• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

I have a mid-70s Porsche with a pretty great 5-yr old respray. In fact, too great. It's royal blue and incredibly shiny and while I like the color I don't like how in your face it is. I typically like cars with tons of patina, totally oxidized, some flaking, like that; only, I've ended up with this car and, well, what can I do to make it more suitable for me and yet be *totally* reversible in case I change my mind?

Can you dull up a car w/ some dullard's polish? Any way to just tone it way the heck down? So maybe I can't get flaking. But can't I get some temporary oxidizing of some kind.

I know this runs contrary to what most people want. But it is what I want. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Re: Want wwway less shine, wwway more patina!

Originally posted by floyd View Post

I typically like cars with tons of patina, totally oxidized...

x2

Comment

I know. I hear you -- well, see you. But I'm serious. Isnt there some kind of Add a Matte Finish -type product available?

Comment

I've never heard of anything of the sort. If your vehicle was a raw metal like copper. The process would be simple there are plenty of products that accelerate patina.

I don't know. Wash it repeatedly with Dawn. Let it bake in the sun.

Comment

What the heck.
          Last edited by Markus Kleis; Sep 26, 2010, 09:38 PM. Reason: Family friendly language

Comment

okay, maybe i was a little over dramatic. let me tone is down. what i want is a nice unwashed look -- dull paint -- but my paint still needs the protection of a good waxing. that's what i'm after. and no i won't use Dawn and I won't let it sit out in the sun. thanks!

Comment

Have you tried Zaino? I think few application of Zaino will take off that shine.

Hope this helps,

- Vikas

Comment

okay, maybe i was a little over dramatic. let me tone is down. what i want is a nice unwashed look -- dull paint -- but my paint still needs the protection of a good waxing. that's what i'm after. and no i won't use Dawn and I won't let it sit out in the sun. thanks!
                repaint is matte... or wetsand it so it is dull.. then wax with the least glossy wax you can find.. if you want the oxidized look and flake.. why would you like protection?

Comment

Wet sand with 3000 grit and have satin paint! lmao.
                  Alan T.

Comment

I've never seen a car I thought was "too shiny". I try constantly to make my cars as shiny as possible. If the Porsche is too shiny for your tastes, just send it over and it can park in my garage.

Comment

This is way confusing. Just don't take care of it.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

That took large ... to ask that question on a Meguiars forum!!!!

You wouldn't happen to be looking for an ugly wife too? I know somebody.
                        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I have a mid-70s Porsche with a pretty great 5-yr old respray. In fact, too great. It's royal blue and incredibly shiny and while I like the color I don't like how in your face it is. I typically like cars with tons of patina, totally oxidized, some flaking, like that; only, I've ended up with this car and, well, what can I do to make it more suitable for me
                          Have you tried Turtle Wax or Mothers?
                          More Holograms than the USS Enterprise

Comment

You guys are buying this, too?

Comment

Wow, after after being part of this forum for 5 years, I must say that this is the weirdest question I've seen anyone ever ask here!

Surely he can't be serious?
                              Originally posted by Blueline
                              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');