• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to clean alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does that mean that you hurt something else?

Comment

NO! I did not hurt anything I have done plenty of other engines to and there never seems to be a prolem. By the way waht kind of Jeep do you have?
      Jeff Burrows
      JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

umm as the username implies ZJ= Grand Cherokee i think the viscous coupling may be going out though

Comment

Hey,

Just to chime in here....

We need to be careful; though some may not have had problems cleaning engines, there is a serious potential to do damage.

Some companies are releasing bulletins specifying products that are non-corrosive, to prevent damage to sensitive electronics. Another problem is that with the number of different materials under the hood, using just any engine degreaser could lead to damage, particularly with aluminum in the form of chemical etching. So while the engine may appear just fine, in a short time the damage may become apparent. Further, it is not the wiring so much, but rather the sensors that are the concern. Between the O2, MAF, ECM, etc... water on any of these could spell disaster. However, it is not only these sensors. I made reference to certain Nissan engines that have recessed spark plugs as well.

So while I love a clean engine, it would only be prudent that caution as well as every precaution should be used if you decide to clean the engine.

Just IMHO!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Just to chime in here, Tim's dead on when he says,

Originally posted by 2hotford
            We need to be careful; though some may not have had problems cleaning engines, there is a serious potential to do damage.

So while I love a clean engine, it would only be prudent that caution as well as every precaution should be used if you decide to clean the engine.

Just IMHO!

Tim
            I plan on uploading the pictures and finishing the write-up for the Engine Detailing How-To this week. Hopefully this will provide some direction as to how to work safely when detailing engine compartments.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Post has been removed and poster banned due to inappropriate comments.

[This poster is 17 years old. Please keep that in mind when he states he has cleaned engines for years]

Comment

Hey,

*JeepZJlover I think everyone reading this thread should realize that you are only 17 years old, and most likely have very limited experience in detailing engines. Therefore, it would be wise for members to take advice with caution.

Yes I have worked on many engines/drivetrains etc. My brother and father are both certified GM mechanics with a combined 49 years of experience. So, growing up in a family of mechanics does tend to have you fixing your own vehicle.

So while the O2 sensor is screwed in, the wire going to the sensor etc may become corroded if used with the wrong cleaner/degreaser.

Tim

Comment

Self Banned

Comment

Hey,

Sure, you can use dielectric grease, which I do by the way. However, that is only one sensor. Plus rainstorms do not have chemical degreasers in them.

Tim

Comment

*** Enough is a enough. Your post has been removed due to your lack of actual experience in detailing engines. Haphazard posts on this topic could cost $1000's if someone take erroneous information and uses it themselves.

Comment

Hey,

Let's keep this friendly!

My point is that people need to use caution.

Tim

Comment

Removed.

Self Banned permantly

Comment

Good.

Now let's get this thread back on topic!

Thanks

Tim

Comment

on the alternator, i think the safest way of cleaning would be a scraper and some sand paper..... i wouldnt risk having to replace it because some cleaner and water got in it, and i would think a scraper and sand paper would do a good job if you have the patience

Comment

umm i think the goal here is to not scratch it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');