• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried waxing a car but left streaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried waxing a car but left streaks?

I tried waxing a car today with NXT Tech Wax 2.0 with the purple pad it comes with. First i washed the car good and then clay bar'd it. Then i put the wax on, a thin coat.. let it dry for about 15 - 20 mins. I goto use a micro fiber towel to wipe it off, and it looked like it left streaks/ weird filmy looking stuff and i couldnt get it off?

any idea's what I did wrong or what it could be?
    sorry didnt get to take pics..

Re: Tried waxing a car but left streaks?

Did you do the swipe test? - swipe a waxed section with your finger... If the swipe is clear e.g. no smearing or streaking, then your safe to remove the wax. If the wax isn't done drying, it can cause the finish to streak or haze.
    "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

Go back over the finish with a fresh micro fiber, and the streaks should be 100% gone.

Comment

Probably applied too thick, didnt dry enough.

The paint may have need more prep as well to aid with the application/removal.

Short of starting over, you can try a QD and wipe down, you can try a second coat of wax, or you can try washing.

Nothing permanent, just annoying too look at.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

yeah it is really annoying lol i did try a new towel didnt help at all. and i didnt do the swipe test i forgot lol

Comment

I get that alot with #21, uqw, and nxt.

Comment

yeah, we must be doin something wrong.. prob not letting it dry long enough or to heavy of a coat.. but this one i did real thin.. ???

Comment

I know that Meguiar's officially recommends 15-20 minutes dry time for NXT before buffing, but more than a few people, as evidenced in this forum, do encounter problems like these if they remain within this time limit. On the other hand, those who apply thin coats and allow 30-45 minutes drying time before buffing off do not seem to have any problems with streaking.

I think the lesson is: let the wax dry well!
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

I think the 2.0 products take a little longer to dry.

However, with UQW, if you can see it, its pretty much too thick and will be harder to remove.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Go back over it with quick detailer and a micro fiber. That should take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Go back over it with quick detailer and a micro fiber. That should take care of it.
                      Yeah I did that. still there.. kinda weird.. I'll just rewash it and try again.

Comment

As already mentioned, wax it again. Another thin layer of wax should pick up the residue when used accordingly.

Comment

Always remember "like removes like" I am guessing also that you either put to heavy of a coat of wax on or you didn't let it dry long enough. Factors such as temp and humidity are also factors when it comes to using Meguiars products or anyone elses for that matter. I have had issues with thi "streaking" before and normally after a second wipe they are gone.

Andy
                          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post

"like removes like"

Comment

Did you shake the product vigorously before and during application?

Also sounds like applied to thick, and did not wait long enough for product to dry.

Apply thin second coat, do the swipe test, remove. Shake product well, before and during application.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');