• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White car, #80 and the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White car, #80 and the PC

Hi,

I have a white car and wanted to take some swirls out of it. I have the PC and #80 and was having problems figuring out how long to polish one section of the car. I've attended one of Mike's detailing classes and he said to buff it until there is a thin layer on the car but it's kinda hard to see the thin layer on a white car.

Any suggestions????

yes this thread should help out Using #83 and #80, and getting your G100/PC to do the work of a rotary.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: White car, #80 and the PC

Originally posted by effxs
      Hi,

I have a white car and wanted to take some swirls out of it. I have the PC and #80 and was having problems figuring out how long to polish one section of the car. I've attended one of Mike's detailing classes and he said to buff it until there is a thin layer on the car but it's kinda hard to see the thin layer on a white car.

Any suggestions????
      Hi effxs,

You bring up a good point, seeing a film on a white car, especially when the film is white is very difficult. This is where having years of hands-on experience helps a lot. If you're just starting out then you can do this.

Buff a section a section approximately 12 to 16 inches square, or whatever works for your body panel for 3-5 minutes. Then wipe off the results and inspect carefully. If the defects are gone, or have been removed enough that you are satisfied, then you now have a feeling for how long to buff in one area before moving on.

I've actually buffed out a number of special interest car in horrible lighting conditions in my life; I used this method and drew from my experience of knowing that if I buff X amount of time, I'll get YZ results.

Perhaps I can suggest the chemist to tint some of our white products a little just for this reason. I like the color of the new M21 for example, it's a light purple color.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

#80 is green, at least to start off with. As it is buffed to a thin layer it will turn white though.

RamAirV1
        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
          #80 is green, at least to start off with. As it is buffed to a thin layer it will turn white though.

RamAirV1
          Hi RamAirV1

Good point, I'm typing too fast... lot's of e-mail and PM's today behind the scenes.

Busy day.... I meant to upload pictures from the hot rod clinic we had Saturday and I can't get out of my inbox

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

My car is blue, so it's hard for me to tell the true color of #80 as the abrasives break down. All I can tell is that the #80 is there waiting to be removed.

I figured you were having a busy day. It's amazing how fast the inbox can fill up!

Your advice about X amount of time = Yzresults will work on any color.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hey,

Just to add...

Mike's comment about buffing the product for 3-5 minutes is right on the money in MHO. Usually, #80 will turn white/clear when it has broken down. And on white paint, this can be very tough to spot. Take a halogen and point it at a 45 degree angle to the paint. This will help you see the residue!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');