• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring single-stage paint with M07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring single-stage paint with M07

Recently, in the breakroom section of this forum, I read the article written by Autogeek’s Mike Phillips on restoring single-stage paint with Meg’s #7 Show Car Glaze.
    My first article published on AutoTraderClassic.com - Using M07 To Restore Paint
    I’ve been a fan of this product for over 35 years, but never realized all of its potential until I tried Mike’s recommendations. My subject vehicle was my ’87 El Camino that I’ve owned for 17 years (see avatar). After it emerged from yearly winter hibernation, my normal spring routine was a clay job, then an application of #7, followed by multiple applications of NXT, Collinite 845, Mother’s, Meguiars #16 or Classic Slipstream thru the summer. Last year I drove it almost daily through the spring and summer, so it saw more exposure to the sun in one year than in the past 15 years all together. Despite numerous polishing and waxing, the silver paint on the horizontal surface of the roof had turned dead flat, seemingly with no chance of restoring any gloss.
    Back in storage over the winter, I tried every compound, glaze, polish and wax on my well-stocked shelves, as well as anything we had in stock at the Chevy dealer where I work, all to no avail. When I read Mike’s article, I decided I had nothing to lose but some time and sweat, since I had plenty of M07 on hand. Following the published procedure, I aggressively worked in one very heavy application of M07 and let it soak in for 24 hours. Five more applications followed, until it seemed like the paint would no longer absorb any product, so it was time for some machine work. Having neither M80 nor an orbital polisher at hand, I used my rotary buffer and some M03 Machine Glaze. Check the photos below for the before and after. My driveway has overhanging trees all around, so a clear pic was not possible, but the reflections of the trees in the paint serve to illustrate the side-to-side difference even more, despite my lack of photographic ability.
    fficeffice" />

Bottom line-thanks to Mike’s advice and Meguiar’s M07 I was able to restore a panel that I previously considered to be beyond hope. It’s far from perfect, but now I have the motivation to experiment and make it even better. Thanks again, Mike!

Bill

Re: Restoring single-stage paint with M07

Pics didn't show, so I'll try again.

Bill

Comment

Very nice job!
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Thanks for reminding me of Mike's article. It's long and I intended to read it when I had time.

I'm in the process of restoring my 1980 Camaro with single stage paint. The red is faded to pink in places. Hopefully this article helps point me in the right direction. I wasn't planning on using M07.

Comment

If working on by machine, I highly recommend using M80 because it encompasses both the polishing oils and diminishing abrasives to cut the oxidation and absorb into the paint. Also, a little goes a LONG way with M80, I have yet to put even a substantial dent in my gallon.
          James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
          Calais Auto Detailing
          CalaisDetails@aim.com
          www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
            If working on by machine, I highly recommend using M80 because it encompasses both the polishing oils and diminishing abrasives to cut the oxidation and absorb into the paint. Also, a little goes a LONG way with M80, I have yet to put even a substantial dent in my gallon.
            I just spent the last 20 minutes reading the article. Based on the article, I don't think I need to use anything abrasive. I'll probably try one bottle of M07 and see what I think. I'd like to gain experience with the full Meguair's product line anyhow. If it's not enough I'll move up. First I'll try the terry towel, then likely the DA with a polishing pad. If it's not enough I'll move up to something like M80. I don't have much paint to work with, thanks Calais.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
              I just spent the last 20 minutes reading the article. Based on the article, I don't think I need to use anything abrasive. I'll probably try one bottle of M07 and see what I think. I'd like to gain experience with the full Meguair's product line anyhow. If it's not enough I'll move up. First I'll try the terry towel, then likely the DA with a polishing pad. If it's not enough I'll move up to something like M80. I don't have much paint to work with, thanks Calais.
              What color are you working on? If it is metallic or white, you will deffinitely need something abrasive and probably aggressive at that. To get some serious work done on my single-stage metallic red paintjob I used M105 on a cutting pad followed by 105 on a polishing and 205 on a finishing, metallic takes some work.
              James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
              Calais Auto Detailing
              CalaisDetails@aim.com
              www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

What color are you working on?

Red and black. The entire car from factory is painted red and then the black is applied on top. Somebody took a rotary to this car in the past (it's only been polished once - thank goodness).

As you can see in the shots the black is thin to non existent in areas. I have to be very careful with the black paint.

Comment

The uniqueness of this process, accomplishing major improvement without aggressive abrasive is what stirred my curiosity enough to give it a try. I've been in new and used car biz for a long time. The typical process is to first use an abrasive to remove oxidized paint, scratches and haze, then a swirl remover, glaze or polish, then a wax as the LSP. I've tried all that over the past year without success on the same silver roof panel. 3M Compound, 3M Finesse-it, M04 Hand Compound, Troubleshooter, Haze-Away, Smart Compound and a bunch more I can't remember all were ineffective. The paint just sucked up the material with little or no improvement. Look at the "before" side. That's all the above plus over a dozen different glazes and waxes.
                  Mike's idea here was apparently to polish and "feed" the dry paint with a heavy concentration of Meg's oil-rich #7, then use a mild abrasive polish as the second-last step, followed by the LSP. I don't know any of the chemistry behind the process, but I do know that my roof hasn't looked this good in over 10 years. Only the passage of time will tell if the long-term results are worth the substantial grease expended. But until proven otherwise this will remain as my go-to process on old lacquer.

Bill

Comment

Well I can tell you that about 5 minutes ago, I just finished giving the red/black 1980 Camaro a quick wipe with M07 on a microfiber. It was like watching a chubby kid drink a Big Gulp. Man oh man... did the paint ever **** up the polish. I'm going to go over it again tomorrow with the polisher and M07, wait a couple days and see how it looks... then decide if I'm going to use anything abrasive.

I'm impressed. My hands are moisturized too

Comment

Agreed, Mike Stoops recommended M80/M83 Combo when paints are too dry where M105/M205 may have issues.

I love my #7 Glaze, got some spectacular pics from it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackScreaminMachine View Post
                        Agreed, Mike Stoops recommended M80/M83 Combo when paints are too dry where M105/M205 may have issues.

I love my #7 Glaze, got some spectacular pics from it.
                        I am getting ready to do the paint on my 1978 c10 cordova brown(metallic) and buckskin. I am going to do the M7 pre soak then planned to use M105/M205 with an orange and white foam pad and torq 10fx. Is the M80/M83 better to use on the older single stage?

Comment

Depends on your goal, but M83/M80 do wonders on single stage paint. Especially M80 due to the oils it contains.

Comment

Unfortunately, M80 is no longer available. If you can find some on the shelf of a supplier, buy it, as its composition suits single-stage paints so well. I've tried some of the modern Meguiar's compounds on old paint and I'd recommend trying M205 and Ultimate Compound, in that order. Older S-S paints are not nearly as tough as modern clearcoat finishes and they're not as thick as modern finishes, as there's only a single layer of paint and the film thickness has been reduced over the years by oxidation and previous polishing. It's too easy to polish right through the color and expose the primer, so the "try the least aggressive method first" principle definitely applies here.

Bill

Comment

I guess I read it thinking he had some M80. Good point.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');