• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pre-wax cleaner, what do I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-wax cleaner, what do I use?

I've been trying to find as much info as I can online about pre-wax cleaners and am now sure I am going to purchase one. My question that I just can't seem to find enough information on is, will it be ok to apply a pre-wax cleaner with micro abbr. often, say once a month or is my best bet to use a product with just cleaners and no abbr.? I live in an area with extreme all season weather and need to seal/wax no more than every 6 weeks. (just want the best protection). I plan on using a polish for correction 1-2 at the most a year so what I am asking will the cleaner with micro polish be overkill for my clear coat? (bmw) I also may want to play around with new sealants and waxes so I know I will be needing a paint cleaner just am not sure if one with micro polishes is too much? Any information is much appreciated guys. Also if you have some recommendations I am all ears, I have not decided on a product yet wich I will once I figure out what type of cleaner is best for me.

mucho thank you's!

Re: pre-wax cleaner, what do I use?

Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is the least aggressive cleaner they have. It still has a very small amount of diminishing abrasives but nothing that should worry you. However, since that is disconstinued I recommend picking up some Swirlx which is a moderate cleaner as it is more aggressive than M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Not only would using this on a DA not harm your clearcoat, it is impossible, unless you are trying, to damage your clearcoat using this product. YOu could even step it up to Ultimate Compund for those once a year swirl removals.

Next, the micropolish you speak of, are you referring to Menzerna's MicroPolish or something else? You should not need to use a paint cleaner more than once or twice a year and if you do then your technique needs to be tweaked.

A paint cleaner followed by a polish is not overkill, it is actually best. Unless of course the polish you are speaking of contains something that will remove scratches (abrasives; don't be scared by this word) then it may be overkill or it may bring out the gloss further. Using a pure polish (no abrasives; like M05, M07, M03, Deep Crystal Polish) after any kind of paint cleaner will not only make dark colors shine more, it will feed the paint with necessary oils.

You can feel free to try out any wax that you want. You coud make different sections of the car 'test spots' for different waxes. For example, the hood would be Sample 1, the driver's side door would be Sample 2, the passenger side door would be Sample 3. Using this method will allow you to see how each one looks over an extended period of time so that you can choose the best. It is easier than going over the whole car with a clay bar, diluted All Purpose Clear, a paint cleaner in order to remove that existing layer of wax.

All right, I hope some of this stuff helps! Good luck!
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Paint Cleaners: Swirlx and Ultimate Compund; possibly Scratchx but not totally necessary. Order of aggressiveness from least to greatest: SwirlX, SctratchX 2.0, Ultimate Compund. Be sure to use ScratchX 2.0 and not the original formula as the original is weaker than SwirlX. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is discontinued but the mildest of all the ones listed.

Polishes: Either Deep Crystal Polish or M07 show car glaze. They are both very good and will add great depth to the paint.

Microfibers: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY!!!!! I would recommend about 12 to begin with. Walmart has decent quality ones but you could always go with the incredible Supreme Shine Microfiber from Megs.

Wax: I like Gold Class, only tried NXT once and it was very good also. It really comes down to a personal preference. If you plan on applying the wax by hand, I recommend the paste but for machine application I suggest the liquid. The differences in the paste and liquid versions come down to a personal preferences.

Cleaner Wax: Cleaner Wax (A12), the consumer version, is very good and does a nice job of providing a little more muscle to remove slight oxidation and very mild swirls. Colorx is a much stronger cleaner wax, comparable to M06 Cleaner Wax. I have yet to use it but I have heard nothing but good reviews. These can be used if you are running low on time and still want to mildly correct, polish and wax the car.

Dressings: I like M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner for tires and some exterior trim. I also like Supreme Shine Protectant for tires and outdoor trim. Natural Shine Protectant is great for interiors and for people who prefer a low gloss on their trim pieces.

Quick Detail Spray: Quik Detailer is great and does a fantastic job. Ultimate Quik Detailer is equivalent to M135 as it utilizes the hydrophobic technology (the product is “afraid” of the water and therefore the water will either bead or sheet off the car).

Spray Wax: Quik Wax is a good product but Ultimate Quik Wax is even better. You can use these after you wash the car in order to boost the already established wax. This should really be used as a booster wax more than the base layer but it will work great either way.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698

Comment

WOW! Thanks coopers for the wealth of information, it's very helpful! I think I will be picking me up some Meguiars (A12) as after some reading up on the product it seems to be the best for my needs. I feel safer using Meguiars products because its a tried and tested name!

Comment

No problem, thats why we're here!
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
            Paint Cleaners: Swirlx and Ultimate Compund; possibly Scratchx but not totally necessary. Order of aggressiveness from least to greatest: SwirlX, SctratchX 2.0, Ultimate Compund. Be sure to use ScratchX 2.0 and not the original formula as the original is weaker than SwirlX. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is discontinued but the mildest of all the ones listed.

Polishes: Either Deep Crystal Polish or M07 show car glaze. They are both very good and will add great depth to the paint.

Microfibers: YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY!!!!! I would recommend about 12 to begin with. Walmart has decent quality ones but you could always go with the incredible Supreme Shine Microfiber from Megs.

Wax: I like Gold Class, only tried NXT once and it was very good also. It really comes down to a personal preference. If you plan on applying the wax by hand, I recommend the paste but for machine application I suggest the liquid. The differences in the paste and liquid versions come down to a personal preferences.

Cleaner Wax: Cleaner Wax (A12), the consumer version, is very good and does a nice job of providing a little more muscle to remove slight oxidation and very mild swirls. Colorx is a much stronger cleaner wax, comparable to M06 Cleaner Wax. I have yet to use it but I have heard nothing but good reviews. These can be used if you are running low on time and still want to mildly correct, polish and wax the car.

Dressings: I like M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner for tires and some exterior trim. I also like Supreme Shine Protectant for tires and outdoor trim. Natural Shine Protectant is great for interiors and for people who prefer a low gloss on their trim pieces.

Quick Detail Spray: Quik Detailer is great and does a fantastic job. Ultimate Quik Detailer is equivalent to M135 as it utilizes the hydrophobic technology (the product is “afraid” of the water and therefore the water will either bead or sheet off the car).

Spray Wax: Quik Wax is a good product but Ultimate Quik Wax is even better. You can use these after you wash the car in order to boost the already established wax. This should really be used as a booster wax more than the base layer but it will work great either way.

SwirlX is a cleaner/polish

Ultimate Compound and ScratchX are just straight cleaners.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

ColorX or A12 followed by a regular wax is a popular quick detail.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');