• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Trailer Aluminum Prefinished Panel Cleaning/Waxing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Trailer Aluminum Prefinished Panel Cleaning/Waxing??

Does anyone know what can be used to remove the black streaks and dingyness from the side of my Car Hauler Trailer. The trailer has the white aluminum (not sure it is paint) panels that regularly start to streak (like an RV) with black. I have tried everything that I can think of, none working all that great. Any suggestions will be tried.
    Mark
    1969 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ
    1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv
    2002 F150 Harley Davidson
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 4.6 DOHC

Re: Car Trailer Aluminum Prefinished Panel Cleaning/Waxing??

Originally posted by msmarcus
    Does anyone know what can be used to remove the black streaks and dingyness from the side of my Car Hauler Trailer. The trailer has the white aluminum (not sure it is paint) panels that regularly start to streak (like an RV) with black. I have tried everything that I can think of, none working all that great. Any suggestions will be tried.
    Hi msmarcus,

Those streaks are likely caused by either oxidizing aluminum or some type of black gasket or roofing material deteriorating and then running down your panel walls and staining the paint.

Because you state that you have already tried everything you can think of, (I'll step out on a limb and assume this to mean spray on cleaners or car wash soaps), chances are very good that the streaks you are seeing are below the surface. That is black particles are embedded in the paint, not sitting on top of the paint.

To fix this, try a test spot using either a paint cleaner like ScratchX or a cleaner/wax like ColorX or Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, or ##66 Quick Detailer.

Apply over the streaks and then work the product in well. Wipe off the excess and inspect to see if the streaks are gone. If they are, then you need to go over the entire trailer. If they are not, then this is going to require more investigation into how to remove them.

Do you currently wax or maintain the paint on the trailer?

It's pretty common for people with trailers or anything with large panels like motorhomes and trailers to use a one-step cleaner/wax to clean, polish and protect in one step. It would take a long time and a lot of work to do a multi-step process to large objects like these. A great combination is the G100 with a W-8006 foam polishing pad and a quality cleaner/wax. Go around the object once to apply, (clean, polish and protect), then go around a second time to remove the wax after it has dried and your done.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Could the galvanized roof panels be causing this? If so, I had planned to seal it with Kool Seal anyway. That may help it from getting so dirty so soon.

I have cleaned it and waxed with gold class, however, since the trailer is 24' long and 8' tall, it is such a pain to have to do this as often as it seems to need it. I guess I am looking for a product that will last for about 2-3 months.

You are right, cleaning with spray washer & car wash detergent as well as wash mitt, does no good. The only thing that seemed to work was a cleaning product called "Mean Green". Very alkaline and removed alot of chalky white color along with the black streaks. I don't want to use this as I am concerned with what it might do with the finish. Thanks for your help.
      Mark
      1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv

Comment

You know I was in walmart last night and I stumbled into the RV products isle and it seems to me that there was a product in that isle that removed black streaks. Unsure what it was or who makes it. If you haven't already check there.

might have been something like this:
        Last edited by gb387; Feb 5, 2005, 08:05 PM.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have two box trailers with the same problem. One is white and the other is light gray. I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax with an old 8" orbital waxer. This was before I got really interested in detailing and got my Porter Cable DA and my Makita Rotary. The cleaner wax not only removed all the streaks but all the oxidation. But BE CAREFULL! I actually went through the
          paint or powder coat in one spot where I was trying to get off a bird bomb. The Cleaner Wax lasted until the next time it rained then the black streaks came back. I think that it must be coming off the rubber sealant that the factory used to seal the galvanized top. I think that I will try #83 to clean a spot next time then hit it with two coats of NXT.

Comment

My trailer is white and has not had the center section of the roof coated with the rubberized coating. If your's still does it, that rules out the galvazined panels being coated to stop it. I am gonna try the black streak sprays, but that will probably remove all wax protection also. Thanks for the boards help on this.
            Mark
            1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv

Comment

Hey,

Since I have a RV and have to deal with the black streaks, I usually use Meguiar's #66 Quick Detailer with the G-100 and a polishing pad.

Though my travel trailer has the rubber roof, I did have a travel trailer a few years ago with a metal roof. It too left black streaks down the sides. I believe the Lap Sealant or the Butyl sealant that is used may be the cause.

Either way, if you keep the trailer waxed, the streaks usually come off with just carwash soap and water.

I hope this helps!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');