• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie wit a Subie in Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie wit a Subie in Jersey

OK the last part doesn't rhyme; but, cut the newbie some slack.

Just bought a brand-spankin-new 2010 Subaru Forester Premium Blk/Blk and it's probably the first car I'm gonna keep for a long time. Since it's a keeper and has black paint, I really want to change my ways and maintain it the right way. My previous detailing experience consisted of automated carwashes every other week and full detail by a professional once a year. What I didn't like about this method were the swirls that were visible in the sun/florescent light and the bird dropping stains that would remain.

My goal is to maintain this car better than your average guy that washes his own car that may not be using the right product or technique. I'm hoping to accomplish this by hand washing the car myself every other week and to wax it 3-8 times per year. I'm thinkin this method will reduce or eliminate the swirls from automation and not having a protective coating of wax. Also, I realize I have to be more vigilant with attacking bird droppings when I see them and use the proper technique. I haven't determined how much I need or am willing to spend time on claying or polishing.

For me this is still only a daily driver and I want to find a happy balance between being thorough and being obsessed. I'd still rather spend any extra time doing something relating to family, golf, poker, basketball, tennis, fantasy football - not necessarily in that order
    2010 Subaru Forester 2.5x Prem - Obsidian Black
    2006 Lexus is250 AWD - Tungsten Pearl

Re: Newbie wit a Subie in Jersey

This is a good quick detail:

1. Wash - Gold Class, 2 buckets quality towels, sponges, etc.
    2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit - As needed, definately needed the first time.
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

Then once in a while, you can do a more full detail, more defect removal, etc:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - SwirlX, UC, etc as needed
    4. Polish - Optional - Deep Crystal Polish is easy to use.
    5. Wax - Nxt 2.0
    6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best

7. Maintain - After furture washes, UQW is a great product.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome to MOL!

Andy M.
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Foresters are sick, do you have the turbo model?

Comment

Thanks for saying that because this move from my bimmer made me feel like a "soccer dad." I did not get the turbo because I wanted this to be more of a budget car. I was even considering to get the base model; but, they sold me on the premium package. For add'l $2000 you get panoramic moon roof, alloy wheels, power seats, tinted glass & steering wheel controls for radio/cruise. I wouldn't call it sick but the subie is just a really good all around vehicle. My vehicle 2 cars ago, BMW X3 blk on blk w/ M-sport package & stick was sick! For 20k more though maybe not worth it.

Comment

Hey, I'm new to the board myself (not so much to detailing/Meguiars Products).

I also have a Subie (WRX) and live pretty close to you actually. We should meet up sometime, or you should come to the Saturday Night Chili's meets. Let me know if you want more info!

Comment

Which Chili's? What's the meet about? If it's anything like the meets I see at the Burger King on Rt20 or Hooters on Rt17, probably not my kind of thing. I'm not fanatical about cars right now. Recently got married, baby, house and in budget-mode. Don't wanna sweat cars or accessories I can't afford anyway. Plus, only little free time for the other hobbies.

Comment

OK. After reading this forum extensively, I went on a spree at my local Pep Boys and geared up for my first foray into handwashing & waxing our cars. My tools of insanity are as follows:

Gold Class Car Wash
                  Smooth Surface Kit (Clay, Quik Detailer, Supreme Shine MF, Cleaner Wax sampler)
                  SwirlX (They didn't have Deep Crystal Polish or ColorX)
                  Gold Class Paste Wax
                  Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (They didn't have Gold Class All Wheel)
                  Gold Class High Endurance Tire Dressing
                  Quik Interior Detailer
                  Invisible Glass Cleaner (They didn't have any Meguiar's glass cleaner)
                  Two Pep Boy 5gal buckets (They didn't have grit guards)
                  AutoSpa 3-in-1 MF Washmitt (parts MF strands, MF cloth, scrub for upper half)
                  Unknown 2-in-1 MF Washmitt (half MF strands/half scrub for lower half)
                  AutoSpa MF Supreme Dry Towels
                  AutoSpa MF 2 Sided Detailing Towel (for removing wax)
                  Peak MF Polishing Clothes (Keep in car w/ detailer for droppings/smudges)
                  Peak Gripper Terry Pads (applying SwirlX or wax if better than Gold Class pad)
                  Peak Gripper Terry Pads (applying tire dressing)

I'm going to do my first detailing on the new Forester and the 06 Lexus IS250 this week. If any questions arise, I'll be posting in Detailing101.

Comment

Gold Class Car Wash
                    Smooth Surface Kit (Clay, Quik Detailer, Supreme Shine MF, Cleaner Wax sampler)
                    SwirlX (They didn't have Deep Crystal Polish or ColorX) - SwirlX will be good, just do 2 coats of wax
                    Gold Class Paste Wax
                    Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (They didn't have Gold Class All Wheel) - Didnt like the Gold Class anyway
                    Gold Class High Endurance Tire Dressing
                    Quik Interior Detailer
                    Invisible Glass Cleaner (They didn't have any Meguiar's glass cleaner)
                    Two Pep Boy 5gal buckets (They didn't have grit guards) - Probably will have to order those online
                    AutoSpa 3-in-1 MF Washmitt (parts MF strands, MF cloth, scrub for upper half) - I wouldnt use the scrubbing parts. Gentle MF parts only for me
                    Unknown 2-in-1 MF Washmitt (half MF strands/half scrub for lower half) Same
                    AutoSpa MF Supreme Dry Towels
                    AutoSpa MF 2 Sided Detailing Towel (for removing wax)
                    Peak MF Polishing Clothes (Keep in car w/ detailer for droppings/smudges)
                    Peak Gripper Terry Pads (applying SwirlX or wax if better than Gold Class pad) Smooth foam would be ideal, or MF. Terry is very agressive in comparsion.
                    Peak Gripper Terry Pads (applying tire dressing)

I'm going to do my first detailing on the new Forester and the 06 Lexus IS250 this week. If any questions arise, I'll be posting in Detailing101.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by czop suey View Post
                      Which Chili's? What's the meet about? If it's anything like the meets I see at the Burger King on Rt20 or Hooters on Rt17, probably not my kind of thing. I'm not fanatical about cars right now. Recently got married, baby, house and in budget-mode. Don't wanna sweat cars or accessories I can't afford anyway. Plus, only little free time for the other hobbies.

It's the Chili's by the garden state plaza on rt. 17. It's nothing like any of the others "show's" or anything like that. It's actually just a bunch of subie enthusiasts that get together to talk and BS with each other, help each other out with cars, etc. All of the guys are really cool; Let me know if you want any more info; I definitely think you should try coming out! PM me if you want to talk over phone or something.

Comment

Forester is brand new and only slight swirls. They say you should use least aggressive thing to get job done. What's the difference between Deep Crystal Polish, ColorX and Swirlx?

I have the factory alloy wheels and sounds like you prefer Hot Rims All Wheel better that Gold Class All Wheel so I guess I lucked out.

I haven't made up my mind how necessary grit guards are since I'm using 2 bucket method.

Agreed about not using scrub on paint. The 4-in-1 for upper half of car has MF Chennille Strands on one side & deep pile MF (like towel) on other wth thin strip of mesh (for scrubbing) between the two which I would never use on paint. Don't like the idea of using same mitt for lower carriage (black plastic) or wheels. For that reason, I got the second 2-in-1 mitt with same MF chennille strands on one side and other side is all mesh. I would only use that scrubber for serious road grime on wheels or blk plastic and didn't think that would be too aggressive.

I misspoke. The applicator pads are MF. My goal was to get all MF products so I can wash them togethor and don't have to worry about lint getting on eachother. So I guess the foam pad that comes with the wax is the best. How well do you think the MF pads will work for applying SwirlX?

Comment

Forester is brand new and only slight swirls. They say you should use least aggressive thing to get job done. What's the difference between Deep Crystal Polish, ColorX and Swirlx?
                          SwirlX is a mild/medium cleaner polish. Can remove swirls, and leaves some polishing oils behind. Will be stronger than ColorX for defect removal.

ColorX is cleaner/polish/wax. It is a bit stronger than the regular cleaner/wax, which I like, and can remove some defects by machine. Wouldn't be my choice by hand.

DC Polish is a pure polish. So no cleaning or protective ability, just polishing oils.

I have the factory alloy wheels and sounds like you prefer Hot Rims All Wheel better that Gold Class All Wheel so I guess I lucked out.
                          The Aluminum Wheel Wash is my favorite, but All Wheel is going to be similar and a little stronger.

I haven't made up my mind how necessary grit guards are since I'm using 2 bucket method.
                          Get one for the rinse water at least... you'll be surprised.

Don't like the idea of using same mitt for lower carriage (black plastic) or wheels.
                          I wouldn't even have a mitt for wheels near my paint. I use brushes myself, but either way....

I misspoke. The applicator pads are MF. My goal was to get all MF products so I can wash them together and don't have to worry about lint getting on each other. So I guess the foam pad that comes with the wax is the best.
                          Haven't tried washing a MF pad with the foam core in a machine.... should be OK, but foam can break down in a washing machine. I soak and rinse my foam pads by hand. Wash the wash sponges (MF/foam core) by hand also to try and preserve them longer.

How well do you think the MF pads will work for applying SwirlX?
                          Should be fine.

I have used a couple pads that just didn't 'feel' nice to me, like the MF cover and the foam core were moving/slipping around separately if really working in a product. Have not used the new Meguiars ones, or maybe you got other ones. If it is foam only, it 'moves' together, so to speak, and I like that.

But other than feel, nothing wrong with MF applying SwirlX.

Comment

Wow! Great feedback!

I didn't go for a brush for wheels because I thought it would be more aggressive than the MF mesh. Also, I though I might not need that much abbrasion if I would be washing every other week.

On a side note, my friend gave me one of his extra boar's hair brushes. Shaped like a brick with a flat wooden handle on top. He worked for a professional detailer for years and swears by them for washing the whole car. I know boar's hair is supposed to be really soft; but, I question if could cause swirls. Thought maybe for wheels since Forester has large openings but IS250 spokes too tight.

Surprised you said Hot Rims All Wheel more power than Aluminum Only. I imagined Aluminum Only to be for those mag-type wheels where they have an uncoated metal look and could take more abuse. Mine are the factory 17" 5-spoke aluminum alloy that look coated. I bought All Wheel thinking it would be more tame since it caters to all types. I want to be easy on the coating.

Comment

To add to my other post, I meant ColorX would not be my choice for defect removal by hand. Love the product for regular use.

I wouldnt boars-hair brush the paint either. Wheels probably would be ok.

Uncoated aluminum, etc is actually more easily damaged by chemicals than the clear coated. And the high end brake components are more easily damaged as well.

Dont really like the name "All-Wheel" myself either.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');