• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'95 Olds Cutlass Ciera: Detailed with Meguiar's, Menzerna, and Wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Olds Cutlass Ciera: Detailed with Meguiar's, Menzerna, and Wolfgang

OK, so I finally get to get some good pics of my car on here. Also got the chance to try out some of my new stuff, including the G110v2, M105, Menzerna PO85rd, and some Wolfgang products. This was my first time polishing. All in all, I think it turned out quite well. I was very pleased. I was able to remove the original defects (light swirls and scratches) with M105 no problem, but it was leaving a light hazing/hologramming that I was having a hard time getting rid of. I tried M205 on a Meg's polishing pad, M205 on a Meg's finishing pad, and Optimum Finish on a Meg's finishing pad. No dice. After conversing with Matt@autogeek through PM's, he recommended PO85rd on a gray CCS pad. Voila! Problem solved! Success! A big thanks to Matt!

OK, onward. The guinea pig is a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL. Color: Purple Pearl, metallic. Almost 130,000 miles on the OD. This car has been my daily driver for the past almost 5 years. She sits outside 24/7, and gets washed, clayed, and waxed on a fairly regular basis. This was her first time getting polished. Ever. I think she liked it. This was my project over spring break. I was able to leave her in the garage for the week, since I didn't have to go anywhere, and just kind of worked on her at my leisure. I'll write up separate reviews for the products I used that I haven't used before. Anyway, on with the show! No pictures of the interior, but if you want to see some pics of the interior, along with some pics before Cutty got polished, as well as some pics of Norris Dam (in Norris, TN, where I took the pictures in the thread linked as well as the pics posted here), see this thread. Interior stays pretty clean, so I didn't spend much time on it. Didn't really take any before pics, number one because it wasn't that bad, just some light swirls and scratches, number two because I was too lazy, and number three, I tried, but had a hard time with the lighting and my point and shoot camera. OK. Those are my excuses. Happy? Wasn't able to get out some water etch marks or some RIDS, but didn't really expect to, especially on a DD.

Process

Interior
    vacuum
    clean rubber floor mats
    light spot removal
    plastics wiped down with APC 10:1, dressed with Meg's Supreme Shine
    glass cleaned
    door shuts cleaned with Meg's Super Degreaser 10:1 and paintbrush, rinsed
    accordion hose dressed with Meg's Exterior Trim Detailer
    weatherstripping dressed with M40

Exterior
    washed with 2BM, grit guards, microfiber chenille mitt, Meg's Deep Crystal car wash
    clayed with Meg's blue professional clay, Last Touch 1:1
    wash again
    Meguiar's M105 on Meg's cutting pad with G110v2 on the roof and trunk (these had some deeper scratches and Type 2 water spots; couldn't remove them fully, but it looks a lot better) on Speed 5
    Meguiar's M105 on Meg's polishing pad on G110v2, Speed 5 on the rest of the car (except for the bumpers, which got M105 and Optimum Finish by hand)
    Menzerna PO85rd on gray CCS pad on G110v2, Speed 5 (tried Speed 4, wound up bumping it up to Speed 5)
    Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    Wolfgang Fuzion
    Optimum Opti-Seal on windows
    M105 and Opti-Seal on side trim around the doors
    Pinnacle Black Onyx tire gel on tires

She got a wipedown with Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant before having her picture taken. There were a minimum of 12 hours in between DGPS, Fuzion, and DGSS.

Clay after about half the car (last got clayed end of October)

Unpolished side

side polished with M105

Swirl free on the polished side

50/50 of trim. Guess which side I used M105 on?

Sun shot. Look at that flake!

No swirls here!

passenger door reflection. Like my Three Stooges shirt?

roof reflection

partial sun shot on the trunk

sun shot on hood

just took this picture because I thought it was kinda cool

I was very pleased with how the trim came out. Since it's smooth plastic, I had never dressed it. Hadn't really done anything to it. Decided to try M105 on it, and wow, what a difference! Hope to get another coat of Fuzion on before too long. Also looking forward to some beading shots. Thanks for looking!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Re: '95 Olds Cutlass Ciera: Detailed with Meguiar's, Menzerna, and Wolfgang

Gorgeous Shane!!! I didn't even know they came in that color. I had a 95 Ciera SL that was Driftwood Metallic (Gold). I loved that car. I had 60k on it and I sold it at the end of '08 for the Vue. Don't get me wrong, I love my Saturn but I miss my Cutty every time I see one go by. Great car and great reliability. I actually had a 2 1/2 inch full exhaust put on it. I know it sounds silly but it got rid of that hesitation when you floor the 3100 V6 at highway speeds and it really opened up the engine.

Sorry, got a bit off topic there but your pics brought back great memories. Keep that Cutty shining!

Comment

Shane, Way to go. Your Cutlass looks fantastic. Love the reflection shors. Hard to believe it is 15 years old. Great work.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Very nice job Shane! The car looks awesome!

That tire dressing you used looks pretty nice as well.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
          Very nice job Shane! The car looks awesome!

That tire dressing you used looks pretty nice as well.
          Thanks! You would pick up on the tire shine, wouldn't you?

That's some good tire dressing. Only used about a third of a 2 ounce sample bottle to do all four tires. I like my tire dressings toned down a bit. Cutty just doesn't look right with blingy tires.
          Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Shane

Comment

Great Job Shane!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Andy
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Nice ! My parents once had a '85 Cutlass Ciera bought new. Wasn't 95 the last year (or very close to) for this model ?

Comment

Originally posted by Skuz View Post
                  Nice ! My parents once had a '85 Cutlass Ciera bought new. Wasn't 95 the last year (or very close to) for this model ?
                  1996 was the last year GM made the Cutlass Ciera. It was replaced with the Oldsmobile Cutlass in 1997.

1997-1999 Cutlass (image from Wikipedia)
                  Shane

Comment

Shane, the car looks better than when it was new. I use to have a '86 Olds Ciera it was my second car. So I also am kinda partial to them.
                    Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Looks like the day it rolled off of the assembly line 15 years ago...nice work!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!
                        Shane

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');