• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 Holden WM Caprice - my first detail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Holden WM Caprice - my first detail!

Finally, I was able to test out my Festool Rotex, and do a proper full detail on a car! And what a first job - 14 hours all up over 2 days!!

This car is a black 2007 Holden (GM) WM Caprice - read luxury barge for commuting company execs around town and to and from the airport etc...
    My girlfriends' father runs a chauffeur car service - being Easter, things were quiet and this car had the whole weekend off - he was quite happy for me to attack it with the Rotex and see what I could do!!!

It has done about 250,000kms in just over 2 years of service, and is washed regularly at cheap car wash cafés - never been given any proper love! As such it had all the regular RIDS and swirls from having regular washes from people who use inferior products and don't care for what they are doing!!!

First was the wash:

* Pre-soak using Gerni pressure washer and Armor All Car Wash
    * Washed using Meguiars Hyperwash, Meguiars Lambswool Washmitt and 2 bucket method
    * Dried with a Mothers Waffle Weave Drying Towel

Didn't come up too badly for just a wash, but upon closer inspection under halogen lights, the full extent of the swirls was revealed - it's blurry but you can still see just how bad it was:

As you can see, the surface is quite heavily swirled, and the majority of the car was in a similar condition - except for the bonnet which had recently been resprayed, but even that too had some deep RIDS...

After bringing the car back under cover, I clayed the entire car using QD as my lube. As this car is very regularly washed, for a car that had done 250,000kms and NEVER been clayed before, it didn't actually pick up all that much off the surface - in fact the horizontal panels (boot, roof, bonnet) were all in pretty reasonable condition. Suprisingly I pulled a lot more contamination off of the doors!!!

Correction was achieved by 1-2 passes of Ultimate Compound on LC Orange, followed by 1 pass of SwirlX on LC White to remove some slight micro-marring left behind by the UC/Orange combo. I found this combination to be good for removing on average 95% - 100% of the swirls, whilst only leaving behind some of the deeper RIDS, which was OK.

Funnily enough, all four doors needed a second pass with UC/Orange to remove the swirls before polishing with SwirlX/White - the horizontal panels only took 1 pass!

There was one major defect to take notice of, just below the driver's side mirror on the edge of the door panel, not sure how this got there:

Before:

After (note picture rotated 90deg right):

After finally having completed paint correction (this is a BIG sedan), I wiped the whole car down with #34 Final Inspection, before hitting it with two coats of Gold Class wax, giving the first coat around 3 hours to cure before applying the second coat. Job done!

I really like Gold Class wax, the banana smell is quite pleasant and I find it easy to apply and remove. It beads up nicely and lasts long enough, especially if you give it two coats!!!

The morning after, before the driver came back to collect it, I gave it a final wipedown with Last Touch to give it a bit more gloss before it left!
    The fleck had returned in the paint and I couldn't be more stoked with my first detail results!!!

After shots:

Thanks for reading!!

Dave

Re: 2007 Holden WM Caprice - my first detail!

What?!!! No full car shots? I'm highly disappointed. We haven't had a Caprice in the US since '96. I was looking forward to what y'all have down there.

On a side note, the car looks great. Looks like you handled the rotary just fine. Nice job. Now lets see some more pictures of that car.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

X2! Let's see some full car shots. BTW, I love my Holden Commodore...er Pontiac G8!

2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

nice job man.
        Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
        Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
        Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Great job on the car!

Comment

Love those cars. And the Pontiac G8. That was what I was starting to look at when GM killed Pontiac. Now I think I will probably drive our Grand Marquis until it dies.....

Comment

Awesome results. Congrats on your first rotary job. The reflections are great. Bet your girlfriends, dad was thrilled.

Maybe he will throw you some business.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Turned out looking great. I asked my girl for a Festool RAP150 as a anniversary gift, and I got that "how much is that again?" stare. LOL
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                  What?!!! No full car shots? I'm highly disappointed. We haven't had a Caprice in the US since '96. I was looking forward to what y'all have down there.

On a side note, the car looks great. Looks like you handled the rotary just fine. Nice job. Now lets see some more pictures of that car.

Colin
                  Yeah I don't really know why I didn't take any full car shots.....don't really like the camera my mrs has.....need to get one for myself!!!

Anyways, since some of you have asked, here are some shots of the WM Caprice as released here in Australia:

Comment

Really a great job!
                    Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                      Awesome results. Congrats on your first rotary job. The reflections are great. Bet your girlfriends, dad was thrilled.

Maybe he will throw you some business.
                      Yeah he was absolutley thrilled!!
                      Now he wants to know when I can have a go at their flagship car - a black BMW 750iL!!! The paint condition of the car is not that much better than the Caprice was beforehand- can't wait to get my hands on it!!!

Comment

Cannot wait to see these on the road here as the new 9C1 Caprice!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');