• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Remember Your First Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Remember Your First Car?

I know I do! Back right after I turned 18, I graduated from HS. I didnt have a car, or a decent job to support me. However, on my graduation day, my grandmother, who had come all the way from Wyoming to see the ceremony, gave me $3000 to put towards my first car. I already had saved about $1500 to put towards my future car as well. So the plan was this, buy a decent car for under $4K and leave the rest to perhaps modify the car or just keep it saved. Easier said than done. But just a few weeks after the money had been deposited, on August 27, 2008, a real jewel popped up on Craigslist and I didn't hesitate one bit!

The end result: a beautiful Crystal White 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 Coupe!

Here's some pics of me with it my first day!

The car was a real steal! The dealer had got it in on trade and was about to send it off to the auction since they couldn't sell it on the lot (over 100K miles). With just under 110K miles on the odometer, and power everything (sunroof, windows, mirrors, the lot), I was SOLD! It had a cloth interior which I didn't mind a bit, a booming sound system, a healthy 3.4L 3400 Series V6 (only 180HP but 200 lb/ft of torque) and everything just seemed to be in good working order! I paid $3250 out the door and she was mine! I enjoyed her every single second of every time I drove her around!

Everything was going great...she had just recently been repaired by me, due a scrape up with an 80 year old lady and her Ford Taurus in a Wal-Mart parking lot, so the front bumper was still black plastic, and was mere days away from getting a complete custom re-spray of 2008 Cadillac Escalade Pearl White paint.

However, little did I know, my baby's life was about to be cut short.

The date was February 10, 2009. The time: 8:30 am. The town, North Richland Hills, TX. I was traveling along Hwy. 26 on my way to school at Tarrant County College NE, minding my own business. I came upon a snarling line of cars waiting at the long red light while I was doing 40 mph (the speed limit), I had to slam on the brakes due to the car in front of me just clamping down on the binders in front of me. I had stopped a good 7-9 feet behind the car in front of me, when out of nowhere, the whole car jerked violently forward, slamming me into the car in front of me. I immediately checked myself over, and then pulled over onto the shoulder. Steam began hissing from my hood and it took a couple moments to realize what had happened. I knew I had been hit, but by what?

The answer, was an unlicensed, and uninsured 19 year old girl, in her father's 2007 Chrysler 300C! She only had a permit, but had no adult supervision in the car, and the only insurance card she had, was expired.

This just made me so mad, but I had other business to sort out. Not only had she forced me into the car in front of me, but the car I hit, had gotten run into the brand new Acura TL in front of her. Ironically, the car I was run into, was not only a rental, it was one of my best friends from school driving it.

The Chrysler was bent up pretty bad, but my car took the worst of it, being wedged between the Chrysler, and a Kia Spectra! The frame was bent in 2 places and both ends of the car were hurt badly. I just barely managed to drive what was left of my beloved car home before it just died from so much damage.

Here's some afters. It looks like nothing, but there was some serious frame damage underneath that you can't see:

So that was the end of my first car. I eventually did replace it with another car, but even that failed to restore the pride I had with this car. After all, I had bought it with my own money, kept it always in the garage, and never abused it. Just used it as a daily commuter to work, school, and parties. My friends and I all loved it, and I miss it everyday! Shows how much I am a car guy! I don't think any new car will have as many memories as I had made with this car!

R.I.P. 99 GA GT1
    Manufactured: 04/99
    August 27, 2008- February 10, 2009

I'm sorry if I made ya'll cry, but I just thought I'd share my story of my first car with ya'll!

TTYL,
    Bobby J
    Owner/ Founder: Carchitects Auto Detailing
    "When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
    When Barry gives you Meguiar's, you get one HECK OF A SHINE!"

Re: Do You Remember Your First Car?

Sorry to hear about your car. That was a nice one.

If you want to hear a story about the good old days, I have one. I was living in an apartment in the full basement of a Victorian house about 5 miles north of Denver University, where I had a job making $450 per month with full benefits (I had paid $300 to train for the job in 3 months). I got free tuition for 1 course per quarter, took calculus II and III. My rent was 125 a month. I started out either riding my bicycle or taking the bus depending on the weather. Finally I bought a 4-year-old Ford Pinto for $800. It was from a mechanic, I am sure it would have been more expensive from a dealer. It was a great car. It was kind of tomato soup colored, pretty oxidized. It needed to be detailed ha ha but what did I know. I finally traded it in 3 years later for a brand new Datsun 310. I think I got $100 for it. The 310 was the 2nd thing I had ever financed, the 1st being a 1-bedroom condominium in capitol hill (too bad I didn't keep it, they are worth over 100,000 now). I was making $6.10 per hour at the time as a computer programmer and operator. Those were definitely the good old days. I could afford to buy way more then than I could now.

Comment

1966 Plymouth Belvedere. $400.00 Great first car. Fire engine red.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

1967 Mercury Caliente. 2 door, 289 w/boss 302 heads, Crane Cam (can't remember lift/duration but it sure did lope at idle) Hooker headers, C4 auto, Keystone Rims. White over a very light yellow. Got pictures, but haven't scanned them. Man...to have it back......
        Don
        "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

1986 Ford Mustang LX coupe (2.3). Still miss it.

Comment

1952 Buick 2dr sedan, stick shift, straight eight.

Comment

I drove my first car off of a cliff (about 40 feet down) in the Santa Cruz Mountains in March of 1983.

67 Plymouth Barracuda

RIP

Comment

273 CI small block, solid lift, 2 barrel carb, full floating pistons, dual exhaust with Hooker headers. Engine was fully remanufactured, new everything. Approximately 225 horses. It would pull pretty good all the way to 8k rpm's.

Comment

1992 Jeep YJ

Comment

1982 Chevy Monte Carlo.

Bought for $600, it had a tan leather-type roof and midnight blue paint with plenty of surface rust. There were black spots on the car where the previous owner had painted over the rust spots to try to stop it from rusting through - it did work, never rusted through. Oh yeah, and a tan pin stripe to boot. Man, was that car ugly!

I bought the car when I was 15, so we had time to work on it.

My Dad and I ended up sanding it and painting it all primer black with spray cans. We dyed the tan roof black too. All the chrome pieces I took off and sanded and painted them black too. The stock rims I painted black and painted the trim with silver. It was smokin' when we were done!

I never did have enough money to get the car painted, so black primer it stayed. After winter, I'd sand the little rust spots that appeared and break out the can of black primer and go to town - looked good as new!!!! Not so easy now days when you get a speck of rust.
                    Kyla | 2006 Z71 Chevy Tahoe | 1986 Chevy Blazer dragster | 1951 Mercury coupe

Comment

How could I ever forget my 1st car!!! It was a 1985 Corvette. Medium Metallic Grey with charcoal leather interior, auto trans, targa top, and only 72,000 original miles. I purchased it June 28, 1999, the summer before my senior year of high school. I bought it from the 2nd owner who only put 20,000 miles on it during his 12 year ownership. The owner was dying of liver cancer and was selling off everything - house, cars, etc. I picked it up for $7,500. I couldn't help but laugh when the rich kids in school thought I was spoiled. I thought, "I'm driving a $7,500 car. You're driving a $35,000 Land Rover. You're driving a brand new Mustang GT. You're driving a BMW..." I paid less for my car than most of the kids I went to school with!!

The day I brought it home. Cherry, isn't it.

And the day I got stupid and sold it!! What an idiot! Sorry for the purple shirt. I was headed off to work at the local video store.

Colin
                      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Still driving my first car. Paid 2 grand for it. I've had it now for 5 years. She has just under 130,000 miles on the odo and still going strong.

Shane
                        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                          How could I ever forget my 1st car!!! It was a 1985 Corvette. Medium Metallic Grey with charcoal leather interior, auto trans, targa top, and only 72,000 original miles. I purchased it June 28, 1999, the summer before my senior year of high school. I bought it from the 2nd owner who only put 20,000 miles on it during his 12 year ownership. The owner was dying of liver cancer and was selling off everything - house, cars, etc. I picked it up for $7,500. I couldn't help but laugh when the rich kids in school thought I was spoiled. I thought, "I'm driving a $7,500 car. You're driving a $35,000 Land Rover. You're driving a brand new Mustang GT. You're driving a BMW..." I paid less for my car than most of the kids I went to school with!!

The day I brought it home. Cherry, isn't it.

And the day I got stupid and sold it!! What an idiot! Sorry for the purple shirt. I was headed off to work at the local video store.

Colin

That is one sick looking ride! Got me beat by a long shot! I wish I could have a car like that now but they're just so much money! I'm aiming a little lower than a Vette for my next car.

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
                            Still driving my first car. Paid 2 grand for it. I've had it now for 5 years. She has just under 130,000 miles on the odo and still going strong.

Man that thing looks like its been babied so much! Very nice, and thats still your first car? Thats pretty sweet!

Comment

ive still got my first car. I got it for my 16th birthday. Its a 2008 SX4. with a ton of mods....its goin on 2 yrs...only 17,000 on the clock

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');