• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

salt stains on carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salt stains on carpet

What do you guys recommend for salt stains on the carpet of your car? Not sure what product to use to clean them out. Should I just use water?

Great question fpalattao! It is that time of year!

I know of the staining that you've experienced as the salt trucks are a constant reminder around here that winter is in full bloom. In similar instances, I've utilized a high-quality carpet cleaner like Meguiar's Heavy Duty Carpet & Interior Cleaner

For a 'crystalline' stain, such as salt, I'll typically start with straight hot water on a 100% cotton terry towel to disolve much of the stain and then follow with the cleaner. Don't saturate the area with water as it can lead to larger problems in the arena of mold and musty odors.

Good luck!

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Removing Road Salt Stains:
      Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, rinse with an alkaline solution of baking soda / water and repeat until most of the stain has been lifted. Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor.

Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes acidic (corrosive); "Always add the acid to the water, never add the water to acid" Chemistry 101, take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.

JonM
      Last edited by TOGWT; Jan 6, 2005, 10:31 AM.
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

thank you dude for the 411. I will get some of that stuff at the meet up here...........cheers
        BIMMER FAN OWNER FOR LIFE...

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');