• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Vac or Extractor for carpet Cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Vac or Extractor for carpet Cleaning?

Do you guys use a shop vac with APC and a brush to shampoo carpet

or

Do you guys Use a extractor? ( like the ones that are hundreds or even thousands of dollars )

or

Both?
    Shop Vac
    50.00%
    Extractor
    24.00%
    Both
    26.00%

Re: Shop Vac or Extractor for carpet Cleaning?

I've owned several extractors throughout the years, but if you know what you're doing they aren't required to clean an interior properly. If you think about it, all's an extractor does is spray pressurized hot water into a fabric and vacuums it up. The end result can be comparably mimicked in almost every application. The key to proper interior cleaning is identifying your problem and using the appropriate pre-cleaner to treat it prior to introducing any rear dampness to the surface.
    South Florida & Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Comment

I guess it really depends on how dirty and deep the stain or dirt is and if you are doing production work. My 31 year old Camaro seats came perfectly clean using the Tuck91 method (APC 10:1, agitate with brush and blot with cotton terry towel), however I was dealing with surface dirt. I then just misted them with a bit of water and used the shop vac to remove any traces of the APC.

Just like paint, (as David stated) in most cases we should use the least aggressive method to get the job done. Why introduce excess moisture to a classic car if it isn't necessary, but a trashed mini van going onto a used car lot - why not.

I'd like to have an extractor, but from all of Tuck91's details it's obvious that it's not necessary, so for now... I'll stick with the cheap old shop vac and cotton terry towels.

Comment

I use my shop vac as the extractor. Works well. IMHO no need for the expense of the extractor.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I bought a Bissell LGM with Pro Heat (kind of a poor man's extractor) for $50 off CraigsList. Used it last week on some mats with APC+ and was impressed with the results

Comment

I'm glad I've found this tread .. Looking for some time to buy a machine of this sort.

Is Bissell available in Australia, if someone knows?

Comment

Lgm!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Shop vac.
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I use the MyTee Lite II and wont ever turn back!
                  My typical process is to mist the seats, spray my APC, agitate and then extract. My machine gets the water to 200 degrees and the power of the little pump mimics that of a pressure washer (200psi) and really busts up stains.... if you dont think pressurized, hot as coffee water doesnt help then your nutz
                  Secondly I can upsell my service from a "spot clean" to a "full shampoo" - just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by fredcandetail View Post
                    Secondly I can upsell my service from a "spot clean" to a "full shampoo" - just my 2 cents
                    This is 100% true. From a marketing aspect, an extractor gives you an edge as will a steam cleaner. Having said that, I know that personally, I achieve very good results with a brush and a shopvac. I tried the LGM and I am not impressed. I do not think it has enough suction to warrant using it over a 6.5 hp Shop Vac. Plus, it was just one more machine I had to tote around that now no longer is necessary. Back to the original question, no I do not use an extractor although I have nothing against them.
                    ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
                    www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
                    (352) 897-0050

Comment

Shop Vac here

Saw a guy on Autopia rig up a nice extractor though for the low low

Comment

You need the shop vac for the big dirt, regardless of whether you have an extractor or not. If you do use an extractor you don't want to vacuum up chunks, only the dirt, and coffee, and soda, and so on.

My Duramaid is da bomb. Much more thorough of a job than I could do before. I personally feel like I'm giving the customer a cleaner carpet/seat and it's easier on the old joints. I also like replacing the the scrub brush with a rotating brush on my PC. Again, easier on the joints.

So I voted ... both.

Comment

I am a big advocate for the extractor. I used to use just a shop vac and some brushes when I started detailing professionally. I saved up and got a 4 gallon extractor and I have been happy ever since. I believe that there is a difference in results and ease of use. Yes it is another thing to lug around and of course the expense, but I think it is an asset.
                          Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

I use a steam cleaner and a shop-vac. I debated a long time on whether to go with the steam cleaner or extractor (they are very similar in price). In my opinion an extractor is better for carpet and fabric. By better I mean it is faster, I can achieve the same results with my steam cleaner in just a little more time.

The steam cleaner has many more applications though. I can clean crevices, vents, headliners, pretty much anything on the interior of the car. I have used it to clean engine compartments and wheels on exterior details.
                            Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
                            Guard: And your name is...?
                            Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Comment

I have a 30+ year old Craftsman shop vac set up as just a wet vac...***** the **** out of things and nothing new has come close to it...It's worked great for me as long as the right product is used on whatever your cleaning.
                              Bill Poirier
                              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');