• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Bug & Tar Remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Bug & Tar Remover

Any suggestions on how to remove dried Bug & Tar Remover. It feels like a wax. As you can see, much of it is behind the grill and difficult to access. It can be removed like wax, but the issue is getting at it. I'm skeptical that APC, APC+ or Super Degreaser will remove it without agitation.

Re: Removing Bug & Tar Remover

Try APC, you probably will have to agitate with a brush, maybe even one hole at a time. It look like you have a lot of work ahead of you Bill, Good luck though

Comment

Apc and a brush should make short order of it.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

That stuff should just wash off with water...i know when i apray that stuff it washes off without any scrubing

Comment

Aris, it's dry, it's been on there for at least a week.

Lucky for me guys, I don't have to detail this vehicle. It's a friends vehicle. He brought it over yesterday and we tried some Body Solvent and a soft bristle brush on it, hoping like would remove like but we had zero success.

I could easily remove the product with my fingernail (it felt just like wax), so agitation is the key. It's the stuff that is behind the grill that is the issue. It's 6-8 inches back there. I suggested APC, a toothbrush and long Q-Tips if needed. Perhaps even removing the grill.

Thanks guys. I asked him to keep me posted on his success in removal. I'll post the results.

Comment

I just bought one of these, want me to bring it over?

Comment

Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
              I just bought one of these, want me to bring it over?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RD80770-...r/EN/index.htm
              Yes please. I see it's the light model (only 205lbs).

I suggested he take it to the car wash first. Perhaps the hot soapy water backed by a bit of pressure would be enough. The area behind the grill still might be an issue. As you may not want to get too close to the grill with high pressure. It's a mint condition Lexus.

Given the area that it's at, I would use the tire/grease pre-treat at the car wash, let it dwell for a minute, then give it a spray.

Comment

Yes, something warm may help.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
                  Aris, it's dry, it's been on there for at least a week.

Lucky for me guys, I don't have to detail this vehicle. It's a friends vehicle. He brought it over yesterday and we tried some Body Solvent and a soft bristle brush on it, hoping like would remove like but we had zero success.

I could easily remove the product with my fingernail (it felt just like wax), so agitation is the key. It's the stuff that is behind the grill that is the issue. It's 6-8 inches back there. I suggested APC, a toothbrush and long Q-Tips if needed. Perhaps even removing the grill.

Thanks guys. I asked him to keep me posted on his success in removal. I'll post the results.
                  This was my first thought. You may be able to just unscrew a couple bolts and remove it no problem. Is there access to that area by simply opening the hood? I'd hate to see you down in there with a toothbrush if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

In engineering class they always told me this: work smart, not hard.

I'm interested to see how it goes because I've seen this sort of contamination before.

Matt
                  -----

Comment

That looks like the lower grille on my IS350. You should be able to use a finger and a MF to clean it off. I also use something I got from ADS (I think). Don't see them on their site..or maybe it was from somewhere else...Anyways they are show wooden dowles with foam tips. Great for applying All Season Dressing to all the small honeycombs.

It was autogeek

Autogeek is your number one car care source for auto detailing supplies, the best car wax, car care products, car polishes, auto accessories, polishers, and car detailing tools store.

Comment

Let me know what works, I have the same problems. Made the mistake of letting the gold class B&T remover dry. Still didnt take the bugs off!

Ive tried APC soft scrub brush. Then let APC soak a few. Then got desperate and tried wheel brightener, still nothing.

Comment

Apologies for reviving such an old thread, but unfortunately this product is still causing havoc. I got some on my grill and front skirt and I'm having some serious issues getting it off.

Has anyone actually managed to get it off with a chemical? My grill came up somewhat OK with a toothbrush but the skirt is not getting clean at all.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');