• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consumer products VS Professional line products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer products VS Professional line products

Good Morning Guys.... If all the variables are identical in technique, pads, and the enthusiasm in which the products are applied, do you think that I can achieve the same level of success with the consumer line as the Pro line ?As all you probably know its easier for me to locate the consumer line than the pro line, and why would I want to use the pro line anyway ......I'm not one of the elite ........but I'm working in that direction .

Re: Consumer products VS Professional line products

In theory, yes. However, the pro line, or Mirror Glaze and Detailer line, is going to offer much more 'fine tuning' if you will. There is a much larger selection of products to allow you to 'fine tune' the compound or polish to the finish you are working on. The consumer line doesn't offer as aggressive products as the pro line does. Also, much of the pro line is approved for rotary use. Depending on the finish you're working on, this could mean the difference between perfection and a "well, at least it looks a little better than before" finish.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

My $0.02

In a word, Yes, mostly. LOL

Pro products are designed for the more serious and experienced user while the consumer line is more for the casual or weekend car guy. That said there is many, many consumer products that rival the performance of the Pro products. For example;
      NXT 2.0 is similar to M21 2.0.
      Ultimate Compound is reasonably similar to M105.
      ScratchX is closely similar to #205.
      UQD is very similar to M135.
      UWQ is similar to the soon to be available Express Wax Spray

Also, Pro products are usually available in larger, more economical, sizes. Pro products are often designed to be able to be applied with the DA or rotary buffer.

Given that there are three distinct product lines, Consumer, Pro and Detailer, I find I use products from each line.

But back to your question, I do believe you can achieve results with the consumer line that rival that of the Pro line. It may take a little longer but I believe you most likely can get the same results.

The reason for using the Pro (or Detailer) line are better performance, a broader range of products for differing needs, economies of larger volumes of product, and there are just some products that don't have a matching or similar consumer component.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Hey Again Guys , Thanks so much for your insight . Is there anyway you experienced detailers could go to the trouble and tell me when to use the pro line instead of the consumer. Give me some examples of when one may work better than the other.What I'm asking for are exacts. I'm really trying to get a real understanding of what product to use and why. thanks so much

Comment

Rotary use is really the only time you 'need' the Pro Lines. Or for the price.

Other than that, it is just what a matter of using what works. Most of us will have a mix laying around. Every product is quality.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Use M105 when Ultimate Compound doesn't provide enough cut. That's about it. No need to complicate things. Unless you are working in a body shop environment where silicon in products is an issue or you will be using a rotary, you should be just fine with the consumer line of products.

At this point you are better off using the consumer products alone and refining your technique. After getting to know a couple of products very well, you may what to consider some of the pro line products.

Many professional detailers prefer some of the consumer products over the pro line products. Ultimate Compound is often used instead of M105 because it doesn't dust up as much and it's easy to get a hold of.

Comment

i would stick with the consumer line until you NEED a professional grade product or until you've MASTERED the use of the consumer line. whichever comes first
              2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 SR5 - Black Sand Pearl

Comment

Many Pro/Detailer products are just as straight forward as Consumer products.

Obviously rotary products would be something to learn about first, and Wheel Brightener should be learned about before using. But there are lots of waxes, cleaners, dressings, APC's, QD's, soaps, etc that are used like anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  Many Pro/Detailer products are just as straight forward as Consumer products.
                  Agreed, but there is no need to learn every product within Meguiar's 300+ products when you are just getting started. Your time will likely be better spent mastering a few. Once you get good with a few products and truly understand their strengths and limitations, then when you take on new products you can honestly understand how they compare to what you already know. If you don't have a baseline, then you're all over the map. The theory is still good to know, but there needs to be a balance.

Comment

Yes, being confused, or just using them are different.

Comment

Besides the differences stated so far. I like the pro-line because of being able to buy in bulk. You get more bang for your buck. Also since most of the pro-line is also good for rotary use. That occasional vehicle that needs it you are ready. You do not have to go and get another product and hope for the best. The capability is there already.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');