• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

One way that I know dulls cars down is to wetstand the paint and not buff out the sanding marks, haha.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      Surely he can't be serious?
      Don't call him Shirley.

Comment

Guys: First off, I am totally serious. Look, the car is a blazing blue (think fire-engine red, only blue) and I'm not a blazing anything type of guy. I bought it for its mechanical and structural perfection (no rust on a mid-70s Porsche!!!), hoping the color would grow on me. It hasn't.

Most people reading my original post seemed to gloss over (ha ha!) words I used like "temporary" and "reversible." I don't want to repaint the thing. I don't want to destroy it or hurt it in the least. I just want to tone it down. At the same time, I want to take care of it to the best of my ability. It is a beautiful car. It's worth a lot of money. It's just too flashy. Can't anyone understand this?

Come on, someone, come to my defense! Or at least offer me some doable deflashifying options!

Thanks.

Comment

And believe me this picture doesn't do justice to how shiny the car is in person.

Comment

Originally posted by floyd View Post

Come on, someone, come to my defense! Or at least offer me some doable deflashifying options!

Thanks.
            1 Gallon acetone
            1 Quart bleach
            8 Ounces 102 octane leaded racing gasoline
            1 Army surplus chemical suit with mask
            1 Pair chemical resistant gloves
            1 32 ounce Meguiar's Detailer plastic bottle with chemical resistant spray head

Don chemical suit, mask and gloves.

Mix the ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket that you won't use again.

Fill 32 ounce spray bottle and attach spray head.

If car is parked inside, move outside and at least 10 feet from any flamable surface.

Spray mixture evenly on all the car's surfaces.

Reapply once a day for seven days.

Post pictures here.

Comment

Sounds like it's more you don't like the actual colour, and want it a different shade of blue (when you compare to fire engine red, makes me think it isn't the actual gloss or shine that's the issue, but the shade). Now if it is a shade thing you are trying to change, that is like saying "I have a white car but I want it silver, can I make it silver without repainting?". You could always wrap the car in Vinyl, much cheaper than a repaint.

Maybe a picture would help us realize how horribly great this car looks.

Comment

I've attempted to post a picture, and am including another one here, but i guess you have to wait for moderator approval before they show up. Hope it's not long. And maybe you're right about the shade thing. But ... I really do like the blue, just not how blaring it seems to me...

Comment

How about one of those film type car wraps? I've seen people make their cars flat black. Maybe you could get a semi-clear wrap installed?

Glenn
                  Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

i guess the mod is taking his time approving my pix but hopefully when and if they do appear people will have some other ideas. or maybe you'll think i really am off my beam.... come on, mod, approve em!

Comment

Well, yes you may be crazy, but I think that is a separate forum.

Unfortunately, anything you do to care for the paint and keep it healthy will tend to make it shiny. Thats part of why you cant really care for those new flat paints.

Nxt Tech wax tends to be more glossy, perhaps something like Gold Class would give a bit more richness.

I guess:
                      1. Wash
                      2. Clay
                      3. Clean - SwirlX, #80, etc
                      4. Polish - #7
                      5. Wax - Gold Class, 2 thin coats

Will be as rich as you can get it.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

why would you have the car repsrayed 5 years ago if you wanted a rustic look? shoulda gotten it painted in flat black or spray canned it :S

Comment

I think a vinyl car wrap may do what you want. You can even get those "invisible bra's", they are pretty clear, so it may not reduce the shine to much, but it may cut it some.

Comment

Vinyl wrap.

Edit: Just saw I'm late to the party. Someone already suggested it.
                            More Holograms than the USS Enterprise

Comment

Floyd - in all seriousness, I don't think there are simple, easily reversible ways to get the patina you're looking for.

The paint on your 911 is formulated to achieve a certain gloss/shine so chances are anything you do to "oxidize" or age or patina the finish will be damaging the paint.

A couple of forum members have suggested chemical processes of aging the paint - I'm assuming those processes are removing "oils" from the paint or altering the surface chemistry of the paint to give it the oxidized look. DISCLAIMER - who knows what these chemical processes will do to your paint long term.

You could mechanically scuff your paint with a fine scotchbrite pad -you're inducing fine scratches into the paint. DISCLAIMER - inducing scratches into paint is definitely something this forum avoids.

Other forum members have suggested vinyl wraps - I've seen some neat Flat Black and Flat White vinyl wraps but they may look to "perfect" for what you're trying to achieve. Also don't know if vinyl wraps come in different colors - I think colors / graphics are typically printed onto the vinyl.

All the Clear bras vinyl materials I've seen are designed to resist dulling so this may not be the way to go.

There are specialty paints designed for the Rat Rod market in flat/semi-gloss blacks & "primer" red colors. I don't know if these paints are available in other colors and you're essentially re-painting your car.

Semi-gloss clear coats - I know they exist but I don't have any experience with them.

Here's a wild idea - Base Color coat paint from a Two-stage paint system. Most of the color coat paints I've seen are low gloss and typically applied very thin (color coat might be easily "removed" at a later time).

BTW - nice looking 911!
                              Last edited by bmrfan; Sep 27, 2010, 11:51 AM. Reason: Added info on wraps
                              Andy W.
                              Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                              Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

That 911 looks beautiful! I don't know why you'd want to dull it down or do anything to alter the paint.

It's your car though and comes down to personal preference I suppose...
                                Originally posted by Blueline
                                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');