• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damp-Sanding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair with Meguiar's Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damp-Sanding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair with Meguiar's Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs

Damp-Sanding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair with Meguiar's Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs

This was knocked out in approximately 8 hours...

Damp-Sanding with Meguiar's Unigrit #3000 Unigrit Finishing Discs

Matt and I used 2 discs to sand down the entire car...

Here's Matt damp-sanding the roof...

Hey Matt, I have to leave now... something suddenly came up...

Normally you would want to wipe off the sanding sludge as you work around the car but it makes for a more cool photo to leave all the sludge on the car. Here we've wiped the car clean and we're ready to start compounding.

#3000 Grit leaves a flat sheen that's easily buffed out...

After compounding, polishing, and applying the first coat of a paint protection product, we "edged" the car, in this example edging means to open all the doors, trunk lid and hood and wipe out any compounding or polishing residue in the cracks and crevises...

Edging....

When you open the car all up for any reason and take a picture, this is called stretching, kind of like you when your spread out your arms and stretch out...

Stretching...

I brought in 3 cans of Mountain Dew and by the time we were through I had one can left and I was sooooo thirsty, it was all I could do to set up these reflection shots not drinking the cold refreshing Mountain New...

Fear not for the paint...
    After taking the hood reflection shot, I cut a small square out of a Microfiber Towel and created the first official Microfiber Coaster.

All finished in around 8 hours with two guys working in the garage...

Parting shot...

Time to close down the garage...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Damp-Sanding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair with Meguiar's Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs

Beautiful work, Mike and Matt! Classic 50's American Iron always makes for great photo ops. Awesome reflections!

Was there any discussion to removing the emblems for a more thorough sanding?

Comment

Re: Damp-Sanding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair with Meguiar's Unigrit Foam Finishing Discs

I think Mike just enjoys inventing words....
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Love it!! Can't wait for AudionutMike's '58 Chevy to get out of paint so we can do the same with our Meg's foam damp sanding kits.

Great job!

Comment

Awesome work

Comment

WAO!
            Im shocked.

A little question:

-Arent we supposed to sand in a single direction?
            or is it different when sanding with the DA?

Thanks
            Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
            Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
            Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Fantastic work, guys. Can you say stunning.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

That is awesome! I want to be able to do that.....
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Holy ****!!! that is amazing! Can't wait for the 58....
                  The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Awesome! Could we get more information on the compounding-polishing steps taken?
                    Guy
                    01 Mustang GT

Comment

OMG Mike...that's one freaking awesome '56! Nice job.
                      Don
                      "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Stunning. It looks beautiful.

Comment

[Sorry, this got reposted after an edit to remove the *****.]
                          Mike seems to becoming like Oprah....."*******" is becoming a brand name.
                          Based on his testimonials, I'm getting a case of Mountain Dew.
                          Obviously, put the "punch" in the detail.

Last edited by Jossy92; May 23, 2010, 08:55 AM. Reason: reposted accidently
                          Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                          by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Mike seems to becoming like Oprah..... Phillips is becoming a quality brand name.
                            Based on his testimonial, I'm getting a case of Mountain Dew.
                            Obviously, put the "punch" in the detail.

Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Mike,

What was the issue with the car that required damp sanding? I assume this has been repainted and has a good amount of clear on it. Seems like this could be a pretty risky procedure on a factory paint. Would love to hear your advice.

Great work guys!
                              -Bob
                              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');