• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Correction Shocker - Overspray removal gone wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Correction Shocker - Overspray removal gone wrong.

Recently I received a call. The customer was quite distressed, somewhat concerned that they may be needing to repaint a complete vehicle.
    To Cut a long story short, this sales reps car had been spattered with paint overspray and a 'reputable mobile detail company' had been called in to help out.

A couple of hours later the overspray was gone except there was a problem.
    Insert Warning Here - squeamish persons should look away

These shots are just of the front end, the complete car was covered in this but I've attempted to minimise the horror

The detailer denied causing the damage, and insisted that the scouring had always been under the overspray.
    The customer had problem and the Detailer one less client.
    Roll forward a few days and on seeing the car I was reluctant to make any promises as to finished results but was willing to give things a go. I find that the Paint on these Nissan's is horrible to work on at the best of times. Just when you think you've got it looking good, you turn around and everything returns.

I should have taken some real close-ups because unfortunately these shots don't really show how deep some of the scratches were, I was deadset frightened to colour-sand in case I destroyed the finish completely so I opted for a slow and careful approach.
    Meguiars 105 with a Meguiars Wool pad, followed by W7000
    Polish with M205 on W8000 and a rotary followed by M205 and an orbital.
    High Tech to finish.

I masked everything. This was going to be a messy job.

After and hour and a 1/2 of careful compounding on the bonnet I could see we would eventually get somewhere.

Several (many) hours later and I was quite relieved to be finished but the results were worthwhile.

Re: Paint Correction Shocker - Overspray removal gone wrong.

Great save. That paint was trashed. Bet the sales rep was relieved.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice save!
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Good work.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What were those marks all over the car?
          2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
          Black Obsidian

Comment

Someone really needs to tell that "detailer" that taking a Scotchbrite pad, putting on rubbing compound, dipping that into sand, then putting it to the hood isn't the proper way of removing paint overspray. Geez.

Colin
            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Wow!

Really nice save.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

As the other have said "nice save". The owner must have given you a hug (a manly hug of course).

What a perfect car to use for an advertising shot and testimonial.

Comment

What a save !

Holy Cow ^
                  Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Nice work bringing that paint back. You had to be proud of that. Nice save.
                    Don
                    "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

It kind of makes a point that if you go to a car detailer, even if they do not voluntarily do a walkthrough of the existing defects in the car, you insist that they do it for your own protection. If the marks were already there, he could point them out to you in the beginning. If they weren't, he should have made it right, even if it means paying for someone qualified to fix it. This kind of thing has to give detailers a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcki View Post
                        It kind of makes a point that if you go to a car detailer, even if they do not voluntarily do a walkthrough of the existing defects in the car, you insist that they do it for your own protection. If the marks were already there, he could point them out to you in the beginning. If they weren't, he should have made it right, even if it means paying for someone qualified to fix it. This kind of thing has to give detailers a bad name.
                        Good points.
                        Along that line I was also thinking that taking before and after photos are insurance for both the detailer and the client.

Comment

wow.. How did this "reputable" detailer manage to do this? Looks like he used woolite via rotary
                          Great save, looks great!
                          Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
                          Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
                          00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');