• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaf Blower Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Blower Review

From time to time this comes up as a method for drying a vehicles finish after washing and rinsing. A leaf blower is an ideal way to harmlessly remove droplets of water that can cause water spots once they evaporate. Using air instead of towels makes allot of sense because the only thing that touches the finish is air so it leaves no marks.

I was in the market for one and didn't want to spend allot of money so after looking around at physical sizes, air speed, CFM, and cost I settled on the Troy-Bilt TB197BV Electric Motor Leaf Blower.

This leaf blower is light weight and very maneuverable allowing the user to position it in any way they need it. The airflow is variable but at full throttle this unit makes short work of any water droplets it comes in contact with. The mouths shape of the extension precisely concentrates the flow of clean high-speed air right where you need it making short work of any water leftover after rinsing. The handles are cushioned and the air speed control it variable so the user can adjust it to suit their specific needs.

Engine/Motor - 12 amp
    Air Speed - Adjustable
    Air Velocity - 245 mph maximum
    Air Volume - 475 CFM
    Construction - Plastic
    Warranty - 2 years

At $59.00 I figured it would be a decent investment for this purpose and I can tell you it was.

BobbyG

Re: Leaf Blower Review

Nice ! Does it work well for blowing all the water off and out of crevices and cracks.
    I used the blower function of my shop vac right now but I might take my grandads leaf blower and try it

Comment

Originally posted by Ravi_1992 View Post

Does it work well for blowing all the water off and out of crevices and cracks.

Blowing all the water out of the cracks and crevices would be the number one attribute of a leaf blower for use on automobiles.

Comment

A leaf blower works great but my main purpose in using one is to get where the water hides (seams, side mirrors, vents/cowling, emblems, wheels/tires, gas cap, wipers, etc, etc,. You will still have some small water droplets remaining, and a quality waffle weave or microfiber towel with QD to follow up after is key.

Comment

I used the blower function of my shop vac r
          I used to do that also, but found my air compressor works better. With the proper fitting, it is more direct in crevices, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Blowing all the water out of the cracks and crevices would be the number one attribute of a leaf blower for use on automobiles.

I think he was questioning it in comparison to using compressed air. Typically you're dealing with a much smaller nozzle. Which is ideal for cracks and crevices.

Personally I favor my air compressor because of the smaller nozzle. This allows me to use it for the interior, under seats etc. I can also add long nosed attachments to get into places nothing else would be able to access. I also like the fact that I can fine tune (regulate) the pressure.

At $60 a leave blower is tough to beat. It's also much smaller than a compressor, if you need to lug the thing around with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post

I think he was questioning it in comparison to using compressed air.

Nice ! Does it work well for blowing all the water off and out of crevices and cracks.

I used the blower function of my shop vac right now but I might take my grandads leaf blower and try it

Comment

I've been shopping for a shop-vac, thinking about this one which also doubles as a blower:

Comment

Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
                  I've been shopping for a shop-vac, thinking about this one which also doubles as a blower:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
                  I'd personally refrain from using a shop vac as a method of drying a vehicle (unless it hasn't been used as a vacuum). Small partials blow out the end of the hose. Making it more like a sandblaster. It's up to you, it depends on how fussy you are about your paint. They certainly put out enough air.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
                    I'd personally refrain from using a shop vac as a method of drying a vehicle. Small partials blow out the end of the hose. Making it more like a sandblaster. It's up to you, it depends on how fussy you are about your paint. They certainly put out enough air.
                    This one the motor comes off like a stand alone leaf blower:

Comment

Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
                      This one the motor comes off like a stand alone leaf blower:
                      Much better, just run it for a few seconds and you should be good to go.
                      Handy unit.

Comment

I use a cordless Black and Decker model so I don't have to deal with an extension cord. The battery stores enough power to dry one car after a flood rinse.

The battery powers down to a low yield blast after about 10 minutes of use. I then turn it on my dog, who absolutely loves it on a hot day and will stand in front of it for minutes on end with his eyes closed.

Comment

I have this one and it works fine.

Comment

I use a gas leaf blower for the main drying of my car. As said previously it gets the vast majority of the water, especially in the hidden areas. I too follow up with a waffle weave to get the left overs and follow with a quick detailer.

The blower is less effective if you are needing a wax. Too much surface tension with a non-slippery surface to do a great job...What a good excuse to throw a coat of wax on between major detail jobs!

Comment

Fun story about leaf blowers...

A couple years back we received a call from a customer who was pretty upset with Meguiar's after using one of our products. I can't even remember the exact product or situation. Something was happening on his finish and his assumption was that it has to be the Meguiar's I used, right!?!?!?

A month later we received a return call from this gentlemen letting us know he discovered the problem. His gas powered leaf blower was not just blowing air but also gas all over his car while drying his vehicle.

So if you choose to use a leaf blower make sure it's working properly, or just go electric.
                              Brian Hann
                              Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                              Meguiar's Inc.
                              Irvine, California
                              bhann@meguiars.com
                              (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');