• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring BMW headlights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring BMW headlights...

I have restored many headlights, however it seems I always have an issue with BMW headlights. My restore process always including wetsanding usually with 1000, 2000 grit and then polishing. Sometimes I will go as low as 400 grit if needed. No matter what I do, with the BMW headlights there is some yellow staining I can't remove. The surface is very smooth, so this is what I don't understand.

Is it possible that the plastic is stained or discolored from the inside?

I am wondering if the HID or Xenon lights in these cars generate a lot of heat and can possibly cause this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Re: Restoring BMW headlights...

my golden rule when i do headlights is: the car get`s wetsand until the water get`s from yellow to milky - white , is the time when all the damage got removed.
    after that polish steps.
    Cosmin
    proreflection
    *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

I remember the water not being yellow anymore, it had turned white. Is it possible the damage was from the inside?
      '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 96Lude View Post
        I remember the water not being yellow anymore, it had turned white. Is it possible the damage was from the inside?
        is possible , i found a lot of lenses that has little cracks in the plastic and only from a close look are visible.
        is possible to be "stain" on inside of plastic too.
        some headlights get`s moisture on inside and that may help the damage process.
        proreflection
        *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

I have run into the same problem on a couple of different brands. I believe the staining is on the problem is staining on the inside from moisture and such on the inside of the lens. I have also run into the spider web cracks and some fogginess. I just let the customer know that there isn't anything I can do for problems on the inside of the lens and they understand.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');