• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguairs G220 (220v) - Changing the Carbon Brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguairs G220 (220v) - Changing the Carbon Brushes

Seems that a few of the EU and Asian members were looking for carbon brushes and also a "how to" in changing them. So I got some free time today and decided to help out the members here.

Been looking around for alternatives for the carbon brush and managed to source them locally. Equivalent to the original ones (dimension wise) but not 100% sure on the composition of the carbon though. -

Caveat: I am not a trained electrician so use this as a reference only. I am not going to be responsible for any damaged caused at your side.

Wished we had a Meguiar's service center here in Malaysia.

Difficulty Level: Basic electrical knowledge

Time Required: 15 Minutes or so.

Things you need.

1. Phillips screwdriver
    2. Some sandpaper (1000grit)
    3. Carbon Brush - BOSCH Part No: 1.607.014.145 (order no: 1.607.031.204)
    (there are other makers of brushes out there [dewalt,hitachi,makita] but I only managed to source them from Bosch Repair Centre - nearest to me)

Unplug the cord from the power outlet.

Step 1: Remove the screw near the speed control knob. ( I used an impact driver (Bosch) to remove - easier and faster)

Slowly pull out the cover.

Reveals this.

Step 2: Locate the holder for the carbon brushes. Its secured with two Phillip screws.

Unscrew them one side at a time. (take pictures if you are unsure of the location/placement of wires)

This is the holder under the speed control - remember the placement of the wires for the speed controller- especially the red and a black wire-going to the carbon brush holder; (both run under the speed controller).

Don't want to squish them when putting back the cover.

- After taking out the two screws holding it down, remove the clip holding the wire for the carbon and slide the carbon down. Be careful on not to damage the spring.

Worn out carbon brush.

Optional Step: Since the commutator is exposed - I decided to clean them.

Take the sandpaper and wrap it at the end of a pencil (eraser part). This makes it easier to reach the commutator.

Gently press the sandpaper to the comm and oscillate the backing plate to turn the commutator.

After a few turns, the commutator is at a better level.

Step 4: Re install the new carbon brush into the holder. Screw in the two screws.

Step 5: Repeat the process to replace the other carbon.

Optional Step: Clean the dust/dirt/polish residue off. Q tips+water (or your choice of cleaners) works marvelously. Apply the cleaners on the Q tips not directly on the internal parts.

Step 6: Reinstall the cover. Hold the cord coming out of the machine and pull the cover towards the main body. Secure the cover by screwing in the screw. Run the machine at low speeds just to seat the brushes in properly. After which test the machine (speed 3-5) to check for any problems.

Voila - New brushes and cleaned commutator -Your machine should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

If you have any comments/suggestions/questions do please reply on this thread.

Timothy G.

Learning new things everyday

Re: Meguairs G220 (220v) - Changing the Carbon Brushes

Thanks for the write up! I can't wait til I burn through my own brushes! In R/C racing, we used to change brushes frequently and special things for motor break-in.
    I used to use a Team Trinity Comm Cleaning Pen.
    With a large comm like the one in the G110, your sandpaper idea sounds like the hot ticket.
    In R/Cs, we used Comm Drops. They helped break down the face of the brushes faster to mate to the commutator.
    Did you use any brush oil/liquid?
    More Holograms than the USS Enterprise

Comment

Excellent write up Tim. I'm sure most us will need to reference this post at some point. =)

Comment

did u manage to test if further? making sure its working right, im going out hunting today for some bosch carbon

Comment

Only thing I noticed is the rate of them wearing off. From 2010 to 2012 today, changed about 3-5 sets of carbon due to heavy use. Till today the polisher still function well. I resort to Bosch's carbon due to the fact that we dont have support for oem brushes for the G220 at my location.
          Learning new things everyday

Comment

finally...new brushes and bearings, almost like new

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');