• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to clean???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean???

hi guyz..wanna ask something..

i've never clean my engine bay before..i hav an audi a6..
    can u give me some tips??

i want to clean it by hosing it but i hesitated bcoz there're so many electrical thingies and wires...can u tell me the correct way to clean the engine without damaging the wire??and also, there's some kind of cloth behind my hood..is it fire blanket??whatever..the thing is,it has accumulated sooo many dust throughout the year..how do i clean it??thx a lottt ..

Re: how to clean???

I use APC on a horse hair brushe. Apply, agitate, rinse/wipe off with a damp rag, apply your favorite dressing. Takes a little more time than the power washer guys, but for some reason i feel more accomplished doing it that way! lol. Turns out great every time.

Thant thing has tons of plastic/rubber......should dress up real nice.

Comment

the 'damp rag' is dampen with water or APC??
      can i just hose down the water??or i have to be more careful on some parts??
      can the electrical thingies be damaged if i do that??thx..

Comment

I usually spray it with a garden pump sprayer after i've sprayed with APC, agitated, and let sit for a minute, then go over it with a clean MF. You dont want the APC drying on the surface.

There are a lot of guys that use pressure washers. I'm not really comfortable with it other than extreme (very dirty) circumstances, so i'd rather not comment on that.

As far as your hood pad. I usually Vacuum it first, blot dirty spots with a 10:1 APC, then carefully vacuum those spots again. Keep in mind on older vehicles they can be quite fragile, so you dont want the vac to rip it off of the hood.

Comment

Check out the articles on engine detailing in this list: Internet Resources. You might also visit an Audi forum and ask about engine detailing, just to make sure there's nothing special about the engine of your particular model of which you need to be aware.

Here is what I do:

(1) I use aluminum foil and plastic baggies to cover up the alternator and any other sensitive electronics. I also cover up the air intake (on my S2K I stick a towel in it).

(2) I gently rinse the engine with my hose.

(3) I spray APC (4:1) on everything. I let it sit for two minutes and then I use my brushes to agitate everything I can reach, often spraying on additional APC where needed. Don't let the APC dry. I then rinse off with the hose.

(4) I then remove aluminum foil, plastic bags, towels, etc.

(5) I turn on the engine and let it run for a couple of minutes, with the hood down. This helps to start the drying process. I turn the engine off and use my leaf blower on the engine bay. Finally, I towel off the remaining water.

(6) I then apply my chosen engine dressing. I am presently using CD-2. If you use CD-2, be sure to follow the directions. Other dressings you might use: Megs' Hyper Dressing, Stoner's All Shine, Pig Spit, 303 Protectant.

I'm sure my process can be improved and welcome suggestions and criticisms from the brethren, but this is generally what I do.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

will do!!

thx @alkimel & @sspudnick..

Comment

No problem buddy, good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

You have a VERY easy engine to clean... Its dressed in plastic like the VW's so a dose of APC and light water is fine. Just dont go full blast with the water. Get a electric blower to dry the engine and then hit it with a MF towel and dress it. Looks really nice when done..

Comment

i want to, but i'm afraid i might damage it..coz i don't really know which part to cover..hahaha..

btw,can i use meg's trim detailer on it??

Comment

Originally posted by ProAutoImage View Post
                    You have a VERY easy engine to clean... Its dressed in plastic like the VW's so a dose of APC and light water is fine. Just dont go full blast with the water. Get a electric blower to dry the engine and then hit it with a MF towel and dress it. Looks really nice when done..
                    Perfect Answer

Comment

I use a vapor steamer, works everytime, you can buy one for under 100 bucks.
                      80% vapor, 20% water, mine get's to 186 degrees.
                      Spray it with APC first, it helps to break up the oils.
                      Chief Engineer.
                      My part time job is to maintain my black Toyota!

Comment

In this I would get a rag and use Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant. There are many ways to get your engine looking good.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');