Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: how to clean alternator

Registered Member

Question how to clean alternator

is there a way to clean this? Mine is looking really bad and so does under my hood. I was thnking about just trying simple green and water. Can I clean that the same way?

You might try some of Meg. extra cleaner and a towel and proceed very cautiously. It has been my experience that Liquid + Alternator = Death.

I wouldn't touch that thing with a cleaner or direct water pressure... Lol! I think Lt1corvette is right about the alternator's death.. Hehehe! What I do is cover it with aluminum foil when I was the engine but a lot of people don't do this because they think it's unnecessary. Just don't spray direct water into the alternator and maybe you'll be fine.. As far as cleaning it to make it complete, maybe you could just wipe it off with a damp rag?
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

I think bri has a better approach. 23 strait hours of work is catching up to me.

The quote:
    Liquid + Alternator = Death was modified from something we have up in the Photography lab.
    Hairdryer + Water = Death. You don't want to know how that came to be up there. Lets just say it involved a lot of paper work for the teacher

Tought to clean, but to polish, some metal polish and a Dremel may help. Did a good job for me.
    my product collection-- New !
    My Detailing Credo
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Self-Banned
    SPRAY THE ALTENATOR BEFORE AND AFTER WITH SOME WD40 AND YOULL BE FINE

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    We put a chrome one on the Caddy so all I have to do is give it a wipe with just about any cleaner or mist & wipe.

You could always try using some parts cleaning solvent like Stoddard solvent with a toothbrush to loosen dirt and grime, then wiping with a cotton towel to absorb the loosened grime.

Remember safety first and always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection. Some cleaning chemicals are dangerous and can be absorbed through your skin. The same goes for your eyes, anytime you work with something that could cause an eye injury you should wear safety glasses.

My little sister is blind, take my word for it, safety glasses are important for the protection of your eyes even when doing simple things like cleaning your alternator. (Think how hard it would be to clean without your sight?)

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Registered Member Black Diamond's Avatar
    HMMMMM
    Alternator+WD40+RubberBelt+Water= NOT!
    "Meguiar's, Im back home Again, and plan to Stay!".
    They call me "Blue"

Well, if you don't want to work too hard to clean it...

I've a machine I've used on mine and a number of other people's engines. It's a very low water output steam machine. I know most if not all will think STEAM!? but believe me it works. Without damaging the alternator or other sensitive parts. I've seen it used to clean electronic equipment. Scared the KAKA out of me when I saw them do it but it also made me a believer. I've been detailing with it for a few years now.

I believe Mike has seen this machine demonstrated. If not, I know for certain that Jason at Meguiars has.

Unfortunately, it's not feasible to purchase it just for weekend/hobbyist use. So, my suggestion is remove as much gunk as you can by 'scraping' away with something that will not mar or scratch. Then, spraying a towel or by carefully spraying around it, clean it by hand.

Once it's clean, I recommend that you wipe down under hood after every wash to prevent build up.

Here's a recent engine 'clean'ing I did. This was done with the steam machine. Photo was taken after cleaning and prior to detailing.

Last edited by everglo; Nov 9th, 2004 at 08:17 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information