• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring an 18 year old oxidized paint job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring an 18 year old oxidized paint job.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

Test spot I did a while back on the hood.

Finally did the entire hood last night.

Before (when I first bought the truck in March of this year)

After

Overall

I used Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.

It took a good 6 hours to clay, use UC, and wax the entire passenger's side and roof. (I did it entirely by hand) I am just getting started on the other side now.

I'm 16 and this is my first car, well, truck. I've never waxed a car before and I think my trucked turned out great. I think I should have used a polish after the UC instead of going straight to wax but I plan on doing the rest of the truck then finishing up with NXT Tech Wax 2.0 so maybe I will go over the passenger side again with a polish then wax the entire truck with 2.0

Please feel free to comment!

Thanks

Thanks!

Re: Restoring an 18 year old oxidized paint job.

That is a great job. Truck looks much better after a treatment of UC. The reflections are very nice. Good job.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Truck looks fantastic! Congrats on your first truck as well! You are a brave man to attack all that by hand... Keep up the good work!
      - Markito -

Comment

What a tremendous improvement. Congratulations. The truck looks great.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody. I bought the truck for only $600! I just need to do the tailgate and the drivers side of the truck then it is complete. I'll be sure to post the results as well.

Comment

Congrats on the tuck man! You sure made it look great. You could go ahead and use a polish after ultimate compound if you prefer to. Do a test spot, see if it looks any better and if it does, then go ahead and use it.

Way to take pride in your truck and make it look great!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Thanks Andrew! I think I'll get the Deep Crystal Polish and follow that up with NXT Tech Wax 2.0

Comment

Wow. You did that all by hand? That's very impressive. I wouldn't have guessed that finish could even be restored, but you did a great job in bringing it back to life!

May I suggest some M07, show car glaze. If that is single stage paint (looks like it) that would really help rejuvenate it. Not that you didn't do a heck of a job doing that already. . .

Comment

Originally posted by aerogt01 View Post
                  Wow. You did that all by hand? That's very impressive. I wouldn't have guessed that finish could even be restored, but you did a great job in bringing it back to life!

May I suggest some M07, show car glaze. If that is single stage paint (looks like it) that would really help rejuvenate it. Not that you didn't do a heck of a job doing that already. . .
                  Yes sir, I sure did. I clean tables on a regular basis at my job so it didn't seem too difficult, although it did require several applications.

Until I heard about Meguiar's, I too didn't think it was possible to restore the paint.. ESPECIALLY the roof.

It is single stage paint, yes. Thanks for suggestion, I'll look into the M07. Does it need to be waxed over?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes. Once this coat of wax wears out I would give it an application of M07, or after you use a polish by hand (swirlX, perhaps). Then follow with at coat of NXT 2.0. I would top the cleaner wax with NXT 2.0 anyway. If you use good wash methods you shouldn't need to polish/compound it again for a while.

Comment

Alright, sounds good. I'll buy some NXT 2.0 tomorrow and just put that over the cleaner wax for now. I appreciate the help.

Comment

wow thats an amazing, amazing result. Get that side fixed up eventually and it will look better than it did in the show room! Good Job!

Comment

Originally posted by jakers11 View Post
                          wow thats an amazing, amazing result. Get that side fixed up eventually and it will look better than it did in the show room! Good Job!
                          Thank you, and do you mean the big dent(s) in the side? You can thank the previous owner for that.. he used it as a work truck.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotafisherman View Post
                            Thank you, and do you mean the big dent(s) in the side? You can thank the previous owner for that.. he used it as a work truck.
                            yeah the dents, other than that it looks great.

Comment

Not only did you do a great job at making your truck look great, I have to assume you've also increased it's value (not that you are going to sell it, but it is a nice benefit). It's particularly impressive that you did this all by hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');