• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a low-key buisness. Not really a buisness per say. More of "Word-Of-Mouth" buisness. I do many cars for the people that go to my school, and some others.

Comment

I voted other since I haven't detailed other cars in a couple of years. I honestly can say that being a member of MOL has really started up my "fire" for detailing again. Of course I'm adding some much needed arsenal to my side by adding the G100. I wish I had it when my old car was still around. My old car had a red SS factory paint that shined like a new chrome w/ the DC system. I could just imagine what it would have looked like with some #80 and a PC w/ NXT wax.

I am trying to get back into the detailing business on the side for some extra cash since things have been really slow at work. Hopefully the folks that I had did detailing before will still need my touch on their cars after my long vacation. It's time to get my hands dirty on other folks cars.
      2016 Focus ST

Comment

I'm a weekend warrior. I mainly due my own and my families, but have done a few others by request. I want to get a lot better, so when I get ready to retire, I can detail cars to A: make money and, B: keep from getting board just sitting around. This is still several years away.
        2005 GMC Sierra-Black(Oh Yeah it's Black )

Comment

I hated doing cars as I did it all by hand and it would take me 8 to 10 hours to do a full detail on the outside; wash, Clay, DC Paint cleaner, scratchX, Colour boost, DC polish, DC wax. Now that I have a 125mm dual action polishing/sanding machine it takes me 3 hours to do the most part them I do the little/tight areas by hand. I still wipe all surfaces off by hand with microfibres until I can get those bonnets over here in Australia for the DA machine.

I love detailing motorcycles though as it might take longer and is more fiddly but once the paint and chrome are polished there is nothing better than it. My little DA machine makes doing the paint work so much easier, all I need now is for the Nxt gene all metal polish to come in a liquid form so I can use the DA machine to do the metal polishing.

I made the mistake of going to 2 motorcycle poker runs/pub crawls, one on saturday and one on the following sunday and me being me took my Meguiars gear and offered a free detail as a prize on both days. Not only did I have people waiting at the end of the day for me to do a basic detail (waterless wash, colour boost, DC wetlook, nxt gene all metal polish) but I now have more work then I can get though. One guy even suggested that I get a motorcycle trailer and set up a fully contained unit (Planned for, just need the money to buy the parts and time to weld it togther and paint).

But after spending the last 2 weeks in hospital cause I stuffed my back up again things will be a little slow and booring as I am not suppose to get out of bed. But thats the story of my life, one good thing arrives and 10 bad things show up.

Comment

Most of the time my detailing adventures are limited to my own car however from time to time, I "help" a friend and work his car too.
            showroomglaze.net

Comment

Re: So, where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

I just detail my own car and sometimes my sis and my dad's car. Maybe once or twice a year I detail my uncle and his wife'w car. And maybe my very close friend's car. That's all.

Comment

I enjoy keeping our 3 vehicles detailed. I also do a fair number of side jobs, but as many of you know by all the questions I've asked lately, I'm looking to go to the next level in detailing.

JRau in central Iowa
                It's GREAT going Cadillac!
                The Standard of the World.

Comment

puts food on the table roof over my head all that.
                  put one daughter through college, have another one at UCLA plan on retiring after she gets out......................................WELL MAYBE NOT( NO REALLY I LOVE MY JOB)
                  Noswirler

Comment

Wash and detail the family cars regulary...when ever relatives come over they get the full treatment so I dont have a dirty car sitting in my driveway LOL. Every once in a while a nieghbor will ask for a wash and wax (not full detail)
                    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Up until a month ago, I was doing "driveway detailing" for references from car clubs and a few neighbors.

Then, I met a BMW reseller (he buys late model Bimmers from their leasing side). The volume is low (1-2 cars per week), the shop is a joy to work in on weekends and weeknights when I'm not traveling with my other job. The owner showed me techniques I never tried before (he's been a BMW dealer and reseller for over 30 years) like sanding with 2000 and 3000 grit, compounding and use of a rotary, etc.

And, he's more particular about how the cars turn out than I am.

Here's a pic of the shop

The biggest advantage is I'm in a constant environment and don't have to watch the Weather Channel for every job LOL

Totoland Mach
                      Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

That looks like a nice shop. Wish I had something to work out of like that.
                        For now I am doing weekend jobs. Hope to one day do it full time. Just got my website running so hopefully that helps me land more jobs.

Originally posted by Totoland Mach View Post
                        Up until a month ago, I was doing "driveway detailing" for references from car clubs and a few neighbors.

Then, I met a BMW reseller (he buys late model Bimmers from their leasing side). The volume is low (1-2 cars per week), the shop is a joy to work in on weekends and weeknights when I'm not traveling with my other job. The owner showed me techniques I never tried before (he's been a BMW dealer and reseller for over 30 years) like sanding with 2000 and 3000 grit, compounding and use of a rotary, etc.

And, he's more particular about how the cars turn out than I am.

Here's a pic of the shop

The biggest advantage is I'm in a constant environment and don't have to watch the Weather Channel for every job LOL

Totoland Mach
                        Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                        www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                        Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

full time pays for the love of my life,bmw m3!
                          had the pleasure of hosting mike this summer at our shop and deal regularly with rod kraft.
                          i have never met to nicer people!
                          also i think it is amazing that i get to drive cars that some people have only seen in print!
                          Mike
                          The Shine Shop
                          410-833-1632
                          Reisterstown MD

Comment

i've just done mine and friend cars... paid a few times for it. need to get paid some more.

worked with my friend who owns his own detailing business a few times too
                            BMW Carbon Black '99 Dakota R/T (Click Here)

Comment

I usually do my own cars. I do requests. It is relaxing for me. I do not want it to become a "job".
                              MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I just started when I got my current car, a '98 Malibu used last spring. The paint wasn't in terrible shape, but not great either. The interior was grimy, dirty and icky, but it was obvious if I could get it cleaned up I'd have a decent car.

I'm still learning, I've got the interior in outstanding shape, and the paint is a lot shinier and smoother, although I still have to get more experience to get the swirls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');