• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got the apron pass!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got the apron pass!!

Just a few short hours ago I got the apron pass to get an enclosed trailer.

I was going to make an announcement on the forum a few weeks ago that my partner and myself had found a fixed location and was about to sign a lease. Well that fell apart. It wouldn't have worked anyway without a few more partners. All the money we would have made would just cover the expenses. Making money is difficult when I can only work on the weekends for now. I knew it was a bad idea. I just felt if I had a building the clients would line up.

In the past weeks I've looked at a few detail companies that offer trailers. Prices started as low as $5000 for a flatbed with gear. I figured I could make something like that myself and save tons of cash. With how much I could save, I could probably step up to an enclosed trailer and still be below the $5000. I might not have all the equipment but it's a start.

After dinner we stopped by Lowes to take a look at their enclosed trailers. We got to talking about the prices. The wife unit didn't like the idea of paying rent every month regardless of how many (or few) cars I detailed. I didn't think she would entertain the idea of spending so much on a hobby. She actually preferred the trailer one time cost rather than a monthly rental cost. That floored me. I thought the smaller monthly costs would be an easy cost to absorb, rather than a big one time cost. I never even thought to mention the trailer idea due to the higher cost.

More to info to come... Just wanted to share

scrub , congrats on the support of your wife , it makes things alot more worth while. As for the trailer , I have a couple idea's I would be more then happy to share with you. I to am purcashing a trailer , actually a couple units to expand my operation. Shot me an email with what you're looking for in a trailer. Couple of questions to think about , what is your tow vehicle? This is a big factor is what size trailer you will be able to tow. Second how many cars do you plan to detail in a day , meaning how much product will you need to carry? Will you need a power source? What equipment to you want to carry? I have a couple of plans that I came up with that may be of interest to you. If you build it yourself you can certainly do it for under $5000 fully equiped and stocked.

thedetailingbarn@comcast.net
    "Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
    -Mark Twain.

Comment

why not just make your own trailer

Comment

Hey scrub,

I am sure everything will work out! Buying a trailer is a big investment.

But, you will be your own boss! Plus, you will be able to go where you need to! Having the wife's support is very important!

Please keep us posted!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

apron pass, that's hilarious
          Chopped 55 Suburban
          99 3.0 CL
          Family cars:
          1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
          48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
          New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
          Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

Scrubs i feel you pain on the renting. My wife did the same thing. Unfortunly i didnt listen and had to give renting the shop a few months down the road .Now Im having to work 3rd. Has soon as I'm able I'll be going mobile.
            Jeff

Comment

I bought my trailer from DeTrailers, it was pricey but having someone put the trailer together who knows what they are doing is worth it. Myself and my wife applied for a credit card with 0% financing (APR) for 1 year to buy it and paid it off before the time expired.

I have a 5X8 Carson trailer with Honda generator and powerwasher and a 100 gallon tank w/ 100ft hose with a 16 gallon wet/dry vac.
              "Washing for the People"

Comment

sounds nice! How are you making a shady area to work?

I think I've seen their website. I'm still looking for an enclosed trailer. Checking the classifieds for a good used unit.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                  sounds nice! How are you making a shady area to work?

I think I've seen their website. I'm still looking for an enclosed trailer. Checking the classifieds for a good used unit.

I just work in the sun unless their is a shady area, I use PB products when I am outside.
                  "Washing for the People"

Comment

What ever came of your trailer?
                    "Washing for the People"

Comment

Re: Just got the apron pass!!

Originally posted by scrub
                      Just a few short hours ago I got the apron pass to get an enclosed trailer.

I was going to make an announcement on the forum a few weeks ago that my partner and myself had found a fixed location and was about to sign a lease. Well that fell apart. It wouldn't have worked anyway without a few more partners. All the money we would have made would just cover the expenses. Making money is difficult when I can only work on the weekends for now. I knew it was a bad idea. I just felt if I had a building the clients would line up.

In the past weeks I've looked at a few detail companies that offer trailers. Prices started as low as $5000 for a flatbed with gear. I figured I could make something like that myself and save tons of cash. With how much I could save, I could probably step up to an enclosed trailer and still be below the $5000. I might not have all the equipment but it's a start.

After dinner we stopped by Lowes to take a look at their enclosed trailers. We got to talking about the prices. The wife unit didn't like the idea of paying rent every month regardless of how many (or few) cars I detailed. I didn't think she would entertain the idea of spending so much on a hobby. She actually preferred the trailer one time cost rather than a monthly rental cost. That floored me. I thought the smaller monthly costs would be an easy cost to absorb, rather than a big one time cost. I never even thought to mention the trailer idea due to the higher cost.

More to info to come... Just wanted to share
                      I think the thing that gets you with a fixed location it has to be some place very visible to drive in traffic and that is too expensive to afford. Otherwise you have to count on dealer business to make ends meet and that kind of takes the fun out of things.
                      "Washing for the People"

Comment

I'm still debating and waiting. My real job is having cut backs. If I get cut I will for sure get the trailer. Right now, I just am trying to make more money than last year and am having good luck. I don't want to drop the cash until I need to. Plus I'm working on some other prospects with a couple of shops locally too. All I need is the time and opportunity. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Re: Re: Just got the apron pass!!

Originally posted by AutoNova
                          I think the thing that gets you with a fixed location it has to be some place very visible to drive in traffic and that is too expensive to afford. Otherwise you have to count on dealer business to make ends meet and that kind of takes the fun out of things.
                          One of my plans involve a dealership. They want a full time detailer on premises. I want to use their building and bring in my own clients too. Maybe I can skip out on the rent thing if I hook up their trade ins and auction cars (within reason). We'll see. The guy in our area that is the best around for used cars just had bypass surgery so I might be able to help him out while he recuperates.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');