• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to clean alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'd rather have a ugly alternator than a broken alternator... i guess you can try to use a toothbrush with some degresser on it and just keep on scrubbing then apply some metal polish on it....

Comment

if i was looking to make it look pretty id clean it up take a wire brush to it then paint it with aluminum paint with metallic

Comment

Ok

Look we all have our oppinions on this engine cleaning thing. I think that you be safe on anything from 1990 and up or a really old 50's or 60's. There should be caution in our steps and only 1 out of 10 times will somthing mess up seriously. I several methods and products to cleaning an engine and all the years I have cleaned engines I have never had a problem.
        JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Hey Jeff,

* Jeff I think everyone reading this thread should realize that you are only 17 or 18 years old, and most likely have very limited experience in detailing engines. Therefore, it would be wise for members to take advice with caution.*

You are right, it is an opinion. And to be fair, again it must be emphasized that risk is a part of it.

Though I personally do not agree with your unsubstantiated "1 in 10" nor would my brother who is a GM mechanic (29 years) and sees the results more than the average person would, it is still that "1" that concerns me.

Again, that is just my opinion.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Ahem...

Perhaps this thread would be best served if each person with experience and a system that works for them post their write-up listing the process used and before and after pictures that include the products used and the steps that are to be followed.

One thing we have to be careful of is that we don't want someone reading forum member's recommendations on how to work clean an alternator, then follow the suggestions and if something goes wrong, blame Meguiar's.

This discussion forum is focused on multiple dimensions of car detailing but once we get into a specialized niche areas like cleaning and detailing alternators, it is beginning to cross a line and go into an area that is probably not best suited for the majority of forum members. Meguiar's does offer degreasers and cleaners for working under the hood, but alternators are is a very niche area that will more than likely be pretty far down the to-do list. For most people, there are plenty of other things to address including exterior and interior detailing that in and of themselves deserve ample amount of attention.

So let's keep the right perspective on this topic.

Thanks,

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I will probably just take it off and sand it. this thing is really bad. After that I might polish it. Can I polish with a dremel?

Comment

I would!

Dear Mustangless,
                you will probably be ok using a dremel. Make sure you use enough polish so it dosen't burn through to quickly and keep the speed between 15,000-20,000 RPMS.I dont know of many alternators that are chrome, because if it isn't you could use a cleaner and a rag. If you have scratches you might want to use a mild compound and then finish with Meguiars metal polish! Best of luck Jeff!!
                JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Following Mike's suggestion, my procedure for cleaning my engine is as follows. This applies to a 1990 Toyota Celica GT with an inline 2.2L four-cylinder engine that had never previously been cleaned to my knowledge but wasn't in terrible shape. However, I only did the top half of the engine due to a persistent leak in the power steering fluid pump -- it's so slow I've been trying for years to get a bottle of stopleak into it, but power steering fluid makes an incredibly large mess with small amounts.

I should also note I have a major advantage in that the tap water in my region is collected from rain-fed rivers, meaning in a dust-free environment it dries spot-free.

Materials:
                  aluminum foil
                  Meguiar's Extra cleaner
                  Shop rags
                  long-handled scrubbing brush
                  toothbrush
                  wire brush
                  Silvo metal polish
                  Mother's Back-to-Black
                  Black Magic anti-static dashboard protectant
                  cloth diapers
                  bandaids

Steps:
                  Covered the alternator, fuse boxes, alarm computer, and sparkplugs with foil completely. Draped foil over the distributor as best I could. The stock air intake in my Celica is actually a CAI, so it didn't need covering.

Ran the engine for about five minutes, let it get to the point where I could still put my hand on it.

Lightly rinsed the engine with a spray from the hose, then scrubbed at the more disgusting areas with the long-handled brush to loosen the grime. Rinsed again, gave the engine a quick scrub, then liberally sprayed the compartment with Extra and let it soak for 10 minutes.

From there it was elbow grease and banged-up knuckles, scrubbing at stuck-on grime with either the scrub brush or the toothbrush, depending on how tight the crevice was. Discovered how effective Extra remains, even when the brush is black. For lightly soiled areas, used a shop rag wet with Extra to wipe down, including the various hoses and plastic covers.

Lightly rinsed the compartment with the garden hose again, then used the shop rags to wipe it down, particularly concentrating on areas where water could pool.

Unwrapped the covered pieces and went at them with a shop rag, again wet with Extra, then wiped them down with a water-damp rag to rinse. This was the safest method I could find to use on the alternator. The shop rags are rough-textured for some cleaning power, but won't sling droplets like a brush.

Wire brush was used on certain aluminum or iron parts to deal with rust, then Silvo applied with a shop rag to smooth and protect. Three months later, the aluminum heat shield over the headers is still silky smooth. My alternator is painted, so a similar treatment could not be used on it, unfortunately, though I did lightly go over it with the wire brush during the Extra wipe-down.

Next step was treating all rubber and plastic with Mothers B2B on a cloth diaper -- though I kind of regret that now, knowing the long-term effects of B2B. Penultimate step was to dress all the rubber and plastic with Black Magic's anti-static dashboard protectant.

Finally, I went inside and bandaged the various gashes, scrapes and cuts I'd inflicted on my hands.

I know, I know -- pics. Digital camera wasn't working then, and it's being used by my sister now. I'll try to borrow one from work when I get the chance.
                  "The reason men call cars 'she' is so they have one female they can claim to understand"

Comment

As for the alternator specifically, my mechanic made a good point -- you're not cleaning the alternator, you're cleaning the cover. Whatever you do and whatever you use should not go past the cover.

If you do take a dremel or sandpaper to it, make sure you vacuum it well afterwards to remove dust that's made its way inside the alternator.
                    "The reason men call cars 'she' is so they have one female they can claim to understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                      Just to chime in here, Tim's dead on when he says,

I plan on uploading the pictures and finishing the write-up for the Engine Detailing How-To this week. Hopefully this will provide some direction as to how to work safely when detailing engine compartments.

Mike
                      Mike please help!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Diamond
                        HMMMMM
                        Alternator+WD40+RubberBelt+Water= NOT!
                        Yeah, that sounds risky!

Comment

Re: how to clean alternator

This is just a guess, but how about brake clean. Maybe just a light spraying.

Comment

Re: Ok

Originally posted by Jeff Burrows View Post
                            Look we all have our oppinions on this engine cleaning thing. I think that you be safe on anything from 1990 and up or a really old 50's or 60's. There should be caution in our steps and only 1 out of 10 times will somthing mess up seriously. I several methods and products to cleaning an engine and all the years I have cleaned engines I have never had a problem.
                            Have to agree, I have power washed all my engines at the local car wash for years and have not had 1 alternator fail or anything on the engine for that matter, 83 Silverado,2000 Blazer,08 Malibu, all have been washed with no problems, todays engines and electronics are all weather sealed for your protection and are not as delicate as you would think

Comment

What is the best way to clean an alternator? Mine has serious grime on it, and some debris in the vents (are they vents?). Ideally I'd like to get it clean enough to paint - can you paint these?
                              Where abouts do you live? Take it apart and take it somewhere have it bead blasted. I have a blast cabinet but my new compressor will not be here until Feb 1st. I bought my new Kobalt 60 gallon compressor from Lowes on sale two days before Christmas. It was out of stock when the sale was on but I paid for it ahead of time. They said I could pick up January 14th. Jan 14 came and no compressor. So I'm on hold again until Feb 1st when Coleman compressors decide to send it to Lowes. I could bead blast this thing in two minutes in my cabinet. Yah got any neighbors with a bead blaster?

Comment

I say this with extreme caution!

I used to spray the alternator with etching wheel cleaner (acid, probably like Wheel Brightner) and scrub where I could with a brush and gently rinsed it.

My theory is, water splashes up in the engine bay all the time and if they aren't meant to be water proof, then the engine bay should be water proof!

But, I do this on a rare occasion if they are bad and I usually just give a gentle blast at the coin op (no trigger, just the water running out usually does the trick).

But disclaimer......you could do damage!
                                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');