• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any "Good" Car Covers that Prevent Hail Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any "Good" Car Covers that Prevent Hail Damage?

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching the internet the last week for a "good and tested" car cover that can withstand hail and high wind. Does anyone have any recommendations? And yes, I do realize that the garage is the best place, however, my other cars are occupying that space. Since I am in the Dallas area, we get hail quite often during the year!

Since I have been utilizing Meguiar's products the last several years, I thought this would be a great place to ask that question to other car enthusiasts!

I wish Mequiar's would manufacturer such a product!

Thanks for any answers!

Re: Are there any "Good" Car Covers that Prevent Hail Damage?

Depends what size hail I guess.

I have a 3-layer one from Covercraft, and can tell it is a little thicker.

I think they make (or at least made) a 4-layer one. Would be even better I guess.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

After living in Denver for several years I can tell you this: Nothing short of 3/4" plywood is going to stop 1" or larger hail. We even had a couple of storms that took out roofs, but they were rare, thankfully.

Maybe try a portable garage, the tent style they sell at buyers clubs and Home improvement centers. Short of that maybe a dozen self inflating 2" camping mats under a car cover to take the hit.

Something has to absorb the energy behind the hail and I don't think there's a cover that will do that on it's own.
      Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I think it might minimize the damage. But to prevent it, not so sure.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just got caught in a hailstorm while camping. Threw thick sleeping bags over the roof and hood. Still $1000 damage. Quarter size hail. *Lots* of very small dings. 1 -2 days work by a very good PDR tech will take care of it -- thank goodness. I don't think that a cover is going to do it.

Tom

Comment

But this might work sort of "...Short of that maybe a dozen self inflating 2" camping mats under a car cover to take the hit...." I may just try this on my next camping trip. Sometimes you can find the self inflating mats pretty cheap.

Tom

Comment

Could buy one of those soft indoor covers, layer with heavy blankets, then a larger outdoor cover....
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have seen "softball" sized hail.

Yes...Softball.

Comment

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but it really depends in the size of the hail.

Small hail, dime size:

If the car is just sitting outside then cover it with a dense foam pad then cover the car with a high quality exterior car cover.

Large hail, quarter size and up:

Parking garage or underground bunker....
                  BobbyG

Comment

The asnwer is yes. A company called ACMENTERPRISES in Greenfield Indiana makes a really good hail resistant one.
                    I bought one for 189.00 and we just had some bad storms come thru...no hail but tree branch fell on my truck and it didnt dent it.
                    They have a youtube video where the guy slams golf balls and a softball onto the cover and then shows the hood and theres no damage. The video is hail storm auto cover on youtube. I thought for sure there would be a big dent on that guys truck but there wasnt. Check it out, hope this helped

Comment

just told another person about the cover I bought. checkout a video on youtube called hail storm auto cover. I bought one and its pretty good.It cost me 189.00 and fits my crew cab, the place i bought it from is acmenterprises. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');