• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Single Clear Coat. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Single Clear Coat. Is it possible?

Is it possible to add a another layer of clear coat without stripping
    the existing paint on a car? If possible, roughly how much would it cost?
    Its for my S2000.

Re: Adding Single Clear Coat. Is it possible?

Originally posted by bitz
    Is it possible to add a another layer of clear coat without stripping
    the existing paint on a car? If possible, roughly how much would it cost?
    Its for my S2000.
    Here's the deal...

You can add another layer of clear paint to your existing car's finish, however, in order insure the new layer of clear will adhere properly, the body shop technicians will have to scuff and/or sand down the entire original finish exactly as though they were preparing for a normal repaint, minus doing any body work. (Assuming your S2000 is dent and defect free).

During the sanding process the technicians would have to be very careful not to sand through the existing clear so they wouldn't disrupt the color coat underneath, especially if it is a metallic finish. You see, any changes made to the color coat under the existing clear coat will show up, or be visible under the new layer of clear coat, so care would have to be taken. This would be especially important around raised body lines where paint is the thinnest.

I asked a local painter at a very high end custom paint and car restoration shop what it would cost to put ghost flames on a brand new car and the price he gave me was $3500.00

He said the right way to do it would be to prep the car exactly as though they were going to re-clear the entire car, then they would apply the flames and then re-clear the entire car. (The ghost flames would be under the clear coat).

What you're thinking of doing is basically the same thing, minus the flames.

Does this help?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Seems like it cost more than I thought.
      I was guessing it would be around 1000 for the most... but oh
      well...

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Seems like it cost more than I thought.
        I was guessing it would be around 1000 for the most... but oh
        well...
        You might be able to get this kind of work done at a lower cost, the shop I checked with was more on the high-end side.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

... but oh well...
          Keep in mind that the estimate Mike got was from a high-end restoration shop doing ghost flames. Ghost flames take a considerable amount of work by a skilled craftsman, usually using expensive chameleon paints. Since you just need the clear the price will come down. A high-end shop also has the capabilities, overhead, history and reputation to charge premium rates for top quality work.

A good local shooter who knows what he's doing but has a simpler shop and doesn't have his "name out there" can do very good work for a reasonable cost. Check around with local Car Crazies and see if you can come up with the names of some painters to talk to.

I've also had friends who saved money by doing the prep work themselves so the painter only had to do the shoot. Like Mike said, prepping clearcoat for more clearcoat is much more delicate work than prepping for primer and pigment so you would have to work very carefully in conjunction with your painter. Still, it's not brain surgery. It can be done by a diligent and meticulous DIY'er.

PC.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');