• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DA polisher on sharp edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA polisher on sharp edges

How do you use (if possible) a DA polisher on sharp edges of body panels? I am mainly concern about this when I am using paint cleaners or abrasive products. I have a 2009 Scion xB, and my door panels and hood have sharp edges.

Re: DA polisher on sharp edges

I would try to stay a away from the edges, you can try going really close but like you said , the corners are sharp. Going over the sharp edges can start shredding your pad ( this has happened to me ) or you can possibly go right through the paint on the edges ( maybe not because its a DA )

Comment

But, is it OK to go around CURVED panels? Later on, I will post pictures of the body panels I am talking about. Thanks!

Comment

If you are worried about burning through the paint on the edges then you should not be worrying. When you hit an edge like that, the pad automatically slows down becasue too much pressure is put on one part of the pad hindering the rotation and stopping the cut. This is the safety clutch built into the machine.
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I'm going copy & paste an excerpt from the brilliant Mr. Michael Stoops:

Taping is done for a variety of reasons:
          • It helps prevent getting compounds/cleaner/polishes/waxes onto trim that might stain
          • The above also makes clean up a bit faster and easier
          • It helps prevent a build up these products in crevices/cracks/gaps
          • Wider tape is used to cover grilles and other openings so that a rotary buffer won't splatter product into them
          • Taping off certain pieces of metal trim can save the pad from getting ripped up by the trim
          • Tape can protect delicate trim from potential damage inflicted by a rotary, especially when using a foam cutting pad at fairly high speed
          • When panel gaps are uneven tape can protect the higher adjacent panel from getting damaged by a rotary (the paint on the edge of a panel is thinner than on the face of the panel itself and is therefore more prone to burn through)

Some of the above applies only to the rotary, primarily those regarding trim protection, but for clean up and pad safety most apply to the D/A as well.

Comment

I would exercise caution, and use good judgement when polishing sharp edges, even with an orbital, such as a PC, Griots, G100, Flex, ect. As far as advising one on how to use a DA on sharp edges, that would depend on the particular edge in question.

In my experiences, using a light compound/polish with a LC white, or even orange pad, I wouldn't trip on doing damage. I pretty much just glide over sharp edges with my PC. If you were to use an aggressive method, (cutting pad, heavy compound) put the machine on 6, and pressed down real hard while passing slowly, there is a possibility of doing damage.

Comment

Just be careful. If you can't get the majority of the pad on ease up your pressure with the d/a.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');