• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Static problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static problems!

Help! I've never had a problem like this before. We just bought an 03 Subaru Baja as our dd. The dealer "detailed" it prior to us picking it up. Needless to say, I was unimpressed, and decided since it was warm for December (@40) I'd at least hit the interior plastic with some protectant wipes. Then everything started sticking to it!! We have pets, and although they havent been in the car/truck, the hair kinda comes with us. It looked like someone rubbbed a small dog all over the glove box! So, I decided to try some NXT protectant & a towel instead-this combo multplied my problem about 100%!!! I could HEAR the static! The dash actually was shocking me when I touched it!! I bet if it was dark out, you'd see the electricity!! Anyone have any suggestions?

You might try wiping the surface down lightly with a water dampened microfiber as the water will help to remove the static electricity.

I'll see if I can find anything out about this...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Funny; I've had exactly the same thing happen. Put some NXT protectant on the dash of my SRT-4 with a sponge applicator, and after several wipes, you could hear and feel the static electricity. Temps were probably in the low 40's. Could the cold air have something to do with it?
      2021 BMW X3M Competition - Donington Gray
      2020 Chevy Bolt - Arctic White
      2019 Fiat 124 Spider - Brillante

Some look better than others....

Comment

Try a jumper cable, attached to the frame, and to a cold water pipe. Let set for several hours, you might be surprised...

This certainly works for paint that attracts dust.

Good Luck!

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Well if the car itself is really staticy (ie, it shocks you whenever you get out) you could put a ground strap on the car. A friend of mine did this with his lifted Chevy because when he slided off the seat to get out it would cause a ton of static to be generated. He used some sort of hard conductive material and hung it from the frame underneath and just let it drag on the ground. And it actually worked..

Of course I never thought of the jumper cable to a water pipe idea. Thats a good one.
          Later,
          Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
          Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Well, I just tried the dash foam, and had no static problems. I'm not sure if it was the product, or something else, but I'm just glad it worked And, like all meg's stuff-smells great (a bit strong at first though)

Comment

I have a 99 Saturn with the same static problem. however finding metal on the car is a chore. (The SAturn is all plastic) except the unibody (What thee is of a frame) wiping with water or NXT or whatever in summer (No. Ca. about 80) or winter (40's) still there is static.. I just kinda live with it and it goes away in a day or so
              Scott Neth
              Meguiars-There is NO other-
              http://www.godwriter.net

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');