• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

deeper scratches and swirls Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deeper scratches and swirls Q

Will I have better luck using 83 and 80 than DC 1 & 2 on more serious scratches and swirls? I am doing a white 96 Breeze for my boss. So far about 90% is removed and everyone is impressed with the PC and DC work. I feel it can be improved though with a bit more work although he is satisified with it. I am not. I guess my question is, would 83 and 80 be a next step up in aggresivieness? Thanks for any comments.
    When it looks good, it runs good

Re: deeper scratches and swirls Q

Originally posted by tn350z
    Will I have better luck using 83 and 80 than DC 1 & 2 on more serious scratches and swirls? I am doing a white 96 Breeze for my boss. So far about 90% is removed and everyone is impressed with the PC and DC work. I feel it can be improved though with a bit more work although he is satisfied with it. I am not. I guess my question is, would 83 and 80 be a next step up in aggressiveness? Thanks for any comments.
    Yes.

The Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a non-abrasive, chemical paint cleaner only and of course the Deep Crystal Polish is completely non-abrasive and is only for adding brilliant gloss.

Re-polishing with only the #80 Speed Glaze will provide much more cleaning power for removing below surface defects. If you boss is happy with what you've done already, re-doing with just the Speed Glaze should really make him happy.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I worked on the car today at work never thinking I would need to bring my camera in. The micromarring and most swirls are gone, but I want to tackle the "cat scratches" on the trunk. I have ordered a whole slew of products that will no arrive for about a week, including 80 and 83. Also I just downloaded the software to resize and crop pictures so I can post them. Excuse my newbieness and thanks for the reply!!
      When it looks good, it runs good

Comment

Hey,

Cat scratches can be quite deep. I suggest you use the #83 that you ordered with a W-8006 Polishing Pad. Set the PC to speed 5 and REALLY work the product into the paint. Move the buffer very slowly with ~ 3-5 lbs of downward pressure on the buffer's head. It may take a couple of passes to remove most/all of the cat scrathes. Some scratches may be too deep and will require a rotary buffer for removal.

Good luck and post some pics when done!!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I was reading a post a couple of days ago where someone was mentioning a problem with micromarring they had after applying #83. Just wondering what exactly this is...similar to swirl marks? Not as bad? How do you know if you've done it and what can fix it?
          Jason
          2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Comment

Hey,

Micro-marring is usually the haze that results from not breaking down the Diminishing Abrasives in the product properly. (This is with cleaners/compounds). However, on darker colors, some VERY light micro-marring may still occur, requiring further steps (see below).

With #83, you need to continue working the product until it is a light dust/residue, then remove with a MF cloth.

On darker colors, I like to follow the #83 with either #82 Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze. Then top with 2 coats of NXT Tech Wax.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by jetta18T
              I was reading a post a couple of days ago where someone was mentioning a problem with micromarring they had after applying #83. Just wondering what exactly this is...similar to swirl marks? Not as bad? How do you know if you've done it and what can fix it?
              Micromaring is similar to swirls, however they are very fine and not deep. Most people will follow 83 with a fine cleaner like 80 or 9. This will clean up any micromaring that was left behind by the 83.

Comment

I agree with 2hotford. He beat me to the post.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');