Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wash and Clay in 1 Step

Re: Wash and Clay in 1 Step

Does the Nanoskin wash mitt mar the paint at all? I kind of use the same type of method with the Speedy Prep Towel, but find that it has a tendency to mar the paint (actually almost looks similar to a very very light wet-sand). When I'm doing a full detail, it's not a big deal as that dullness easily polishes out, but if I'm just doing a wash and wax, I have to dry and use a clay lube and all and it just takes longer. How many cars do you feel like you can do with the Nanoskin too?
    Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
    Foam cannon makes it real easy, nice thick suds. I use chemical guys citrus wash n gloss. This soap is used for stripping wax and sealant, when combined with the nano skin wash mitt you get a squeaky clean smooth finish.
    Hmmm... I always get confused with CG's soaps... why does it have 'n gloss' at the end? (Don't expect you to really answer that, lol.) Have you ever tried Hyperwash? I'm thinking about picking it up or CG's Bug/ Tar soap as a heavy duty maintenance or pre-correction wash. But I want to try the nanoskin with foam to see how it performs and assume a wash with some good lubricity is key.

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Does the Nanoskin wash mitt mar the paint at all? I kind of use the same type of method with the Speedy Prep Towel, but find that it has a tendency to mar the paint (actually almost looks similar to a very very light wet-sand). When I'm doing a full detail, it's not a big deal as that dullness easily polishes out, but if I'm just doing a wash and wax, I have to dry and use a clay lube and all and it just takes longer. How many cars do you feel like you can do with the Nanoskin too?
    Yes, I have had the Nanoskin mar the paint... especially on soft paint systems (Honda, Toyota, etc...) and even on medium hard dark colors. REALIZE, I wasn't using the recommended Glide lubricant that Nanoskin recommends. I was using CG Luber (got it for $10 a gallon so I tried it out... last time with that stuff!)

One of my production oriented packages that includes a wash/decon/wax utilizes an cleaner wax, machine applied with a finishing pad, to clean up any light marring left by the decon.

I haven't tried the foam cannon + nanoskin yet... but I have a feeling this may be the better option as Meticulous has alluded to.

Registered Member

Interesting ideas, I try to make things easy by:
    Foaming the car
    Two Bucket wash
    The take the soap from my two bucket wash and use that as lubrication for my clay bar.
    Works great and no clay lube needed.

Quote Originally Posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
    Also, I believe you are shortening the lifespan of your claybar. By just using water to clay.
    In reading DetailArtist comment, he IS using a clay lube. My Meguiar's clay lube that I use is mixed from a concentrate with, you guessed it, water. So, I don't see where this will shorten the life span of the clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck91 View Post
    That might work on a show car but for a daily driver or a panel with overspray on it you have to really work the clay against the finish and keep the panel properly lubricated while you are doing that.
    When claying directly after a wash, it's not likely that the paint surface will remain flooded with water. If it's an unwaxed "daily driver", it's likely that the water will dry up rather quickly. But again, as I mentioned above, the clay lube is a large percentage of water. The additional water on the paint surface after a wash isn't a hindrance. It's just more of what you're spraying on with the clay lube. If you want to feel like you're getting more lubrication, you can mix the lube 60/40 or 75/25, with the clay concentrate as the higher percentage. (Meguiar's Last Touch is mixed 50/50)

Quote Originally Posted by DetailArtist View Post
    After washing the car, don't dry it, spray your clay lube on the car while its still wet, clay it, rinse again, (and lower the windows at that point so the top inch gets cleaned) THEN you dry it.
    My process exactly! Saves tons of time verses drying, then claying, and drying again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information