often, you may want to look at what is causing the swirls.
              See red.

Comment

See red.
                The car is washed daily as environment is quite dusty here. On my black car, there is a thick layer of dust just 2-3 hours after washing. It is washed with water only and cleaned using microfiber cloth. This wash is def. causing all the swirls but there is nothing I can do about it because if I dont wash the car, it looks very dirty.

Comment

Using a soap will definatley help. Perhaps watching this will help you some:

How to Wash Your Car Show Car Style

Comment

hi there..i hav same prob as well..it's dusty here too..but my paint is hard..i wanna ask something..can D/A piolisher tackle even the hardest of paint using it with M105??thx..

Comment

Pro01: This link will inform you all you need to know about hard paint 1999 Corvette - Remove Swirls and Scratches

Mani1: you're almost better off not washing the car at all than to constantly wash it and in the process, scratch the paint - which is exactly what happens when you drag any solid particulate matter on the soft paint.

If you cannot actually perform a soapy wash, you can at least rinse the vehicle off with low pressure water and then, using a quick detailer to mist on and wipe off after you rinse, you will be able to safely dry the vehicle.

Once the vehicle is dry and clean, *CLAY* it. It will make defect removal much easier by working on the paint, not the dirt on the paint - especially if you're doing it all by hand.

For a by-hand process, try ScratchX or SwirlX. If you have a machine, Try #9 Swirl Remover - it is a light duty abrasive and it may prove successful on your paint.

You really want to avoid removing defects unless absolutely necessary; it's all about making the paint acceptable, and you can probably get away with a 90% defect removal and hide a good majority of the rest with a good pure polish, and then wax.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Guys please check out my paint finish and give recommendations

Below are pics with a layer of dust on them. I used a camera flash as I have no halogen to highlight swirls

This is the pics after washing the panel, applying Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba wax and finishing off with Mothers Reflections Top Coat

What do you guys say?

Comment

Looks like what we would expect from cloths being wiped around on soft paint.

SwirlX might do it, might need Ultimate Compound. Certainly may go faster with UC, looks like a lot of work by hand, But if the paint is that soft, it may correct more easily.

Comment

Looks like what we would expect from cloths being wiped around on soft paint.

SwirlX might do it, might need Ultimate Compound. Certainly may go faster with UC, looks like a lot of work by hand, But if the paint is that soft, it may correct more easily.
                            ok so lets suppose I correct the paint with SwirlX and then seal it with NXT 2.0 coupled with top coat. Would that mean no more swirls for the future (I'll apply NXT 2.0 after each 10 days) with daily washing or not?

Comment

If you wash the same way with just the water, I would expect swirls back right away.

The wax is a sacrificial barrier against nature to protect the paint some, but it is only a few molecules thick. Dragging a dirty cloth over it can act like sandpaper, which will cut right through it.

Do you have access to many products, or high prices when you find them?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');