• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax

Hello all ,
    I recently did a small test among Wash & Wax shampoos in terms of their water beading, sheeting and foaming ability. You can read the full write-up HERE.

I'm not posting the whole write-up here since it isn't of much relevance to Meg's UW&W.

First I tested the UW&W on water sheeting.

The clean test panel is washed and left for 20 seconds. It is then rinsed with a splash of water.

Sheeting wise, it did not sheet any better than the control area. Let's see if it will bead water...

It wouldn't help create beading too. It foams well though!

This brought me to a conclusion of the tested shampoos in a radar below,

Now you may look at the table and radar above and conclude that Meguiar’s new Ultimate Wash & Wax is rubbish. But let’s remind ourselves that shampoos shouldn’t be judged only from those three aspects. A few other things makes a shampoo good, such as lubrication, cleaning ability, improved gloss, not leaving water spots, gentleness on applied wax/sealant and post-wash slickness.

Meguiar’s also do not have a history of relating water beading to protection. I remembered reading a statement on Meguiar’s Online stating something like, ‘Gold Class wax may not be beading water anymore, but it is still there protecting the paint’. Only as of late, they start emphasizing on water beading due to their new Hydrophobic Polymer Technology.

Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax also does not state on the packaging that it contains its Hydrophobic Polymer Technology, so I may not be looking for the things that Meguiar’s want me to look for in its new shampoo.

Being a Meguiar’s fan, I’m going to defend it!

So I will be using it on my daily driver. The car isn’t very dirty, just your average road grime and traffic film.

Before pictures of the car.

Measuring 5 ounces(150ml) of Ultimate Wash & Wax for 5 gallons of water.

As shown during the test panel wash, it suds very nicely!

Here’s the hood before washing.

Half of the hood being washed with a Lake Country Big Blue sponge.

At the end of the wash, the suds were still strong in the bucket.

Water beading was maintained.

Car is dried using an Autoglym Aqua Dry Synthetic Chamois, leaving a clean glossy shine behind.

My conclusion about Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash & Wax, very sudsy, very lubricated, good cleaning power on protected paintwork and *maintains* water repellency. The keyword is maintain, it would not create better water beading, but at the same time, wouldn’t kill beading unlike Meguiar’s NXT shampoo; which from my previous experience, can be harsh on LSPs(last step product). I also noticed my hands had a waxy feeling after washing and drying the car. The paint also felt slicker, not sure if it’s due to the waxy hand feeling or Ultimate Wash & Wax doing its thing. Either way, at a price range that matches other non-OTC shampoos, I say this is a keeper. Definitely a good shampoo if you lower your expectations. Oh, it smells like yummy mango milkshake!

Thanks for looking! Please critique my test and any comments are appreciated, good and bad.

P.S You can read the full write-up where other shampoos are compared to here:

http://wetshinedetailing.blogspot.com/2010/04/mythbusting-wash-wax-shampoos-review-of.html

Re: Review of Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax

Yea, I noticed it did not really sheet or bead, like normal wax at all, but it maintains so its good, it also leaves a good shine.

But it surprises me, Meguiars put out a product with there name on it which doesn't really work as advertised as a WAX but its a great soap.

Comment

I just want to compliment you on the full write-up. Not many guys would go to the lengths that you did to compare and review all those different wash products. I'm not sure if the review helps one to choose one product over another, but that's not your fault. Clearly you have attempted to honestly describe what you witnessed in your testing and have provided photographic documentation. Thanks!

I have only used four wash shampoos: Megs' Gold Class, Megs' NXT, DuraGloss 901, and Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash. All four seem to get the job done. I think I prefer DG 901 for my regular wash but only by the tiniest of margins. How would you compare Megs' new Wash & Wax to these shampoos?
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Great write-up, but I am a bit surprised you didn't notice a change in beading/sheeting. I did a test myself on a few vehicles which all lacked wax, and with side by side testing was getting considerably different sheeting and improved beading from the wash alone.

I had the customer watching and he pointed it out as well. It wasn't as significant as say UQW, but it certainly changed the way water droplets formed and exited the panel.

Also, when I went to clay the vehicle and sprayed my 50:50 water/Last Touch onto the panel it immediately dispersed into small beads, completely different than what it did before when I tried spraying the same mix on there. That means there was certainly something left behind modifying the surface tension properties - at least in my case.

I'll try and find the time to repeat my tests with a camera handy...

Comment

Cool graphic!

Reminds me of an Atari game I used to play in the early 80's called Tempest

Comment

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do the testing.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by thescreensavers View Post
              Yea, I noticed it did not really sheet or bead, like normal wax at all, but it maintains so its good, it also leaves a good shine.

But it surprises me, Meguiars put out a product with there name on it which doesn't really work as advertised as a WAX but its a great soap.
              Well, the bottle didn't advertise that it will bead or sheet water, so it really isn't false advertising either. Unlike ArmorAll's Ultra Shine Wash & Wax, it shows a water beading picture, but it didn't bead water for me.

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              I just want to compliment you on the full write-up. Not many guys would go to the lengths that you did to compare and review all those different wash products. I'm not sure if the review helps one to choose one product over another, but that's not your fault. Clearly you have attempted to honestly describe what you witnessed in your testing and have provided photographic documentation. Thanks!

I have only used four wash shampoos: Megs' Gold Class, Megs' NXT, DuraGloss 901, and Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash. All four seem to get the job done. I think I prefer DG 901 for my regular wash but only by the tiniest of margins. How would you compare Megs' new Wash & Wax to these shampoos?
              Thanks! Well, it is not to help choose one shampoo over the other. If you like water sheeting, something like Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner is good, but ii feels like washing with water because there are very little suds, almost none. I guess the four shampoos you mentioned will work equally well. It's hard to tell any huge difference between one shampoo and another. Besides, it's just shampoo, if it cleans, it works! Right?

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Great write-up, but I am a bit surprised you didn't notice a change in beading/sheeting. I did a test myself on a few vehicles which all lacked wax, and with side by side testing was getting considerably different sheeting and improved beading from the wash alone.

I had the customer watching and he pointed it out as well. It wasn't as significant as say UQW, but it certainly changed the way water droplets formed and exited the panel.

Also, when I went to clay the vehicle and sprayed my 50:50 water/Last Touch onto the panel it immediately dispersed into small beads, completely different than what it did before when I tried spraying the same mix on there. That means there was certainly something left behind modifying the surface tension properties - at least in my case.

I'll try and find the time to repeat my tests with a camera handy...
              Thanks Mark. I'm curious about what you observed too. Maybe I should repeat the test with UW&W again, just to reconfirm. One thing though, try to wash one half with a normal shampoo, such as gold class, and the other half with UW&W. Water will have a lesser tendency to bead on dirty paintwork. If both sides are clean, then beading can be compared. Not dirty vs clean, but clean vs clean. Hope I'm making sense, lol!

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              Cool graphic!

Reminds me of an Atari game I used to play in the early 80's called Tempest
              Haha, graphic is thanks to Microsoft Excel. 80's? I wasn't even born yet!

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
              Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do the testing.
              Thank you!

Comment

Interesting how most reviews conflict with one another. Though for mine the beading was very apparent at the wrong dilution ratio since I used a lot more in the foam cannon
                Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

How often can you use this?

Thanks,
                  Wig

Comment

It's a wash shampoo, so you could use it as much as you like I would presume.

I just used it today for the first time! I have used Gold Class and NXT Car washes. I always loved the results of Gold Class and appreciate the synthetic properties of NXT.

To the point, I like Ultimate Wash and Wash! It smells great, which takes some of the work out of the scrubbing at least, if there is a nice aroma around you. ha. I used a fairly high concentration of the product as I do a traditional wash so rarely, I don't try to conserve shampoo.

The car honestly only had light dust, so I can't really comment on cleaning abilities, but seemed to do a great job.

The finish was *not* particularly slick after drying. Certainly, a quick detailer leaves a much slicker finish in my mind. Furthermore, Gold Class always seemed to leave a bit of a shine that didn't seem to be there with Ultimate Wash and Wax.

I followed it up with Ultimate Quick Wax to restore the shine and slickness, and it fully returned!

Overall, I enjoyed using Ultimate Wash and Wax, but I personally doubt there is too much protection or wax shine added by the product.

Comment

I love this car wash. I just bought it 3 weeks ago, and used it only once. I am quite impressed. The smell, suds, and thickness are just lovely. First, I thought the price was way to steep, considering you are only getting 48oz. However, when I used it, all those changed.

For a perfect car wash:
                      - Ultimate Wash & Wax
                      - Two bucket method (w/ two Grit Guards)
                      - Two MF wash mitts (one for the top, and one for the bottom of the vehicle)
                      - Two Water Magnets
                      - 1:1 Last Touch as an aid for drying

Comment

I washed my car 2 times with this new car wash.. Real nice.. it was just like I used UQD on the car.. I dried the car real easy, only 1 water magnet.. plus a bit of soft touch for some edges
                        "Does it come in black?" Bruce Wayne / Batman Begins

Comment

i have a question...

since this is WAX and wash

would it hurt the plastic trims on my car that is not covered by paint?

Comment

Originally posted by brendan1234 View Post
                            i have a question...

since this is WAX and wash

would it hurt the plastic trims on my car that is not covered by paint?
                            No, it won't.
                            Not enough wax in the soap to hurt anything.

Comment

I bought the Ultimate Wash & Wax yesterday without reading any reviews of it. I took my time washing and let the soap sit on each panel for a minute or two before rinsing it off. I went over the car twice like this and the results impressed me enough to search for other people's experiences. My car looks like I just waxed it and that's really all I expect from a wash. For paint protection you obviously need to use a true wax. I'm highly impressed with this product.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');