• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Paint Detail on New G8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Paint Detail on New G8

Hello all. New to site!

I purchased a 2009 G8 GT about 2 months ago. Its black with about 17k on it. the guy I bought it form was an older gentleman and this was a pleasure car. He always washed by hand and kept a good coat of Dupont wax on it. The paint looks great right now, but I know it can become better. This car to me is just a toy as well. I never drive it in the rain. Its parked in a garage with a cover over it.

Now, I was washing it last nite and did feel some contamination in the paint, probably there since new. I dont think it was ever clayed. So I plan on doing this next week. But after i strip teh current wax I want to go full blown on this. Again, this car's paint looks great now with no swirl marks, so I shouldn't have too bad of a job, and plan on doing everything by had.

My Steps I'm thinking:

Wash with Dawn Dishsoap.
    Claybar
    Show Glaze 7
    NXT or GC (Please help me pick!!) 2 coats
    Hi-tech yellow - 1 coat.

I will use a dteail spray between coats. Foam pad for application, microfiber for removal.

As noted, not sure with Wax to use. I would like to go with a sealant, then a wax. Is the NXT more like a sealant? What about the GC?

Thanks in advance

“I Just Wanna Go FAST" --Ricky Bobby

2009 G8 GT
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    2003 2500HD Duramax 4x4

Re: Full Paint Detail on New G8

Another question. Should I do 1 or 2 coats of #7?

After that should I just do:
    1 coat NX or GC+, then a coat of 26
    Just 2 coats of 26
    Or any other combination? Like I siad, this car is a garage queen. It doesnt get driven in rain, so I'm looking to get the best shine.

2009 G8 GT
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    2003 2500HD Duramax 4x4

Comment

If you can feel dirt on the paint, I would certainly consider using at least a mild paint cleaner after claying.

1. Wash - Good quality soap like Gold Class, etc.. no need for Dawn.
      2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit
      3. Clean - SwirlX is milder than it sounds, esp with a smooth foam applicator and worked in gently. #9 would be milder if you wanted.
      4. Polish - #7, 1 coat is fine.
      5. Wax - Yeah, the wax combinations are kind of up to you. GC+ isnt a bad choice on black, can just do a few coats of it starting out. If you really want to see what works, you would have to do different panels in different combo's and see which you like.

6. Maintain - UQW is good for after future washes.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You process seems fine.
        As far as the wax goes. You best bet would be try different combo's. See which combo looks best to your eye. I like all three of your choices.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ok, so I finally had a few minutes to get to the paint. Did the clay bar yesterday, then the 07. Car is looking good. Going to wax tomorrow.

Now, I have a bottle of 26 and the "old GC" on the shelf. Mejier has the NEW GC for $9 right now. What should I do:

1 coat OLD GC and 1 coat of 26
          2 coats fo NEW GC

???

2009 G8 GT
          2006 VW Jetta TDI
          2003 2500HD Duramax 4x4

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');