• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

well, one guy's trip to nowhere is another guy's trip to somewhere, which is what this was for me.

Meanwhile, Michael, I do appreciate you taking my question seriously because I meant it seriously. I really don't think I'd like fake patina any more than I like the inyerface shine, but at least the shine is real (well, at least as real as it get coming from a original-color respray). I guess in the end what I was hoping to find was a way to let it go, so to speak, let the car get kinda dirty kinda messy without doiing damange to the finish.

Ah, well, that's okay. It's a pretty car and my girlfriend loves it. things could be worse!

thanks again.

Comment

Well, I've been watching this thread for a few days. I've been contemplating a response for the OP's question, almost hating to post it because of making the members here cringe.
      When I was a kid, I helped out my uncle in a body shop. After the repair work was done, we would give the entire car a quickie buff job so that the repaired areas didn't stand out from the rest of the car. This was back in the 60's, when paint would oxidize, deteriorate and fade after only a few years. We would scrub the unrepaired portion of the car with Bon-Ami cleanser as a paint cleaner. The procedure was to first wet down a panel, sprinkle on some Bon-Ami and scrub it around with a soft rag or clean sponge. It would leave a smooth, matte finish that was easily brought to a shine with a mild compound. If you're truly looking to dull down a shiny finish without sanding scratches, it might be worth a test spot.

Bill

Comment

You could always have accents put on it. Either decals or airbrushed. It wont make your car more dull but if you were to accent with the right color, it may give the illusion that it is.
        ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
        www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
        (352) 897-0050

Comment

Bon-Ami? Great idea. I might try a test spot.

Chris: Do you have any examples?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by floyd View Post
            Guys: First off, I am totally serious. Look, the car is a blazing blue (think fire-engine red, only blue) and I'm not a blazing anything type of guy. I bought it for its mechanical and structural perfection (no rust on a mid-70s Porsche!!!), hoping the color would grow on me. It hasn't.

Most people reading my original post seemed to gloss over (ha ha!) words I used like "temporary" and "reversible." I don't want to repaint the thing. I don't want to destroy it or hurt it in the least. I just want to tone it down. At the same time, I want to take care of it to the best of my ability. It is a beautiful car. It's worth a lot of money. It's just too flashy. Can't anyone understand this?

Come on, someone, come to my defense! Or at least offer me some doable deflashifying options!

Thanks.
            Have a company vinyl wrap the car in a matte finish
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

When you ask a question like this on a detailing forum, you are asking people that like shinny cars , and want there cars to stand out. What kind of answer did you think you would get.

Comment

If our goal is to have a shiny car, wouldn't it be helpful to know and discuss how to cause just the opposite in an effort to prevent it from happening?

Maintaining a vehicle isn't just about doing the right things, it's equally important not to do harmful things.

I think this is a great thread.

Comment

Thanks, Bill, you read my motivation and concerns exactly right. Onward!

Comment

I actually think the wet sanding idea would work best. That way you can just have it polished back out when the time comes.

Final sanding was with 4000 grit...

Instead of this....

You can have this.

Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I hear you. It's hard to fabricate patina. It has to happen. You needed to buy this car before it was painted. Best look for another car.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');