• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can either spend $2000 on a new paintjob or I can...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can either spend $2000 on a new paintjob or I can...?

Hey guys,
    Please check out the pictures I posted in this old thread:

The black paint is severely oxidized/beginning of clear coat failure on a 5yr old car! Until I find the money to get it repainted, I would like to do something in the meantime. Would the Ultimate Compound do the trick or is that too harsh?

Thanks

Re: I can either spend $2000 on a new paintjob or I can...?

Well if you were quoted $2000 to repaint the whole car I would probably run the other way very fast!

You could have the shop strip and repaint the roof/trunk for less than $2k, but repainting the whole car should be around $5-6k for it to be done correctly.

EDIT: Looking at those pics closer you will have to paint the quarter panels too as the CC failure is on both the roof and piece just above the side windows.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I would like to do something in the meantime. Would the Ultimate Compound do the trick or is that too harsh? I am looking for a cosmetic fix in the meantime seeing as how nothing can really reverse the damage already done.

Comment

Originally posted by rosario02 View Post
        I would like to do something in the meantime. Would the Ultimate Compound do the trick or is that too harsh? I am looking for a cosmetic fix in the meantime seeing as how nothing can really reverse the damage already done.
        Can't hurt to try. I'd probably try a few different polishes to see what gives the best result. What do you have on hand now? Do you own a DA or rotary?
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Give it a try. Recently used it on somee CC failure on my bros Lexus and it really blended it in well. Just the tops of the rearview mirrors and bumpers.
          Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

I have a cheap orbital buffer from discount auto parts that I use.

Rasky- thats actually not a bad idea if I just have the roof, trunk and top panels re-painted. I would need them to use Nissan factory paint in order to match. How much a job like this cost?

Also, a friend told me that I wouldn't need to have the paint stripped if the car is getting re-painted black. Opinions?

Comment

You will never fix the cc failure without a repaint. However knowing that. I can not see were it would hurt anything to try out different things to remove the swirls, refine your technique, etc. It is not like your going to ruin the paint.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by rosario02 View Post
                I have a cheap orbital buffer from discount auto parts that I use.

Rasky- thats actually not a bad idea if I just have the roof, trunk and top panels re-painted. I would need them to use Nissan factory paint in order to match. How much a job like this cost?

Also, a friend told me that I wouldn't need to have the paint stripped if the car is getting re-painted black. Opinions?

You'll definitely have to strip the panels down to the factory primer/sealer and it has nothing to do with the color of your car.

To paint the roof, quarter panels, and deck lid your probably looking at around $1200-1500. Body shops can get their paint from a number of paint manufactures which will all be able to mix up the color to match your car.

Cheers,
                Rasky
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');