• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquid or Paste wax, which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid or Paste wax, which one is better?

Has it been proven that paste or liquid wax, is better than the other, what is Meguiar's opinion on the two, do you give up speed and easiness, are you getting the exact ingredients (minus the water) by using one or the other, have there been a side by side comparison, is there more pop,slickness,etc,i wonder when i see both products on the shelf and would like to know,without buying both waxes, I'm talking about the gold class waxes and the NXT waxes and comparing liquid or paste form.

I have always been a big fan of paste waxes. I like the ease of application and ability to setup a real even coat over the entire vehicle. However, I also like liquid waxes because of how fast they can be applied and removed. When it comes to look and durability, I find it to be roughly the same. If there is a difference, I have never noticed it. I think it just comes down to which way you like to apply it. I like hand waxing, so paste is a better setup for me.

Comment

It all depends from the manufacturer. From what I know, Megs liquid waxes were no different from their paste counterparts. The only reason I guess for the liquid and paste is the fact that some detailers prefer one over the other because of usage. Liquid is good if you use the polisher to do your LSP. Paste if you apply LSP by hand.

On the other hand, some detailers believe they get more durability from the paste than the liquid. I still say this depends on the manufacturer. Let's say the 3M Show Car Liquid Wax and 3M Show Car Paste Wax. In my own experience the paste is more durable than the liquid. The reason I guess is that "acrylic silicone flouropolymer" (A.S.F.) is present in the paste version but not in the liquid version. You will also notice the price difference of the two.

But to my knowledge, there's nothing like this difference in the chemical composition of megs waxes in the paste and liquid version. They're the same.

Mike or Tim would still have to confirm this...
      I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

For all practical purposs they are equal, but you get a whole lot more product with a paste. So you get ease of use with a liquid, but you pay for it.

Liquids are paste waxes with more solvents in them. Solvents=inert product, therefore less bang per buck.

One important advantage of liquid waxes, though, is that you are never putting a dirty pad back into the product. So with a liquid, if you do get a little speck or two of dirt on the pad, it doesn't get introduced into the can.

Tom
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Hey,

The only real difference between the liquid and paste versions, besides the obvious , is the manner in which they can be applied. But otherwise, their durability should be the same.

Now with that said, sometimes, it is just nice to apply a paste wax by hand! It gives an "old school" feel!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hey all thanks for the replys,i guess i wil stay with liquid form,for ease,etc,still wonder what Meguiars official reply might be...

Comment

Originally posted by ourbail
              Hey all thanks for the replys,i guess i wil stay with liquid form,for ease,etc,still wonder what Meguiars official reply might be...
              Well then....

"While I've used the new NXT Tech Wax in the paste version, I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons. That said, historically there is no difference between the liquid and paste versions of Meguiar's waxes and I suspect this will be true of this new paste wax. Liquids tend to be easier to apply by machine.

The difference is primarily to cater to the preference of the user.

Mike"

Plus here...

How's that?

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
                Liquids are paste waxes with more solvents in them. Solvents=inert product, therefore less bang per buck.
                This is the common perception on the differences between a paste and a liquid wax. While this may be true for other brands, it's not the case for Meguiar's waxes.

One important advantage of liquid waxes, though, is that you are never putting a dirty pad back into the product. So with a liquid, if you do get a little speck or two of dirt on the pad, it doesn't get introduced into the can.

Tom
                That's a good point, there have been times when I have looked into my can of #16 and seen specks of dirt, which I then pick out with my fingernail. The idea is to make sure your surface is clean before applying your wax so this doesn't happen, but even if you do everything you can to work on a clean car in a clean environment, it is possible to pick up a contaminant with your wax pad and introduce it to your wax can.

Just yesterday, at the CorvetteForum class, the question came up about when you should switch to a new, clean applicator pad. The answer it to turn your wax pad over occasionally and inspect it for contaminants such as a dirt particle, if you see any remove them or switch to a new, clean wax pad.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

all right ,i learn somthing every time i log on,guess i will stick with the liquids,thanks for the responses,i consider this thread closed...

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');