• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experienced suggestions appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced suggestions appreciated

After some staining drops splattered on my new truck, I decided to use meguiar's cleaner wax to remove them...it did exceptionally well. Of course then I noticed those areas that were just cleaned were MUCH smoother than the rest of the truck. So now I needed to wax the whole truck. I purchased a new Craftsman Orbital polisher wheel (last one just came apart while polishing truck) and continued with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It made HUGE improvements upon a new paint job, but still noticed scattered 'dingle-berries' throughout the paint. That's when I decided to research how to properly care for a paint job and landed here.
    I've since learned the 5 step process:
    Wash
    Clay (if needed)
    Clean
    Polish
    Wax

I'm leaning towards Meguiar's Deep Crystal cleaning products...any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's my line up:
    1. Deep Crystal Car Wash
    2. Surface Clay Kit
    3. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    4. Deep Crystal Polish
    5. Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax
    6. Quick Detailer
    7. Ultimate Protectant
    8. Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
    9. Hot Shine Tire Foam

I'm new at this and the $80+ price tag on the combined total of the above list seems a bit overkill.

Your insights and professional opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rick

Re: Experienced suggestions appreciated

Hey from across the river!

Deep Crystal is always good especially if your on a budget. Cleaner Wax is all good too if you don't have serious contaminations or defects in the paint. If so I'd step up to SwirlX or UC.
    For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Good system. I would say to using that entire system once a year will suffice along with waxing several times and washing when appropriate.

Cleaner/Wax is great for when you really don't want to go through the process of a full detail. In fact, another option would be to do the entire process with DC cleaning, polishing and waxing once and then continue with applications if Colorx once every other month. Colorx is stronger than Cleaner/Wax (maroon bottle) and is great for deep cleaning the paint. Applying it with your orbital would be great and I think you would see noticeable improvement.

So, in all, if you don't want to invest in a DA and continue using your orbital then that is fine but don't expect to remove any significant swirls with it.

1) You could do that process once a year while waxing with DC3 every 2-3 months and washing when appropriate.

2) You could do that entire process once now and then follow up with Colorx every other month 2-3 months after finishing this initial detail.

It's really up to you. The Colorx can be topped with DC3 if you want to give some longer lasting protection with increased looks. The Colorx process is shorter and I think will give you fantastic results on a daily driver.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

The initial costs are always a killer. But when you see the results you achieve and the money you are saving in the long run. It is well worth it.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Underdawg736;
          I notie you've been to Bakersfield...I'm originally from Fresno, CA. Moved to York in 2004 and still miss the valley.

I'll be caring for my wife's 2005 Honda Pilot (Black), my 2010 Forest Green Toyota Tacoma, and my Galaxy Blue 2005 Yamaha FJR1300.
          The bike's paint is probably the most abused, but still looks nice. The Honda Pilot has light scratching from probably abrasive cleaners. I've managed to hide most with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. The Tacoma is only 2 months old and in new condition; so caring for these vehicle should not be too involved and SwirlX or UC should not be necessary.

Coopers23,
          Utilizing ColorX in step two sounds like a viable option to Step one. I'll look into that as well.

J.A. Michaels,
          Yup, that's an unfortunate truth. Now off to find the Best possible price. If anybody knows of or is selling for less than the advertised price, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Rick

Comment

I was deployed to the Mid East with a reserve unit from Bakersfield, only spent 5 days there before flying out of Fresno. Made alot of friends from the Bakersfield/Wasco/Delano area. It seems to be a pretty nice area but I like my Amish Country!

J.A. nailed it, initial start up is a killer but it's worth it in my opinion.

If you can find DC Paint Cleaner, get it since it's been retired and SwirlX has taken its place. Also it wouldn't hurt to grab some NXT 2.0 wax, it's a bit pricier then the DC wax but it'll last longer especially with our winters as I'm sure you've experienced already. 2 coats with proper maintenance will definitely get you thru the worst of winter.

If you're buying locally, check out Wal Mart and Target as they have sales, auto part stores is a given but I think they up their prices a bit. If you have a BJ's membership, they have combo packs (usually NXT, UC, UQD) that are a lot cheaper then buying them stand alone at other stores.
            If you're buying online, check this site out:

They usually have excellent prices and weekly specials.

Good luck on your vehicles!
            For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Originally posted by Underdawg736 View Post
              I was deployed to the Mid East with a reserve unit from Bakersfield, only spent 5 days there before flying out of Fresno. Made alot of friends from the Bakersfield/Wasco/Delano area. It seems to be a pretty nice area but I like my Amish Country!
              Thank you for your service...and advice

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');