• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather steering wheel - Shiny or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather steering wheel - Shiny or not?

I used a Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean to get rid of the shine on my wifes VW Passat steering wheel. Easy to do and make the steering wheel look and feel like that from a new car.

Before:

After:

50/50:

Dirty water from the steering wheel and transmission shifter:

I don't use leather conditioner on the steering wheel. It gets cleaned about two or three times a year using the magic eraser.

Re: Leather steering wheel - Shiny or not?

Good post.

I usually clean with a small brush, APC, and terry cloths.

That steering wheel looks and probably feels much better.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Good work. The steering wheel looks brand new.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks guys. It does feel new.

I've had the car for 7 years now and cleaned it perhaps 12-15 times. The leather feels as good as it ever has. I'm very gentle using the pads as they do act like a sand paper.

Comment

It really works- I magic eraser'd my entire Explorer- soft ad supple still. I know some raise concerns about them being too harsh, but I have notice4d zero degradation on my trucks, and they're 10+ years old. I keep them conditioned well... They also work awesome on door panels, armrests, and seatbelts for ground in dirt. I cleaned that one visible after and it took 95% of the dirt out...

This is the back seat- that one small patch on the closest seat at the seatback was not done yet. The difference is staggering...

This is a before and after:

Dash:

I love them...

2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
          2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Wow, I think I'm gonna have to invest in some of them! I really don't like having a shiney steering wheel, I prefer more of a matt or low gloss shine. Mpm and JoeDirt, your interiors look fantastic and convinced me to pick up some erasers!
            For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Excellent results!

I know some leather experts have warned that the use of the Magic Eraser on leather can cut away at the top coating, but regardless, I'd have to say in your scenario it worked very well and I can't imagine any leather cleaner having those types of results. Thanks for the info and keep us posted how it hold up.

Rasky
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                Excellent results!

I know some leather experts have warned that the use of the Magic Eraser on leather can cut away at the top coating, but regardless, I'd have to say in your scenario it worked very well and I can't imagine any leather cleaner having those types of results. Thanks for the info and keep us posted how it hold up.

Rasky
                The leather experts are correct, if you miss use the eraser. It actually works like sand paper so you can do damage if misused. I work the sponge(magic eraser) very gently on the wheel. I've never had a problem.

Comment

Exactly- you can't grind them in- it's really just enough pressure to free up the dirt and oils. I've just found that any cleaners and conditioners I've tried really didn't do much of anything for seats that were as dirty as mine.
                  2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
                  2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');