• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to clean alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clean alternator

is there a way to clean this? Mine is looking really bad and so does under my hood. I was thnking about just trying simple green and water. Can I clean that the same way?

You might try some of Meg. extra cleaner and a towel and proceed very cautiously. It has been my experience that Liquid + Alternator = Death.

Comment

I wouldn't touch that thing with a cleaner or direct water pressure... Lol! I think Lt1corvette is right about the alternator's death.. Hehehe! What I do is cover it with aluminum foil when I was the engine but a lot of people don't do this because they think it's unnecessary. Just don't spray direct water into the alternator and maybe you'll be fine.. As far as cleaning it to make it complete, maybe you could just wipe it off with a damp rag?
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I think bri has a better approach. 23 strait hours of work is catching up to me.

The quote:
        Liquid + Alternator = Death was modified from something we have up in the Photography lab.
        Hairdryer + Water = Death. You don't want to know how that came to be up there. Lets just say it involved a lot of paper work for the teacher

Comment

Tought to clean, but to polish, some metal polish and a Dremel may help. Did a good job for me.
          my product collection-- New !
          My Detailing Credo
          Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

SPRAY THE ALTENATOR BEFORE AND AFTER WITH SOME WD40 AND YOULL BE FINE

Comment

We put a chrome one on the Caddy so all I have to do is give it a wipe with just about any cleaner or mist & wipe.

You could always try using some parts cleaning solvent like Stoddard solvent with a toothbrush to loosen dirt and grime, then wiping with a cotton towel to absorb the loosened grime.

Remember safety first and always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection. Some cleaning chemicals are dangerous and can be absorbed through your skin. The same goes for your eyes, anytime you work with something that could cause an eye injury you should wear safety glasses.

My little sister is blind, take my word for it, safety glasses are important for the protection of your eyes even when doing simple things like cleaning your alternator. (Think how hard it would be to clean without your sight?)

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

HMMMMM
                Alternator+WD40+RubberBelt+Water= NOT!
                "Meguiar's, Im back home Again, and plan to Stay!".
                They call me "Blue"

Comment

Well, if you don't want to work too hard to clean it...

Comment

I've a machine I've used on mine and a number of other people's engines. It's a very low water output steam machine. I know most if not all will think STEAM!? but believe me it works. Without damaging the alternator or other sensitive parts. I've seen it used to clean electronic equipment. Scared the KAKA out of me when I saw them do it but it also made me a believer. I've been detailing with it for a few years now.

I believe Mike has seen this machine demonstrated. If not, I know for certain that Jason at Meguiars has.

Unfortunately, it's not feasible to purchase it just for weekend/hobbyist use. So, my suggestion is remove as much gunk as you can by 'scraping' away with something that will not mar or scratch. Then, spraying a towel or by carefully spraying around it, clean it by hand.

Once it's clean, I recommend that you wipe down under hood after every wash to prevent build up.

Here's a recent engine 'clean'ing I did. This was done with the steam machine. Photo was taken after cleaning and prior to detailing.

Last edited by everglo; Nov 9, 2004, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Hi everglo,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Mike Phillips
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I guess i figured most of the wingnuts like me on these forums would be intelligent enough to avoid spraying wd40 on the belt. another thing you could try is this plastic spray stuff i saw for ignition components at oreillys

Comment

I think you be safe cleaning the alternator. My persanol experiance has been with 2500 PSI washer in my Truck and 99' expedition I have ruined or huurt anything. There is a risk in every thing I like the the WD-40 Methid and I think it works well!
                          Jeff
                          JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

See now theres an engine guy thanks for backing up my wd40 idea jeff

Comment

I have been using WD-40 for a while and I think it works great. I had a tpyo though, I meant I have not hurt the alternator! sorry.
                              JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');