• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

washing harms asphalt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: washing harms asphalt??

THANK YOU ALL for the info and knowledge.

I recieved a letter from Meguairs that the soaps do not harm the environment, will not harm the asphalt.

I printed the link from the San Clemente website stating that the city allows individual car washing.

I presented BOTH pieces of information to the President of the Board last week at a Board Meeting. He REFUSED to discuss or look at the letters.

I told him that his printed matter were lies and misinformation to the Community and he needed to retract in writing what was in the original newsletter. He refused to do that also.

Today he approached me and stated that the water from car washing WITHOUT any soaps/detergent is still bad for the asphalt.
    Water on the asphalt from the sprinklers/car washing was bad and leads to the deterioration of the asphalt road.

He is convinced he is right, and he is going to save the Community and the road.

I pointed out that it is NOT in the Associations CC&R's, nor in the Rules and Regulations.

He then stated that he is going to spend hundreds of dollars of the Association's money (that we do not have) and put in a dedicated spot for car washing. The Assocaition will also lose one of the dedicated parking spots as a result, rip out vegetation and cut out a concrete curb to make that happen.

Common sense tells me that this is not the way to go.

I printed Asphalt_Pro's last paragraph and will hand it to him today.

IF anyone can show me where to find in writing that the water will not harm the asphalt, please help!!
    Ray Crawford
    R Gruppe
    Early 911 S Registry

Comment

Ray,

I can't believe your Association Prez is so persistent in preventing car washing in your development! (Did he have a bad experience with a detailer or what??).

Here's a link to the website: Asphalt - the Sustainable Pavement: http://www.pavegreen.com/water_quality.asp
      - There's a quote in the page stating "Drinking water reservoirs are often lined with asphalt. Asphalt cement is also used to line water pipes that supply potable water to humans."

BTW - I just noticed you belong to R Gruppe - do you ever go to Cars & Coffee?
      Andy W.
      Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
      Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Well that's San Clemente HOA's for you!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
        Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Not being a member of a HOA, what can they do to you should you choose to ignore them and wash your car anyway?
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
            Not being a member of a HOA, what can they do to you should you choose to ignore them and wash your car anyway?
            If the rule they're trying to enforce isn't legally adopted into their covenants or other charter the answer is simple - NOTHING.

They have a few options if they do have it in their legally recorded document ranging from a warning letter, fines each time you break the rule or daily depending on the violation to eventually liens against the property or a lawsuit.

The other part of this is that the documents have to be recorded (with the county clerk in Indiana not sure in Cali) and be made available to each property owner of the association. Owners typically then have to inform renting tenants.

Time for the OP to get to know the other members of the board of directors of the association and make his case. Get other neighbors involved too if they don't have a problem with your activity. The president can't act as a party of one and make unilateral decisions most likely - typically majority rules and may require a vote of all members to change the rules and covenants. Attend any open meeting that your association holds - probably have to have at least one general meeting a year and open board meetings to the members unless they are discussing financial or personal matters related to one resident.

Is there a management company that handles the day to day business of the association? If so, talk to the company's rep for your group and get his/her take on the situation and what you can do.

My guess is that the president has little man syndrome, is retired, likes to feel more important than he really is, and has a lot of spare time on his hands to find ways to screw up community peace and tranquility.

To the OP, good luck with this. Hope you're successful.

Comment

Wow your HOA president sounds alot like my boss in the sense that they are dead set in their rules and ways and won't bend for squat!

This is the reason I won't even think about considering joining an HOA once I start house hunting in a few years. I fought for my right to wash my car in my driveway that I pay for and no one else and dang if someone tells me I can't because it's an "eyesore" or "enviromentally" harmful!

Sorry to hear the perdicament that your in, best bet is what a few have already said, try hitting up a co-op touchless wash, bring her home and do an undercover detail (ONR, QD, UQD....whatever you need to do) in the garage
              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

I wonder what the HOA President thinks about rain? Does he have a massive umbrella to protect the asphalt from rain, too?

I say take it to the next level and demand PROOF that it will cause damage, otherwise consider ignoring the ruling and washing it anyway. If they attempt to take action, counter-sue and prove that you aren't harming anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  I wonder what the HOA President thinks about rain? Does he have a massive umbrella to protect the asphalt from rain, too?

I say take it to the next level and demand PROOF that it will cause damage, otherwise consider ignoring the ruling and washing it anyway. If they attempt to take action, counter-sue and prove that you aren't harming anything.
                  I was just going to ask this same question.

Comment

HOA's are the devil.
                    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                      They do not have any real proof. The asphalt was resealed approx. 5 years ago by a company with a F rating. He points to the lousy road, with lousy reseal job and says the water from washing and sprinklers is causing it.

I point out the lousy road in general is deteriorating on its own, multiplied by the lousy reseal job.

The thing is, DIRECTLY in front of my garage, the asphalt is better than anyone's in the complex.

I reread the CC&R's and the Rules and Regulations, NOWHERE does it state that car washing is not allowed.
                      Ray Crawford
                      R Gruppe
                      Early 911 S Registry

Comment

Do like I do I wash the car on my lawn, all the run off waters my grass.
                        Bill Strobel
                        aka theamcguy
                        Owner Independent Towing
                        Fayetteville, NC
                        Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Comment

Originally posted by rc70scoupe View Post
                          Today he approached me and stated that the water from car washing WITHOUT any soaps/detergent is still bad for the asphalt.
                          Water on the asphalt from the sprinklers/car washing was bad and leads to the deterioration of the asphalt road.
                          I don't believe that but hard water is very damaging.

You should point out to him, however, that car was soap contains water softening agents, which actually would make it better for the asphalt.

This would make ONR even more appealing. It's really good at improving hard water

Comment

Hard water interaction with Asphalt

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                            I don't believe that but hard water is very damaging.

You should point out to him, however, that car was soap contains water softening agents, which actually would make it better for the asphalt.

This would make ONR even more appealing. It's really good at improving hard water
                            xantonin - I'm interested in learning about how hard water affects asphalt - please provide more info....
                            Andy W.
                            Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                            Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

I'd ask the HOA for proof of such claims, and why it's only the asphalt there that's affects and not everywhere else on earth.
                              AeroCleanse, LLC
                              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Re: Hard water interaction with Asphalt

Originally posted by bmrfan View Post
                                xantonin - I'm interested in learning about how hard water affects asphalt - please provide more info....
                                Sorry I really don't know if it damages asphalt. I just know it damages paint!

I left my car under some sprinklers for one night here in Arizona, and the next morning after I drove home I already had bad water etchings in my paint

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');