• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Kit Meguiar's Should Put Out - Headlight Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Kit Meguiar's Should Put Out - Headlight Restoration

I recently started getting "serious" about detailing. Mostly I've done my cars, family, friends, etc. Never really charged much, usually just some McDonalds, some beer or Mt. Dew. Big details required Pizza Hut. However, I'm tired of working for someone else and I've decided to pursue my "passion" rather than working some normal job. I'm still in school, but since I'm collecting the GI Bill and it's enough to pay the bills, I'm trying to get some details to help fund extra tools, gear and expand what I can do. (Right now I'm stuffing the piggy bank for a carpet extractor. Tired of renting Rug Doctors.)

With that said, I wanted to piece together a "Professional Kit". I was browsing some local detailing websites and came across 3M's Professional Kit. But, that requires an air compressor, of which I don't have. I searched for other kits and came across Meguiar's Professional Headlight and Spot Repair Kit earlier this year. Again, it requires air tools. Then I realized...waaaaaaaaaaait a minute, that's nothing but a DA and Rotary................which I have! So, I pieced together pretty much the same kit, but to use it with my PC and Harbor Freight Special (also something I want to upgrade...but it gets the job done!).

Anyways, here's some photos and a video of my first trial with the new "kit" I put together. Something I WISH Meguiar's would offer to those that don't have or feel the need to have air compressors. That way I could get the extra's like a bag, apron and other stuff I don't need...but matches .

(Note: I ordered 500 and 800 grit disc's, but AutoGeek has them backordered right now. I figured I could just use some extra 3M discs I had lying around...but go figure, they don't attach to Meguiars backing pads. So, I used what else I had lying around.)

BEFORE

AFTER

And here's a link to the video. If it doesn't work, just look for my username: badquenga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWemN0rqgY

Re: A Kit Meguiar's Should Put Out - Headlight Restoration

Nice work Quenga... great job!

Meguiar's does have an inexpensive consumer kit G1900K, which consists of PlastX along with a buff pad that attaches to a drill. Of course it is nowhere near the level that you went through.

It would be nice to see a kit made for the DA polisher. I think it would sell well. Do you feel the rotary is necessary or just nice to use?

Comment

Headlight looks great. As Bill mentioned there is a consumer version for your drill.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Meguiar's also has a "pro kit" for it: http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pro-headlight-kit.html

Really, all you need is varying degrees of abrasive sand paper.
        M105 and M205 (also PlastX for light issues)
        And 4" Pads (I suggest 4" Yellow and 4" Orange)

Bam, you've got your complete headlight restoration kit.
        Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
        Houston Area Mobile Detailing
        www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Just using wash, clay, and then PlastX on a 4" orange pad with my PC I did this:

Before:

After:

Had I sanded it it would've come out perfect, but I was doing it for free, so I just did a quick touchup on the headlights for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post

Meguiar's does have an inexpensive consumer kit G1900K, which consists of PlastX along with a buff pad that attaches to a drill. Of course it is nowhere near the level that you went through.

It would be nice to see a kit made for the DA polisher. I think it would sell well. Do you feel the rotary is necessary or just nice to use?
            Yeah, I know about the consumer kit...and I honestly think it's junk. For a much cheaper price, you can get the 3M kit, which sands, and does a better job. But, this post wasn't to address a "consumer level" kit, so we'll leave it at that.

It was to address the "Professional Detailer", that doesn't own or feel the need to own an air compressor. From the way I've seen Meguiars Pro Kit marketed, I get the feeling it's mainly for body shops, mechanic shops and maybe people that do stuff like tinting, windshield repair or PDR. Someone who isn't a straight detailer, because most would already have spot pads, backing plates, compounds/polishes. I've never needed an air compressor and I don't ever see myself needing one if all I'm doing is detailing.

If I ever had a good idea for a company that already has great idea's, I would just address this "gap" I believe is in the market. Most detailers will have everything in this kit already. Really, all I did is get small pads and sanding discs. Most pro's have spot pads...so, even at that...it's just sanding disc's. Beyond that, I think Headlight Restoration is beginning to become it's own business. I never saw so many ads for headlight repair until recently. I've even seen companies that only do headlight restorations. Right now, all I offer is headlight restorations! I tried doing details, but I'm a full-time student and I used to work full-time. Even now that I work part-time, I don't have the time to do large details. However, this has proven to be a good way to make $30-50 profit and still work out of the trunk of my BMW M3!

I still think it would be a great kit to offer. It would give me an excuse to buy a kit with everything I needed in one shot...and get extra's like a bag, apron and............a wall banner maybe? Haha.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
            Headlight looks great. As Bill mentioned there is a consumer version for your drill.
            Yep, bought it...not worth it. Nor do I think anyone would pay me $50-$60 a set if all I did was show up with a drill and some PlastX.

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
            Meguiar's also has a "pro kit" for it: http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pro-headlight-kit.html

Really, all you need is varying degrees of abrasive sand paper.
            M105 and M205 (also PlastX for light issues)
            And 4" Pads (I suggest 4" Yellow and 4" Orange)

Bam, you've got your complete headlight restoration kit.
            Hmm. I'm not sure you read my post man, haha. I did refer to Meg's Pro Kit, and I also stated the reason I don't feel the urge to buy it either. Read my response to the first quote.

This is merely a suggestion. I FEEL as if there is a gap in what Meguiar's offers. You have the cheap consumer kit (which, is overpriced when other kits do much better jobs) and then you have the "Professional" kit, which I don't BELIEVE is made for straight detailers. Especially those of us who are 100% mobile unless you count the occasional home garage detail. Like I said above, I think headlight resto is becoming it own business, I work out of a sports car's trunk and I don't need to own an a/c. But, I also work at a furniture store, I do details on the side and I have no experience at Meguiar's corporate world. Maybe they already studied this and found it useless. Maybe they didn't? All I know is, no one would pay me if I showed up with a "consumer" kit and nobody I know that details, carries an a/c with them or even cares to buy extra tools. I mean, most detailers have spot pads. All I really added to make this kit was 3" pads and 3" sanding discs.

With that said...I'd probably STILL buy a kit if they sold it, just to get a deal on everything and get a matching bag .

Comment

You're right, I missed that you commented about the Pro Kit that they offer. Sorry about that

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post

I forgot to answer your question about the rotary. Horrible idea this forum has only allowing you 5 minutes to edit posts...

I like using the rotary. I think it works faster and better...especially with M105/M205. I can never get the same results, as fast as I do, with the PC. For only $35 (with coupon, or online), you can get the HF buffer. Add a couple bucks for a small backing plate, and you're set. With 3" pads, the rotary was not hard to use at all...like it can be with larger pads.

I also don't care for the PC on vertical panels. It never seems to have enough power to keep rotating...especially when you're on level 3 while sanding.

Comment

You mean something like this?

Meguiar's Headlight and Spot Repair Kit - No Tools

This is the professional kit with no air tools. Your wish has been answered.

Colin
                  A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                    You mean something like this?

Meguiar's Headlight and Spot Repair Kit - No Tools

This is the professional kit with no air tools. Your wish has been answered.

Colin
                    Oh My Goodness! Well, they need to market this kit better! Haha. ****, I almost spent that much piecing together this kit...and I already had M105/205, tape, etc. I'm so stoked right now (although...I would never see myself paying $299 for that kit, it can be pieced together for cheaper). But, at $169...whaaaaaaaaaat. My wife is already telling me no, haha.

Thanks for that link. I search for so long. I never thought of typing, "no tools". Hahaha.

Comment

After searching a little more, they definitely need to market this better. One, I can't find another place that sells this kit (okay, maybe 1 or 2, but not cheap enough). And, even on that website, I can't find the "link" that goes to that page. Under headlight resto, clear plastic, etc...all those links don't go to a "no tools" kit. I can't even find it on Meguiars website! I've been on that website before, I've watched those videos..................but, I never watched the last few seconds that show a no tools kit. That's what I get! However, after I get a few more jobs...I'm all over that kit. Thanks again!

Comment

No problem. I only knew about it because I've been thinking about getting it. I don't have a compressor large enough to run the air tools so I thought this would be a great alternative.

Colin
                        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');