• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MASKING- Looking for the RIGHT way to do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MASKING- Looking for the RIGHT way to do it

What type of tape do you guys use and where can I buy it?
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
      What type of tape do you guys use and where can I buy it?
      Painter's tape. Walmart, paint stores, Big Lots, Dollar Stores, etc.
      Heatgain (Gary)
      The Irate Magistrate
      Neutral & Detached

Comment

now this is a full write up on how to do it right... i think taping up is also time consuming but crucial to the final results of the detail....do you use the 3M blue tape?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Here are some examples of what I cover before doing what I call a "Complete". When I used to detail cars full time, if I had to start with the compounding process, then I would call the job a "Complete", because I had to start with the hardest and most time consuming process, (removing serious defect with a rotary buffer and a compound), and work my way through multiple steps until I had achieved a show car finish, in other words, I had to completely go over the car finish with all the steps required for a show car finish.

In order to prevent splatter on wheels and tires, you can purchase wheel covers and any good PBE store or just use what you already have, newspaper and tape

After covering the wheels and tires, start taping-off everything you don't' want to detail later, (Here the word detail means, get the wax out of the cracks, or anything you don't want to get excess product, (splatter), into, such as under grills where the area under the grill is not readily accessible, or you don't want to run the buffer over, like high points, edges and body seams, or even known thin areas.

Mike
          nice e34 M5. isn't this the car that's on the bottle of scratch-X?
          Newb!

Comment

One can use large plastic trash bags to cover wheel and tire assemblies to protect them from buffer splatter.
            Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
            Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

For covering the tires, just go to a RV store and buy spare tire covers. Just make sure to get the ones designed for large 5th wheel trailers as they are usually 235/85R/16 size and will cover most tires well enough. Also try and get the ones without the felt lining as pieces of lint may stick to the tires.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

How do you correct the areas that were covered with tape during the machine correction? By hand? How do you properly blend it with the machine corrected areas?

I generally finish the areas that were taped up by hand though it is time consuming and often time, to the trained eye, I can kind of see where I had taped it. It really bothers me.
                James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                Calais Auto Detailing
                CalaisDetails@aim.com
                www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Here is another graphic I had made a while ago. Don't know if it helps here, but I love making these things...

Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

I liked that graphic. Too bad I don't have a Lambo.

Now to go over the rx8 like that.

The area I have trouble with is the hood. As the top-middle is in an odd shape. although, I don't see that being a tape-item.
                    - Cliff
                    "Don't wait for the iron to be hot to strike it. Make it hot by striking."

Comment

3M paint guard

I have a 2011 Infiniti g37s in black and was purchased new with a 3M paint guard placed in all the places prone to scratches and chips (front bumper, partial hood, mirrors, etc). I have tried cleaning this with typical washing claying and compounding with no effect. All it is is protective clear film. What can I use to get rid of the awful water marks left behind. Also when I detail the car by hand that area stands out as not being too detailed at all. I will receive my da on Monday and will give it a try over that area but what else can I try if that doesn't work. Here is a pic of the hood where the film stops. The top portion of the pic is the film.

Comment

Re: 3M paint guard

You should post this in its own thread for the best responses.

Comment

Ok well I mask my cars parts that I do not want to contaminated with compound. I usually cover small areas to prevent compound from drying in small crevices like door handle and so forth. If anything is black and plastic I tape off. It takes only about 20 min but can save hours removing if not done. I have a couple of pics.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');