• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning the clear plastic behind the steering wheel ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning the clear plastic behind the steering wheel ..

its a true problem area for me. I never get satisfactory results when wiping over the area that covers the speedo & tachometer etc. Usually its covered in fingerprints &/or dust and leaves smeary marks everywhere.... perhaps someone could share with me what works for them.
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

I use a micro fiber towel with window cleaner. Works great on windows to.
    Jeff

Comment

Hey, that's the perfect place for PlastX and the plastic polishes! The clear plastic there is very soft and scratches easily. I use a mf towel with plastic polish; works great, looks clear!

Tom
      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

So, Plastx will remove any scratches from my gauge cluster cover? I've got a lot of light swirls on the cover, and would love to remove them!
        2003 Mach 1
        Azure Blue
        5 speed/IUP
        2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
        KY Horsepower

Comment

I used PlastX with a MF on the guages of my '67 Camaro. It cleared it up, no swirls or scratches!

Comment

I bought PlastX for that very reason, and while it seemed to clear up the scratches, it left a terrible amount of fine Micromarring. I prefer the older Plastic Polish and Cleaner(can't remember the numbers off hand) as they seem clean based off the application material(more cleaning with cotton and less with microfiber) and the Polish fills more than anything and offers wonderful clarity. I would still recomend PlastX if you have scratches, but not for fine polishing of the instrument cover. It works wonders on headlights though.
            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

I use M#10 on my dash assembly. Never had any problems and it leaves it looking invisible.
              "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
              R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by SingingSabre
                I use M#10 on my dash assembly. Never had any problems and it leaves it looking invisible.
                Is M#10 different from PlastX?
                2003 Mach 1
                Azure Blue
                5 speed/IUP
                KY Horsepower

Comment

I prefer Plastx... never had a problem and I use it all the time on my headlights and tail lights. Even on new vehicles it shines the plastic up very well. Having used both PlastX and the Pro system, PlastX is easier to use and seems to provide the same results as the pro system. I have not tried the side by side just my opinion.

Here is something that I did just messing around a few months ago. Got this plastic from work and its been out side 10+ years. Polished with PlatsX (one side) you can see it cleaned all the yellowing off. There still is what looks like cracks in the entire piece but they in the plastic (below the surface) not on the surface so they are not repairable. Just did it to see what was possible, was surprised how well it worked.

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
                    Is M#10 different from PlastX?
                    Not sure on the make up of the products but M10 is brown or am I thinking of M17? Plastx is a very light bluish/greenish. I would guess they are different formulas.

Last edited by gb387; Mar 10, 2005, 11:17 AM.
                    Brandon

Comment

Can I find PlastX in an automotive store like Autozone or will I probably need to order it from Meguiar's?
                      2003 Mach 1
                      Azure Blue
                      5 speed/IUP
                      KY Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
                        Can I find PlastX in an automotive store like Autozone or will I probably need to order it from Meguiar's?

I have never seen it in stores, I had to order it.
                        Brandon

Comment

Hey,

The key with using PlastX is to REALLY REALLY work the product in until it basically turns to a clear residue. If you remove the product too soon or do not work it long enough, the diminishing abrasives may not break down far enough which could cause micro-marring. Moreover, be sure to use a very high quality MF towel for product removal. I prefer Meg's Ultimate Wipe.

Cheers!

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                            Not sure on the make up of the products but M10 is brown or am I thinking of M17? Plastx is a very light bluish/greenish. I would guess they are different formulas.

Actually, I think that M10 is white, and M17 is brown. It really throws you off, I always reach for M10 when I'm working with M17 since I think the dark bottle = darker liquid. I really wish they would change the color of the bottles, I always manage to make that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                              Hey,

The key with using PlastX is to REALLY REALLY work the product in until it basically turns to a clear residue.
                              Tim, have you seen PlastX in auto stores anywhere?
                              2003 Mach 1
                              Azure Blue
                              5 speed/IUP
                              KY Horsepower

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');