• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rasky's Auto Detailing: 1964 Impala full wet sand, buff, and interior fluff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rasky's Auto Detailing: 1964 Impala full wet sand, buff, and interior fluff

This car was brought to be by my mentor who now buys and sells cars….some of you may recall the red 1963 Austin Healey that I did for him last summer. This car is a low mileage car with on 48,XXX original miles and has not been driven or registered since 1987! The car had received an amateur paint job and apparently it was done is some guys garage. Overall the car was pretty nice but the paint itself needed some help and I was asked to do whatever I could to make it look better. Originally I was just told to do the outside but then he asked me the day it was to be delivered to also do a quick touch up of the interior and address of few areas on concern.

Before pics

The tops of the car had sort of been wet sanded once already but was done very poorly and several areas were missed and the sides appeared to be untouched. Being white it was hard capturing the texture and defects in the paint so I didn’t spend a lot of time taking before pics…you should be able to get a good idea from these pics though.

Here are a few pics of the sanding in progress. I chose to do most of the sanding by hand using Meguiars 2000 grit paper and then followed it with their 3000 grit paper. For the large flat areas I sanded by hand using the 2000 grit but followed it up using 3M Trizact 3000 grit disk on the DA.

Half hood sanded

In these pics I tried to show the benefit of finishing down with a 3000 grit or higher paper. Even though M105 and other aggressive compounds are capable of remove 1200 grit scratches, the job is much, much easier when you finish with higher grit paper.

After I sanded the left side of the hood with 2000 grit I tape off a section and then sanded it with 3000 grit.

As you can see the 2000 grit left the finish very dull and there is little to no refection

After sanding with the 3M Trizact 3000 disks you can see a slight gloss to the paint again.

With the tape removed you can see a distinct line in the paint, especially where the florescent light is reflecting on the paint,

Sanding scratches were removed effortlessly using M105 and a PFW in this test spot.

Though they are expensive but they are definitely worth it IMO.

Some more sanding pics….I think these were all after the 2000 grit step

Some before interior pics

Low mileage!

Paint over spray…this was easily removed with some lacquer thinner. (Interior materials of older cars like this seem much more durable and can usually withstand strong solvents like this)

I received some new pads to play around with which worked nicely on some areas of the car. 5” and 3” wool pads.

5”

3”

My actual buffing process was as follows:

• Meguiars M105 on the rotary and various wool pads
    • Meguiars M105 on the rotary and a foam Meguiars W8207 pad
    • Meguiars M205 on the rotary and a foam Meguiars W9207 pad

I tried a few spots after the M205 with PO85RD and UF but saw no noticeable improvement. Glass was done using Meguiars D120, Chrome polished with M105 and Optimum Metal Polish, paint was sealed with Menzerna Power Lock sealant, carpets cleaned using the LGM and Folex, interior wiped down with 1Z Premium Cockpit Cleaner.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: Rasky's Auto Detailing: 1964 Impala full wet sand, buff, and interior fluff

Now for some after pics….I apologize for not having pics in the same lighting and I also forgot to take after pics of some of those nasty areas. Unfortunately I was forced to do all the polishing in my other garage as we were doing some painting on another car in my shop. I was also pretty pressed for time and I needed to deliver the car immediately after I was done with it. LMAO…I drove the car about 5 miles to the auction where it was to be sold and the license plates on the car still had the registration from 1987 on it! I can only imagine what I would have told a cop had I been pulled over!

After pics!

Engine pic…though I did nothing to the engine bay

Interior

Just before I headed to the auction rollin’ in my ’64!

As always, that you for taking the time to view my work!

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Great shots of the orange peel and sanding marks prior to you beginning
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post

Great shots of the orange peel and sanding marks prior to you beginning

Thanks Mike! If the car doesn't sell today I may go back and take some after pics of those areas that looked really ruff. I was actually able to make them look very good too.
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Very nice work. I can surely see the gloss in the white paint. I don't see that car being too difficult to sell especially after you've detailed it.
          Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
          www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
          Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hemin8r View Post
            Very nice work. I can surely see the gloss in the white paint. I don't see that car being too difficult to sell especially after you've detailed it.

Thanks Jesse! She sold today...didn't bring as much money as he was hoping for but you can't always afford to sit on them.
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Excellent work as always, Rasky. Making white paint pop on a amateur garage job speaks volumes of your skills!

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                Excellent work as always, Rasky. Making white paint pop on a amateur garage job speaks volumes of your skills!
                Thanks buddy!
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Great work as always, Rasky. The car looks great. It brings back a lot of memories. The car looks very good.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

WOW!! That looks incredible. Great work Chad.
                    Tracy
                    765-413-7547
                    Autobritedetailing@gmail.com

Comment

Rasky, you are becoming quite the master detailer! Well done, sir.
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!! Awesome job. I know you were beat after that one. That is one large vehicle. Plus I am a certified Impala-aholic, absolutely love em old and new.

Andy
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Fantastic job
                          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Wow. Beautiful car. Well thought out pictures and narrative. Very motivating.
                            Thanks.
                            Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

That's some serious work there man. Turned out looking fantastic. Very cool car indeed. Love them classics.

..and to top it of, you got to drive it to the show.
                              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');