• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine clean?

Hi guys, just a quick question on engine cleaning. I have a 2.5hp air compressor and with it came a free engine spray gun with a tin to put whatever liquid in it. my engine does not look terrible, in fact, other then some rust marks on the headers and other spots, it does not look too dirty. I have 2 cans of aerosol degreaser and want to clean the engine today. what should I do? buy something to use with the air compressors spray gun? or should I just spray degreasor over the engine then hose off?

Also, I hear many different sides to this, but should I put a plastic bag or something over the battery and distributer cap or not? many people have told me that if u get them wet, your cars done, but other tell me that the water/ degreaser wont affect them?

Thanks alot guys.

Re: engine clean?

I am very careful when it comes to the engine.
    I cover the battery and certain other electric parts with plastic so they wont get wet. Then I take super degreaser and spray the whole engine bay and let it soak for a few minutes. Then I will spray down the engine with a water hose with light pressure and scrub with a brush as necessary. Repeat as needed. After the engine bay is clean, then you could use an air compressor to get any residual water out. I would then take off the plastic that is covering the electric parts and let the engine air dry for a little while. Then you can start the car and let the engine heat up to dry any residual water.

Its always better to take caution. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

I agree with CAShine. My concerns are the altenator and any open air flow outlets. I also use a "light" spray of water, no need to blast it with high pressure. Finally, I blow it dry with the reverse outlet on my vacuum.

Comment

Great, thanks for the reply guys. Before you replied, I went out and started the car (because someone told me to do that) then put degreaser on small parts, then hosed and sprayed off, but your method sound ALOT better :P I might even today sometime go back to the car, cover the battery, alternater and distributer cap, cover the whole bay in degreaser and hose off, then use air compressor sprayer to get rid of excess water. Thanks alot for the help fellas.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');