• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub/Amp help/advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub/Amp help/advice??

So im been lookin for a sub setup for my car. I listen to A LOT of music and want DEEP, LOUD bass. Im purschasing parts piece by piece! Im kinda poor @ the moment lol

So today i was walkin around best buy lookin @ prices and stuff and saw a KENWOOD KAC-9104D on clearence for $209. So i decided to buy it. My goal is too within the nxt few months to get an ALPINE Type-R 12"??? Is that a good choice? The amps max is 1800 Watts?? Was this a good buy?!?!

Here are so pics....

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT U THINK AND LEAVE TIPS/ADVICE!!! THANKS!!

Re: Sub/Amp help/advice??

Haha I work all summer for 2 12" Type R's a few summers back, They are HEAVY AND LOUD! Overkill IMO but maybe not for your, Type R's rock, but I like the sound of a 10 over a 12 inch. Memphis is another really great brand I think. I have all Alpine in my truck, componet and speakers, sub on day again...
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

Car audio is a lot like auto detailing in the sense that there are MANY differing opinions about what is best, who makes the best stuff, how to use it etc.

That said, a few basics.

Maximum power ratings are worthless. They mean absolutely nothing. Even RMS, or rated power ratings can be misleading because often times they are given at 14.4 volts, which is very unlikely in a car.

As voltage drops to the 12.6 that a battery outputs, so does the rated/RMS output. The exception being JL Audio amps (and possibly others) that adjust according to voltage, but they are a LOT more expensive. My 1000 watt JL amp was about $650, for example.

Now, as for subs, like car wax, there are many differing opinions. Some prefer brand X, other brand Y.

Alpine in general makes some solid products - no top-end, but not quite middle of the pack either - somewhere inbetween.

The Type R 12s will produce a good, clean bass with moderate volume. With that amp you bought (rated at 500rms), I would personally run a single 12. You could get away with two, but you will be slightly underpowering them - especially at higher volumes.

My personal taste and experience finds better sound quality and longevity with slightly surpassing power ratings, as opposed to "playing it safe" and running less power (which results in a clipped signal).

Comment

ok....SO if i were to run a SINGLE 12" Type-R would i run it @ 2 ohms or 4? I think its RATED @ 900W for 2 ohms and 500W @ 4 ohms? WHat does this mean? Would u also run 4 guage wire or 0? and do i need a copaciator? Ive read it likes A LOT of power....?

Comment

Personally, I would run it at 2 ohms. Look up "how to wire in series /parallel" on Google. There are website that use pictures to show the difference and explain impedance (ohms).

4 gauge wire will suffice in a small car - especially if you don't upgrade your alternator and/or battery.

Capacitors are a whole different topic. Personally, I would rather spend the money and effort to do the "Big 3" wiring upgrade than add a capacitor. Google that, too

Comment

I saw the "BIG 3" on youtube. lol. So a compacitor isnt necessary. And ill run it @ 2 ohms. And one more question

Is there a benefit of running 0 guage over 4? In a short, simple way, Whats the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by SX4DUDE2013 View Post
              I saw the "BIG 3" on youtube. lol. So a compacitor isnt necessary. And ill run it @ 2 ohms. And one more question

Is there a benefit of running 0 guage over 4? In a short, simple way, Whats the difference?
              Heavier gauge wire will be able to transmit more power. But given your short distance to run, and the minimal output of the alternator anyway, hassling with heavy and hard to bend 0 gauge isn't worth it.

Save the money and hassle and go with 4 gauge.

Comment

Man, this brings back memories. I had a car in high school that hit 162dB in a dB Drag competition. 10 Strokers pushed by US Amps (digital). That car had 4 alternators and 3" thick plexiglass "windows". Crazy loud.
                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');